    both IE and FF display it correctly?

    The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html

    ....Lisa
    hamiltoncruiser, Oct 10, 2008

  2. hamiltoncruiser

    Peter J Ross Guest

    In alt.html on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
    <> wrote:

    > My friend is doing the church website and on his IE browser the top
    > banner looks OK, like this:
    >
    > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST
    > A great place to worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.
    >
    > On my FF browser it looks like this:
    >
    > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
    > worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.
    >
    > Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
    > know how to center it for this post)
    >
    > My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code be written so
    > both IE and FF display it correctly?
    >
    > The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html
    >
    > ...Lisa

    Instead of this horrible mess:

    rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb(255,255,102);"><b><span
    style="font-family: 'MS Serif', serif; font-size: xx-large;"><span
    style="color: rgb(0,51,204);">HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST</span>
    font-size: large;">A great place to worship and
    Old Face', serif; font-size: large; color: rgb(255,255,102);"> There�s

    try something like this:

    <h1>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST<h1>

    You can add styles for formatting after correcting your markup to
    express the text's meaning clearly.

    There are plenty of other faults in your site, but I've confined
    myself to the fault that you asked about.

    For a new site, you should use HTML 4.01 Strict, not HTML 4.0
    Transitional.

    By the way, when I visited this page:
    <http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/html/sunday_sermons.html>
    music suddenly blared from my speakers. If you fix nothing else,
    please fix this. *Nobody* wants to hear sounds that they haven't
    specifically asked for.

    --
    PJR :)
    slrn newsreader v0.9.9p1: http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
    Peter J Ross, Oct 10, 2008

  3. hamiltoncruiser

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter J Ross <> wrote:

    > In alt.html on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
    > <> wrote:

    > > On my FF browser it looks like this:
    > >
    > > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
    > > worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.
    > >
    > > Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
    > > know how to center it for this post)
    > >
    > > My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code be written so
    > > both IE and FF display it correctly?
    > >
    > > The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html
    > >

    > Instead of this horrible mess:

    > rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb(255,255,102);"><b><span
    > style="

    See as possible part explanation:

    Generator with its grand capitalization, for one fleeting moment,
    suggests Deity Himself but then one realises the He is not likely up
    with the latest and still thinks stone tablet technology. Imagine Moses
    getting the commandments via email in a UL (or should the 10 of them be
    in an OL? I have firm ideas about this).

    <g>

    > rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb...
    >
    > try something like this:
    >
    > <h1>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST<h1>
    >
    > You can add styles for formatting after correcting your markup to
    > express the text's meaning clearly.

    For example, you could, in this case

    h1 {text-align: center}

    btw, "fellowship", unlike "worship" does not have a noun form and so the
    sentence it is in looks bad to me.

    > There are plenty of other faults in your site, but I've confined
    > myself to the fault that you asked about.

    Like epistemological and straight out commonsense ones:

    "Those who attend our services are often amazed to see the social,
    economic, and racial diversity that God has poured into our Church
    family..."

    Why, in God's name, would you think such a thing while yet thinking you
    have to be so active? If God is pouring things into your church, why not
    sit back and let everything happen. How come Peter Ross had to help
    here? Does He not know HTML and CSS?

    Anyway, this "pouring" sure does not look like Him helping you to help
    yourself. If he was merely doing that He would have a lighter touch.
    This looks like a takeover by HIM. Perhaps He can't help overdoing
    everything He does. I mean, who else could be as good at megalomania?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 10, 2008
  4. On 2008-10-10, hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    > My friend is doing the church website and on his IE browser the top
    > banner looks OK, like this:
    >
    > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST
    > A great place to worship and fellowship. There?s room for you too.
    >
    > On my FF browser it looks like this:
    >
    > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
    > worship and fellowship. There?s room for you too.
    >

    > Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
    > know how to center it for this post)
    >
    > My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code be written so
    > both IE and FF display it correctly?

    If it's coded correctly, yes.

    > The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html

    The site will not even load into my copy of FF. In fact, it crashes
    the browser. (It's the fault of the <applet>s)

    The page not valid HTML, but that's what you get from Microsoft
    HTML generators. (Microsoft confounds the language of all the Web.)

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Oct 10, 2008
  5. On Oct 10, 5:14 pm, Peter J Ross <> wrote:
    > In alt.html on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > My friend is doing the church website and on his IE browser the top
    > > banner looks OK, like this:

    > > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST
    > > A great place to worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.

    > > On my  FF browser it looks like this:

    > > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
    > > worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.

    > > Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
    > > know how to center it  for this post)

    > > My friend say it can't be fixed for FF.  Can the code be written so
    > > both IE and FF display it correctly?

