Newbie graphic question

Steuben VanBlarcom

Hi, I am trying to make a simple red "circle slash" graphic at a high
resolution to put over another image for a web page. I have Macromedia MX
suite, Paint shop Pro 8 and HTML Kit (white elephants since I decided to
write everythig in notepad) and know how to combine the 2 images. But all I
can do now is download a generic a "circle slash" at a small pixel rate from
Google images and go from there. How would I make from scratch the graphic?
Yes, I have no clue about graphics. What prog would I start with?
Freehand? Fireworks? Paintshop? Thanks in advance for any help.

Steuben said:
Hi, I am trying to make a simple red "circle slash" graphic at a high
resolution to put over another image for a web page. I have Macromedia MX
suite, Paint shop Pro 8 and HTML Kit (white elephants since I decided to
write everythig in notepad) and know how to combine the 2 images. But all
I can do now is download a generic a "circle slash" at a small pixel rate
from
Google images and go from there. How would I make from scratch the
graphic?
Yes, I have no clue about graphics. What prog would I start with?
Freehand? Fireworks? Paintshop? Thanks in advance for any help.

Download the free "Gimp" from (you guessed it) gimp.org.
Also download one of the big sets of documentation.
Go directly to the material about "layers"
Basically, a layer is like a clear acetate sheet. You build
up an image by adding layers with different things on them.
Then you "flatten" the image to a single layer and save it
as a .png, .jpg, or .gif. (Photoshop will also do the job for
several hundred dollars.)

Leslie

Hi, I am trying to make a simple red "circle slash" graphic at a high
resolution to put over another image for a web page. I have Macromedia MX
suite, Paint shop Pro 8 and HTML Kit (white elephants since I decided to
write everythig in notepad) and know how to combine the 2 images. But all I
can do now is download a generic a "circle slash" at a small pixel rate from
Google images and go from there. How would I make from scratch the graphic?
Yes, I have no clue about graphics. What prog would I start with?
Freehand? Fireworks? Paintshop? Thanks in advance for any help.

Paint Shop Pro has a "circle slash" as a pre-set shape. If it's not
part of the program you can find it on the web by searching. There
may also be a tube you can use. Again, freely downloadable by
searching if not already in your files.

Leslie
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

Stephen T. Fox

Serif Software makes such a product. They give away PhotoPlus 5.5 for free,
then pester you to upgrade. However, the 5.5 does a great job and with a
little trial and error you can get the job done. Circles and various shapes
are provided to work with.

Stephen

Steuben VanBlarcom

Stephen T. Fox said:
Serif Software makes such a product. They give away PhotoPlus 5.5 for free,
then pester you to upgrade. However, the 5.5 does a great job and with a
little trial and error you can get the job done. Circles and various shapes
are provided to work with.

Stephen

all

Many thanks all.

Kyle James Matthews

m said:
Download the free "Gimp" from (you guessed it) gimp.org.
Also download one of the big sets of documentation.
Go directly to the material about "layers"
Basically, a layer is like a clear acetate sheet. You build
up an image by adding layers with different things on them.
Then you "flatten" the image to a single layer and save it
as a .png, .jpg, or .gif. (Photoshop will also do the job for
several hundred dollars.)

No need to download Gimp if you already have the Macromedia Suite.
Fireworks should do the job nicely.

Kyle