notmm is dead!

Discussion in 'Python' started by Etienne Robillard, Oct 4, 2012.

  1. Dear list,

    Due to lack of energy and resources i'm really sad to announce the removal of notmm from pypi and bitbucket. I deleted
    also my account from bitbucket as it was not really useful for me. notmm will continue to be accessible from my master
    site at http://gthc.org/dist/notmm until the server get down, as I cannot find money to pay for the hosting of notmm.org,
    neither anyone to encourage the project so it can grow further.

    I have tried to develop a coherent extension for Django using the open source model but I'm afraid to have been
    bitten by its failure to encourage a free market over one dictated by profit and the use of cheap tricks to compete unfairly
    with perhaps too much openness. I always will also continue to love and use free softwares but sadly it seems asking for a little
    fairness is too much asked to competitors dedicated in stealing and subverting my work for their own advantages...

    I therefore refuse to continue any longer being mocked by competitors asking excessive prices for having a broken Internet dictated by
    a few companies and decide the content I should be visiting.

    Shall you have anything you wish saying I'll be open to discuss further on this list. I wish also to thanks the supporters
    of the project who have invested time and energy into my business and dedication to the notmm project.

    Best wishes,

    Etienne

    --
    Etienne Robillard
    Green Tea Hackers Club

    "If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich." -John F. Kennedy
    Etienne Robillard, Oct 4, 2012

  2. On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 14:10:46 -0400, Etienne Robillard wrote:

    > Dear list,
    >
    > Due to lack of energy and resources i'm really sad to announce the
    > removal of notmm from pypi and bitbucket.

    Well that's just rude. Even if you don't intend to maintain the software
    any more, why are you removing it from pypi? Since you say you are a fan
    of Open Source software, just flag it as unmaintained and leave it for
    somebody else to pick up.

    If you are going to abandon the project, release it on PyPI with a dual
    MIT and GPL licence, and let it be taken over by somebody else.

    If you were looking for sympathy here, starting off by removing your
    project from free hosting, then complaining that you can't pay for the
    non-free hosting, was NOT the right way to do so.

    By the way, the latest version of notmm (0.4.4) has an empty licence
    file. No licence means that everyone using it is unlicenced and therefore
    infringing your copyright.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Oct 5, 2012

  3. Err not exactly.. :)

    Firstly notmm is still ISC licensed and available from here http://gthc.org/notmm/dist/.

    Secondly i don't want to leave it to the hands of people without I can get a single dime for the work did, however some peoples
    don't seem to get this point yet..

    My apologies if you feel this removal was rude anyways. Feel free to contact me again
    if you need further clarification or would like to take over maintainership of a branch
    for a minimal fee.

    Kind regards,

    Etienne

    Etienne Robillard, Oct 5, 2012
  4. Etienne Robillard

    Ian Kelly Guest

    On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Steven D'Aprano
    <> wrote:
    > By the way, the latest version of notmm (0.4.4) has an empty licence
    > file. No licence means that everyone using it is unlicenced and therefore
    > infringing your copyright.

    It's an ISC license. The notmm-0.4.4/LICENSE file is a link to the
    notmm-0.4.4/notmm-0.4.4-rc7/LICENSE file, unless your archiver fails
    to reconstruct the link when untarring, in which case the former ends
    up as an empty file (but the latter is still present).
    Ian Kelly, Oct 5, 2012
  5. You probably have a old tarball or something...

    $ wget http://gthc.org/dist/notmm/notmm-0.4.4.tar.gz
    $ md5sum notmm-0.4.4.tar.gz
    dff1b2ec5373b5157cf79d57169a336e notmm-0.4.4.tar.gz

    Cheers,
    Etienne

    Etienne Robillard, Oct 5, 2012
  6. On Thursday, 4 October 2012 23:40:47 UTC+5:30, Etienne Robillard wrote:
    > Dear list,
    >

    > Due to lack of energy and resources i'm really sad to announce the removal of notmm from pypi and bitbucket. I deleted
    >
    > also my account from bitbucket as it was not really useful for me. notmm will continue to be accessible from my master
    >
    > site at http://gthc.org/dist/notmm until the server get down, as I cannot find money to pay for the hosting of notmm.org,

    Can't you use Google Code?

    Ramchandra Apte, Oct 5, 2012
  7. Steven D'Aprano wrote:

    > Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:22 PM
    > Subject: Re: notmm is dead!
    >
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 14:10:46 -0400, Etienne Robillard wrote:
    >

    > > Dear list,
    > >
    > > Due to lack of energy and resources i'm really sad to announce the
    > > removal of notmm from pypi and bitbucket.

    > Well that's just rude. Even if you don't intendto maintain the software
    > any more, why are you removing it from pypi? Since you say you are a fan
    > of Open Source software, just flag itas unmaintained and leave it for
    > somebody else to pick up.
    >
    > If you are going to abandon the project, release it on PyPI with adual
    > MIT and GPL licence, and let it be taken over by somebody else.
    >
    > If you were looking for sympathy here, starting off by removing your
    > project from free hosting, then complaining that you can't pay for the
    > non-free hosting, was NOT the right way to do so.

    I might be misunderstanding, but I think Etienne wants money in
    exchange for letting someone else take over.

    Prasad, Ramit, Oct 5, 2012
  8. Prasad, Ramitæ–¼ 2012å¹´10月6日星期六UTC+8上åˆ4時06分31秒寫é“:
    > Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    >
    > > Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:22 PM

    > > Subject: Re: notmm is dead!