    > > The site ishttp://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html

    > > ...Lisa

    > Instead of this horrible mess:

    > rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb(255,255,102);"><b><span
    > style="font-family: 'MS Serif', serif; font-size: xx-large;"><span
    > style="color: rgb(0,51,204);">HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST</span>
    > font-size: large;">A great place to worship and
    > Old Face', serif; font-size: large; color: rgb(255,255,102);"> There s
    >
    > try something like this:
    >
    > <h1>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST<h1>
    >
    > You can add styles for formatting after correcting your markup to
    > express the text's meaning clearly.
    >
    > There are plenty of other faults in your site, but I've confined
    > myself to the fault that you asked about.
    >
    > For a new site, you should use HTML 4.01 Strict, not HTML 4.0
    > Transitional.
    >
    > By the way, when I visited this page:
    > <http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/html/sunday_sermons.html>
    > music suddenly blared from my speakers. If you fix nothing else,
    > please fix this. *Nobody* wants to hear sounds that they haven't
    > specifically asked for.
    >
    > --
    > PJR :)
    > slrn newsreader v0.9.9p1:http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
    > extra slrn documentation:http://slrn-doc.sourceforge.net/
    > newsgroup name validator:http://pjr.lasnobberia.net/usenet/validator

    Thanks for your input. I am not in control of all this at al. But I
    will pass your suggestions on.

    ....Lisa
    hamiltoncruiser, Oct 11, 2008

    hamiltoncruiser, Oct 11, 2008
  7. hamiltoncruiser

    Peter J Ross Guest

    In alt.html on Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:14:42 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Peter J Ross <> wrote:
    >
    >> In alt.html on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
    >> <> wrote:

    >> > On my FF browser it looks like this:
    >> >
    >> > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
    >> > worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.
    >> >
    >> > Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
    >> > know how to center it for this post)
    >> >
    >> > My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code be written so
    >> > both IE and FF display it correctly?
    >> >
    >> > The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html
    >> >

    >> Instead of this horrible mess:

    >> rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb(255,255,102);"><b><span
    >> style="

    > See as possible part explanation:

    Yes, that's probably the source of the problem, but the problem can
    still be fixed.

    <snip>

    I've snipped your amusing remarks about Christianity. As a rather
    militant atheist I agree with them, but I don't think they're helpful
    in alt.html.

    Peter J Ross, Oct 11, 2008
  8. hamiltoncruiser

    Peter J Ross Guest

    In alt.html on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:27:31 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
    <> wrote:

    > Thanks for your input. I am not in control of all this at al. But I
    > will pass your suggestions on.

    Perhaps somebody who *is* in control of "all this" might be willing to
    post here. The site isn't badly designed, but the HTML markup is
    horrible.

    Peter J Ross, Oct 11, 2008
  9. hamiltoncruiser

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter J Ross <> wrote:

    > In alt.html on Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:14:42 +1100, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Peter J Ross <> wrote:

    > >> Instead of this horrible mess:

    > >> rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb(255,255,102);"><b><span
    > >> style="

    > > See as possible part explanation:

    > Yes, that's probably the source of the problem, but the problem can
    > still be fixed.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > I've snipped your amusing remarks about Christianity. As a rather
    > militant atheist I agree with them, but I don't think they're helpful
    > in alt.html.

    Yes, I am sure you are right. I'm like a dog I know who is off
    helplessly chasing when he sees a rabbit or a cat or a kangaroo even...
    the poor thing looks quite miffed and puffed out when he is done, never
    ever catching.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 11, 2008
  10. hamiltoncruiser

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > > <h1>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST<h1>
    > >
    > > You can add styles for formatting after correcting your markup to
    > > express the text's meaning clearly.

    > For example, you could, in this case
    >
    > h1 {text-align: center}
    >
    > btw, "fellowship", unlike "worship" does not have a noun form and so the
    > sentence it is in looks bad to me.

    Before being distracted, I had meant to go on and suggest PO's friend
    could also set

    text-align: center

    for the Ps too, so that the text will naturally centre under the H1,
    they being short. Remember that H and P are 100% width by default and it
    is the text that gets centred here.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 11, 2008
  11. hamiltoncruiser

    richard Guest

    Your friend might be educated by looking at www.oswd.org
    and seeing how real coding is done.

    The problem with FF is, FF shows it correctly.
    richard, Oct 11, 2008
  12. On 2008-10-11, richard wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>My friend is doing the church website and on his IE browser the top
    >>banner looks OK, like this:
    >>
    >>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST
    >>A great place to worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.
    >>
    >>On my FF browser it looks like this:
    >>
    >>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
    >>worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.
    >>

    >>Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
    >>know how to center it for this post)
    >>
    >>My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code be written so
    >>both IE and FF display it correctly?
    >>
    >>The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html

    > Your friend might be educated by looking at www.oswd.org

    That's how it should be done? You're joking, right?
    <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/testing/oswd.jpg>

    > and seeing how real coding is done.

