Opera/CSS problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Wayfarer, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Wayfarer

    Wayfarer Guest

    For ultra-picky formatting reasons, my website uses styles that affect
    the line height for the BR tag:

    br.low {line-height: 7px;}

    br.lower {line-height: 1px;}

    They work fine in IE 6, Netscape 7 and Firebird, but Opera just ignores
    them. I've also tried using percentages, with the same results.

    The website is at http://wayfarer.brinkster.net/ and the stylesheet is
    at http://wayfarer.brinkster.net/journeys.css.

    If anyone could counsel me on the correct way to do this, I'd appreciate
    it.

    TIA.

    Wayfarer

    --

    Journeys: http://wayfarer.brinkster.net/
    Wayfarer, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Wayfarer

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Wayfarer said...

    > For ultra-picky formatting reasons, my website uses styles that affect
    > the line height for the BR tag:
    >
    > br.low {line-height: 7px;}
    > br.lower {line-height: 1px;}

    thats just ridiculous

    > They work fine in IE 6, Netscape 7 and Firebird, but Opera just ignores
    > them.

    <quote>
    A line break is defined to be a carriage return (
    ), a line
    feed (
    ), or a carriage return/line feed pair. All line breaks
    constitute white space.
    </quote> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#edef-BR

    operas behavior is correct

    > The website is at http://wayfarer.brinkster.net/ and the stylesheet is
    > at http://wayfarer.brinkster.net/journeys.css.

    i recommend you start again. your html/css is waaaaay more complex
    with all the <div class="nav">? you only need one. etc etc etc

    --
    23/September/2003 04:09:43 pm
    brucie, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Wayfarer <> wrote:

    > For ultra-picky formatting reasons, my website uses styles that affect
    > the line height for the BR tag:
    >
    > br.low {line-height: 7px;}
    >
    > br.lower {line-height: 1px;}

    Tags don't exist in CSS. It's elements that count. What could it possibly
    mean to set the line height of a _line break_? How high can you break a
    line? For an inline element, the property sets the height of the boxes
    generated by the element. The BR is inline, but it generates no box.

    > If anyone could counsel me on the correct way to do this, I'd
    > appreciate it.

    I think you need to specify what "this" is, i.e. to tell what you wish to
    achieve, rather than just mention two CSS rules, which actually should not
    have any effect by the specifications.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 23, 2003