Opening Drop Down lists

Tony Scott

I have a SELECT element on my asp that is autopopulated from a search button.
Currently, the user inputs the saecrh term, clicks the button and the drop
down is populated from the DB. The user then select from the list. Everything
simple thus far.
Now I have been asked if I can get the drop down to open automatically
(apparently to save the users the extra click of opening the list!!!), but I
cannot find out how to automate this (then again, I have little momentum to
do so at this stage) and I know this request will rear it's head again
shortly.

Thanks for any help offered.

Kyle Peterson

its a client side javascript issues.. not server side ASP

you should really ask in a more approriate area

Dave Anderson

Tony said:
I have a SELECT element...
...Now I have been asked if I can get the drop down to
open automatically...

A SELECT element is not a "drop down", even though it MAY BE represented as
one:

"Visual user agents are not required to present a
SELECT element as a list box; they may use any other
mechanism, such as a drop-down menu"

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#edef-SELECT

You could always use the SIZE attribute (even on a select-one element)...

--
Dave Anderson