    > The problem with FF is, FF shows it correctly.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Oct 11, 2008
  13. hamiltoncruiser

    Bergamot Guest

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    > On 2008-10-10, hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    >>
    >> My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code be written so
    >> both IE and FF display it correctly?
    >> The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html

    > The page not valid HTML, but that's what you get from Microsoft
    > HTML generators.

    I'd agree, except the culprit here is not a MS product. Net Objects
    Fusion is from another company, but is on a par with Publisher, I think,
    i.e. incredibly bad for generating HTML.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Oct 11, 2008
  14. hamiltoncruiser

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Oct 11, 3:47 pm, Bergamot <> wrote:
    > Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    > > On 2008-10-10, hamiltoncruiser wrote:

    > >> My friend say it can't be fixed for FF.  Can the code be written so
    > >> both IE and FF display it correctly?
    > >> The site ishttp://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html

    > >    The page not valid HTML, but that's what you get from Microsoft
    > >    HTML generators.

    > I'd agree, except the culprit here is not a MS product. Net Objects
    > Fusion is from another company, but is on a par with Publisher, I think,
    > i.e. incredibly bad for generating HTML.

    Yes, take a look at the website for it.
    http://www.netobjects.com/
    They claim you can do everything without typeing one line of code,
    it's a bit of a joke really and I would even say the product is a rip-
    off, I mean at least Dreamwever has a good text editor built-in as
    well as the WYSIWYG editor.
    Chaddy2222, Oct 11, 2008
  15. hamiltoncruiser

    Irina Rempt Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > btw, "fellowship", unlike "worship" does not have a noun form and so the
    > sentence it is in looks bad to me.

    "to fellowship", in certain (evangelical?) Christian circles, means "to
    socialise with fellow members of the community in order to promote
    fellowship". I admit it does sound strange; only learned the word myself
    recently, in a fit of serendipity.

    Irina

    --
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
    should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore
    Irina Rempt, Oct 11, 2008
  16. hamiltoncruiser

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 10 Oct 2008, dorayme <> wrote:

    > btw, "fellowship", unlike "worship" does not have a noun form and so
    > the sentence it is in looks bad to me.

    "Fellowship" is a noun(-form) but the sentence to which you refer:

    (HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to worship and fellowship.)

    is actually trying to use it as a verbform (-infinitive).

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    Neredbojias, Oct 11, 2008
  17. hamiltoncruiser

    +mrcakey Guest

    Rather than try to teach the right way to do things, I think the OP is
    likely wanting a quick solution. Since the code is a mess anyway, here is
    that solution:

    After the "Hamilton Church of Christ" bit, add a <br> tag.

    +mrcakey
    +mrcakey, Oct 11, 2008
  18. hamiltoncruiser

    +mrcakey Guest

    "Annoyed" <> wrote in message

    > hamiltoncruiser <> wrote:
    >
    >>My friend is doing the church website

    >>My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code
    >>be written so both IE and FF display it correctly?

    > (Later)
    >
    > hamiltoncruiser <> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for your input. I am not in control of all this at al.
    >>But I will pass your suggestions on.

    > In other words, you rudely wasted the time of all who bothered
    > to try to help you. How very very Christian of you.
    >
    > This sort of thing happens often enough that the regulars
    > here might want to start asking whether the poster has the
    > authority to make changes based upon any suggestions given
    > before wasting time on wankers.

    Your time of the month or something? The OP asked a question on behalf of
    someone else, we answered, he's going to relay our replies.

    +mrcakey
    +mrcakey, Oct 11, 2008
  19. hamiltoncruiser

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 03:31:19 +0000, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    <> wrote:

    >On 2008-10-11, richard wrote:
    >> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My friend is doing the church website and on his IE browser the top
    >>>banner looks OK, like this:
    >>>
    >>>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST
    >>>A great place to worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.
    >>>
    >>>On my FF browser it looks like this:
    >>>
    >>>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
    >>>worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.
    >>>

    >>>Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
    >>>know how to center it for this post)
    >>>
    >>>My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code be written so
    >>>both IE and FF display it correctly?
    >>>
    >>>The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html

    >> Your friend might be educated by looking at www.oswd.org

    > That's how it should be done? You're joking, right?
    > <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/testing/oswd.jpg>

    That's a good one. I'm damn glad now that the examples offered are
    much better than the main site. Maybe they should use one of them eh?

    richard, Oct 11, 2008
  20. hamiltoncruiser

    dorayme Guest

    In article <48f056c8$0$182$4all.nl>,
    Irina Rempt <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > btw, "fellowship", unlike "worship" does not have a noun form and so the
    > > sentence it is in looks bad to me.

    > "to fellowship", in certain (evangelical?) Christian circles, means "to
    > socialise with fellow members of the community in order to promote
    > fellowship". I admit it does sound strange; only learned the word myself
    > recently, in a fit of serendipity.

    OK, I see it differently now... see what happens when I fail to get a
    man on the inside of these groups to report back? Lordy Lord, I have
    been trying for years, their security is so tight!

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Oct 11, 2008