    > > On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 14:10:46 -0400, Etienne Robillard wrote:

    > > > Dear list,

    > > > Due to lack of energy and resources i'm really sad to announce the

    > > > removal of notmm from pypi and bitbucket.

    > > Well that's just rude. Even if you don't intend to maintain the software

    > > any more, why are you removing it from pypi? Since you say you are a fan

    > > of Open Source software, just flag it as unmaintained and leave it for

    > > somebody else to pick up.

    > > If you are going to abandon the project, release it on PyPI with a dual

    > > MIT and GPL licence, and let it be taken over by somebody else.

    > > If you were looking for sympathy here, starting off by removing your

    > > project from free hosting, then complaining that you can't pay for the

    > > non-free hosting, was NOT the right way to do so.

    > I might be misunderstanding, but I think Etienne wants money in
    >
    > exchange for letting someone else take over.
    >

    > > By the way, the latest version of notmm (0.4.4) has an empty licence

    > > file. No licence means that everyone using it is unlicenced and therefore

    > > infringing your copyright.

    > conditions including on offers for the purchase or sale of
    >
    > securities, accuracy and completeness of information, viruses,
    >
    > confidentiality, legal privilege, and legal entity disclaimers,
    >
    > available at http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures/email.

    I think it is OK to have some string attatched in those open source projects.

    Nowadays the software industry is just like the perfume and prtinting
    and the audio-video entaertainment industry.

    The replication cost is so low. Don't forget the lawsuites in Facebook
    about the participants charged the founder in the courts.
    88888 Dihedral, Oct 6, 2012
  9. On 10/05/2012 07:43 PM, 88888 Dihedral wrote:
    > I think it is OK to have some string attatched in those open source projects.

    What are you talking about? What "string?"

    > Nowadays the software industry is just like the perfume and prtinting
    > and the audio-video entaertainment industry.

    True

    > The replication cost is so low. Don't forget the lawsuites in Facebook
    > about the participants charged the founder in the courts.

    What do lawsuits have to do with replication costs?

    I suppose a person can fail a turing test...
    Michael Torrie, Oct 6, 2012
  10. On Saturday, 6 October 2012 08:29:02 UTC+5:30, Michael Torrie wrote:
    > On 10/05/2012 07:43 PM, 88888 Dihedral wrote:
    >
    > > I think it is OK to have some string attatched in those open source projects.

    > What are you talking about? What "string?"
    >

    > > Nowadays the software industry is just like the perfume and prtinting

    > > and the audio-video entaertainment industry.

    > True
    >

    > > The replication cost is so low. Don't forget the lawsuites in Facebook

    > > about the participants charged the founder in the courts.

    > What do lawsuits have to do with replication costs?
    >

    > I suppose a person can fail a turing test...

    You are talking to a bot.
    Ramchandra Apte, Oct 6, 2012

    Ramchandra Apte, Oct 6, 2012
  12. Etienne Robillard

    alex23 Guest

    On Oct 6, 12:59 pm, Michael Torrie <> wrote:
    > I suppose a person can fail a turing test...

    You did, yes :)
    alex23, Oct 8, 2012
  13. Etienne Robillard

    Dwight Hutto Guest

    On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM, alex23 <> wrote:
    > On Oct 6, 12:59 pm, Michael Torrie <> wrote:
    >> I suppose a person can fail a turing test...

    > You did, yes :)

    What is failed, but a timeline in this scenario, if you found the
    answer in the end?

    Failure becomes answer not given in interval required, but did anybody
    else, and if so...how many?

    --
    Best Regards,
    David Hutto
    Dwight Hutto, Oct 8, 2012
  14. Etienne Robillard

    alex23 Guest

    On Oct 8, 11:45 am, Dwight Hutto <> wrote:
    > What is failed, but a timeline in this scenario, if you found the
    > answer in the end?

    It was a _joke_ referring to Michael Torrie's email addressing the
    88888 Dihedral bot _as if it was a person_.

    > Failure becomes answer not given in interval required, but did anybody
    > else, and if so...how many?

    23? I really have no idea what you're asking here.
    alex23, Oct 8, 2012
  15. On 10/07/2012 08:08 PM, alex23 wrote:
    > On Oct 8, 11:45 am, Dwight Hutto <> wrote:
    >> What is failed, but a timeline in this scenario, if you found the
    >> answer in the end?

    > It was a _joke_ referring to Michael Torrie's email addressing the
    > 88888 Dihedral bot _as if it was a person_.

    Well it would be useful to probe the bot's parameters...
    Michael Torrie, Oct 8, 2012
  16. Jason Friedman, Oct 8, 2012
  17. On 10/07/2012 09:42 PM, Jason Friedman wrote:
    >>> It was a _joke_ referring to Michael Torrie's email addressing the
    >>> 88888 Dihedral bot _as if it was a person_.

    >> Well it would be useful to probe the bot's parameters...

    > Five eights is a busy bot:
    > http://www.velocityreviews.com/foru...start-real-programming-in-c-for-problems.html
    > http://www.edaboard.co.uk/a-cheap-or-free-version-of-system-verilog-t521889.html

    Indeed and he doesn't make much more sense in any of these venues. And
    it does not seem to engage in conversation on any of these other forums
    either.
    Michael Torrie, Oct 8, 2012