Not Rendering properly in FireFox

Charlie@CBFC

Hi:

I have some Custom server controls (validated textboxes) in a panel on a
form. In Firefox, it looks all hosed up. Also, pictures show place holders
while loading. What are my options for getting things to look right in
firefox?

Thanks,
Charlie

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I find the easiest way to deal with Firefox is to design the HTML for
Firefox and then set the control with a property for browser type. You can
then query the browser type (usually in the page, although it is possible in
the control) and set the property to output the proper HTML for browser
type. A pain? Yes. But, it is part of the growing pains of working with
disparate browsers.

Charlie@CBFC

Hi Gregory:

Are you saying have a dedicated page for each browser type? Then using
HttpBrowserCapabilities figure out which browser it is and redirect to
proper page?

Thanks,
Charlie

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Actually, the opposite. Unless you have so much that is different that it
makes sense to make different pages, I would not go that direction. I would,
instead, change CSS (a common difference) based on browser, etc. The less
client script you use, the better, if you want best compatibility.

If you have to go to separate pages, try to move as much code to a library
as possible, so you are only using binding code in the pages.

BTW, if CSS is your major problem, you can create your template from one of
Expression Web Designers templates to get a decent model. The major pain is
moving from DWT to master pages, but that is not that difficult (drop in
master page and create regions).