Navigation Suggestions

Jonathan Wood

I'm still pretty new to ASP.NET. I'm developing a site that requires all
users to log on. Once logged on, I can determine which of three types of
users they are (types are implemented using ASP.NET membership roles).

Each type of user will have access to a different set of pages. I can use
roles to specify which pages can be accessed by which type of user.

But I'm trying to determine the best way to display navigation for each type
of user. I'd like to use a common master page. Does anyone have any
suggestions? And would ASP.NET navigation be helpful for providing
role-specific menus?

Also, is there any advantage to placing pages for each type of user in
separate directories?

Thanks for any tips!

Mark Rae [MVP]

But I'm trying to determine the best way to display navigation for each
type of user. I'd like to use a common master page. Does anyone have any
suggestions? And would ASP.NET navigation be helpful for providing
role-specific menus?

If the three menus are similar enough, I'd just have one which you then
amend as necessary as the MasterPage gets loaded by the content pages...
Also, is there any advantage to placing pages for each type of user in
separate directories?

Again, it depends how different the functionality is between the three
types - I guess it would have to be *really* different to justify separate
folders - at that point, you may as well have separate sites, as it's
tantamount to the same thing...

Jonathan Wood

Mark,
If the three menus are similar enough, I'd just have one which you then
amend as necessary as the MasterPage gets loaded by the content pages...

Each of the three menus would probably have a completely different set of
links/pages. Is that what you meant by "similar?"

Do you not really see the ASP.NET navigation controls being helpful for
this?
Again, it depends how different the functionality is between the three
types - I guess it would have to be *really* different to justify separate
folders - at that point, you may as well have separate sites, as it's
tantamount to the same thing...

They will be similar to three separate sites except A) All will be at the
same domain, and B) each will share the same master page and look and feel.

Thanks.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Each of the three menus would probably have a completely different set of
links/pages. Is that what you meant by "similar?"

Do you not really see the ASP.NET navigation controls being helpful for
this?
???

They will be similar to three separate sites except A) All will be at the
same domain, and B) each will share the same master page and look and
feel.

I guess then it might make sense to have them as separate folders - it would
certainly help maintainability...

Jonathan Wood

Mark,
In that case, I'd probably use three separate <asp:Menu /> controls,
hiding any two of them as required...

That might be something to try.

I was thinking the ASP.NET navigation controls might have stuff for showing
different selections based on the role of the current user. But I'm not sure
where I picked up that thought.

Thanks.