MySQL vs Sql Server with Visual Studio?

Cirene

From my experience/undertanding SQL Server (and SQL Express) is the
preferred db to use with Visual Studio and is very nicely integrated with
it. It works well with the built in membership, etc...

A collegue of mine, who only has MySQL experience, wants to use only that
instead. I'm about to do a project for him and I really want to use SQL
Server or Express.

What are some other points that I could use to help convince him to migrate
to SQL Express or SQL Server (rather than staying with MySQL)? I could only
think of the built-in membership functionality and the ease of using it with
SQL Express.

Thanks.

George

In a long run it all comes down to who is supporting the project....
So if it's going to be him then use MySql, you do not want to be involved a
year later when he moves to another hosting....

Althoug my prefered choice would be MS SQL :)

George.

sloan

Since people have written Custom Membership Providers for other RDBMS, that
really isn't a huge deal.

Even though I'm 99% Sql Server, if the main developer has the most
experience with another RDBMS, it would be a hard sell to switch.

It also depends on how business critical the application is. Aka, "where
can I get help if I really really need it".

You can design your layers to work with one RDBMS, but do it in a way so
that if you ever switched or needed to support both, it isn't that painful.

See
http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!176.entry
Multiple RDBMS Support and the Factory Design Pattern

daveh551

Since people have written Custom Membership Providers for other RDBMS, that
really isn't a huge deal.

Even though I'm 99% Sql Server, if the main developer has the most
experience with another RDBMS, it would be a hard sell to switch.

It also depends on how business critical the application is. Aka, "where
can I get help if I really really need it".

..

You can design your layers to work with one RDBMS, but do it in a way so
that if you ever switched or needed to support both, it isn't that painful.

Seehttp://sholliday.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!A68482B9628A842A!176.entry
Multiple RDBMS Support and the Factory Design Pattern

There's another issue that has nothing to do with which is "better",
etc, and it may or may not be relevant to your project, but that is
where the site is going to be hosted. I started a project on my own a
few months back (more as a learning exercise than anything) using MS
SQL, but before I got too far into it, I started considering hosting
it commercially. I discovered that almost all the "cheap" hosting
sites that I looked at offer MySQL databases included in the price,
but you have to pay extra for MS SQL databases, if they are available
at all. So, before I got too far into it, I went back and ported it
over.

It does seem to me that the MS SQL connector is somewhat better
integrated into VS (I'm using VS 2005) than the MySQL connector is,
but the latter is workable.

I don't know if that's a factor in this project or not.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Based on your scenario, the only benefit I see to SQL Express (or SQL
Server, same thing) is the Membership bits, which you can easily overcome
with a custom Membership provider. There is probably one out there already
preconfigured with MySQL.