opinion poll: who is better programmer navia or heathfield ?

geese786

Power levels

Richard Heath Field (form 1) - 530,000

form 2 - 1,400,000

form 3 - 3,600,000

form 4 - 30,000,000 (100%)

form 4 + C99 chargeup = 80,000,000 (Very dangerous transformation, its
hard to fight him in this form)

form 4 + C99 Chargup + absorbing energy from all his fake profiles on
CLC - 120,000,000 (Near unbeatable)

Jacob Navia

base power - 600,000

lccoken X 20 = 12,000,000

Super Navia - 150,000,000 (This form was revealted when navia bcame
emotionally distressed after heathffields scathing attacks)

Santosh

base power - 28,000,000

Charged up - 60,000,000

Santosh angry - 136,000,000

Chuck falconer

base power - 200,000

full power - 3,000,000

chuck falconer (final shine) - 44,000,000

Richard Bos

power level 5000

Transformed - 50,000

Enraged - 5,000,000

Kenny McCormack

Its a foolish question because only one of them actually /is/ a
programmer. The other is a troll.

Agreed. But I'll bet we disagree as to who is who.

Dann Corbit

Mark McIntyre said:
Its a foolish question because only one of them actually /is/ a
programmer. The other is a troll.

I guess that both of them are good programmers. But trying to decide who is
a better programmer by using a poll is like voting on the value of pi.

Jacob Navia can be combative, but so can Richard Heathfield.

I think that both of them like to argue, and Richard is just better at it
and so he tends to win the arguments (though Jacob is amazingly adept at not
recognizing his losses).

Jacob likes to go off topic, but his tangents are usually not that bad and I
tend to read his messages rather than killfile him because he has
interesting things to say from time to time.

Richard Heathfield understands the C standard a lot better than Jacob does,
but that does not mean Jacob is a bad programmer.

I'm also starting to change my mind about the Twink fellow, who I originally
thought was a pure troll. I have seen a couple of posts by him that looked
like genuine attempts to be helpful.

However, the unadorned 'Kenny' and 'Richard' are pure trolls with nothing
whatsoever to contribute.

Probably, the originator of this thread is a clone of one of them.

IMO-YMMV

Richard

Dann Corbit said:
[...]

I would dispute that. And I agree with you about Mr Twink. But of course
Twink is killfiled by the hard core simply for pointing out the arrogant
and hostile approach taken by the core c.l.c clique and RH in particular.
Probably, the originator of this thread is a clone of one of them.

IMO-YMMV

Do you see reds under your bed too?

Antoninus Twink

[...]

First of all, Richard has a long history of valuable technical
contributions to this group, and calling him a troll is manifestly
unfair. Kenny may have fallen prey to cynicism here, but he contributes
to several other technical groups and is clearly a serious Usenetter, so
again dismissing him as a troll is unfair.

For myself, I've come to the conclusion that trying to change attitudes
here, whether by anger or debate or humor, is entirely pointless. There
are too many closed minds that are not susceptible to reasoned argument.
The hypocrisies of the regulars have all been pointed out more times
than I can count; even the fun of satirizing them is reduced when they
do such a good job of satirizing themselves - witness CBF's post in the
current "-atof- function..." thread where he makes code "much clearer"
by removing all the vertical space.

So I've come to the conclusion that the most subversive and radical
thing of all will be...just to post good technical advice! There are
already a handful of threads that speak more eloquently than any angry
polemic - several "off topic - go away - we don't care" messages, and then
a single message from a leper and a troll that just answers the OP's
question with no nonsense and no pedantry. The best thing of all is that
so many of the regulars have kill-filed me that my answers don't unleash
the familiar torrent of abusive "off topic!" messages in response.

As The Clique never tire of telling us, this group isn't censored, and
just because they're the noisiest people here, that doesn't mean they
can suppress everyone else's posts. So let's just ignore them in the
same way that they ignore us (they're always so keen to tell the world
who they're "plonking" - as if anyone gives a damn...), and discuss real
world C - which in the opinion of this "troll" is what this group is
actually for!

Joachim Schmitz

Antoninus said:
First of all, Richard has a long history of valuable technical
contributions to this group, and calling him a troll is manifestly
unfair. Kenny may have fallen prey to cynicism here, but he
contributes to several other technical groups and is clearly a
serious Usenetter, so again dismissing him as a troll is unfair. Agreed.

For myself, I've come to the conclusion that trying to change
attitudes here, whether by anger or debate or humor, is entirely
pointless. There are too many closed minds that are not susceptible
to reasoned argument. The hypocrisies of the regulars have all been
pointed out more times
than I can count; even the fun of satirizing them is reduced when they
do such a good job of satirizing themselves - witness CBF's post in
the current "-atof- function..." thread where he makes code "much
clearer"
by removing all the vertical space.
This wasn't CBF, but RH
So I've come to the conclusion that the most subversive and radical
thing of all will be...just to post good technical advice!
Yes, this recent change of your behavoir has been noticed and honoured by
several people meanwhile.

Bye, Jojo

Kenny McCormack

Twink is obviously a sockpuppet. The name is impossible and, until recently,
all he ever did was to respond to Richard Heathfield.

My assumption has always been sockpuppet of Heathfield. Motivation
unclear, but it has been amusing. Always remember that arguing with
yourself is the most satisfying.

Kenny McCormack

Richard Heathfield said:
Time will tell, of course - but if Mr Twink /has/ genuinely changed his
behaviour, that's good news for the group, and means that my campaign to
urge trolls to change the group for the better by positive means, rather
than negative, has begun to bear fruit. Let Kenny McCormack and Richard
Riley take note.

I believe the expression is: Whoosh!

Joachim Schmitz

Richard said:
Joachim Schmitz said:
Antoninus said:
even the fun of satirizing [the regular contributors] is reduced
when they do such a good job of satirizing themselves - witness
CBF's post in the current "-atof- function..." thread where he
makes code "much clearer" by removing all the vertical space.
This wasn't CBF, but RH

Whoosh! The point of my reply (which was, in fact, to an article in
which Chuck *did* show how to remove a lot of vertical space) appears
to have escaped you entirely.
Well, I did understand that this was mean to be funny/ironical.
Or was there more to it? If so that indeed escaped me...

Bye, Jojo

Keith Thompson

Richard Heathfield said:
Joachim Schmitz said:
Antoninus Twink wrote: [the usual, followed by]
So I've come to the conclusion that the most subversive and radical
thing of all will be...just to post good technical advice!
Yes, this recent change of your behavoir has been noticed and honoured by
several people meanwhile.

Time will tell, of course - but if Mr Twink /has/ genuinely changed his
behaviour, that's good news for the group, and means that my campaign to
urge trolls to change the group for the better by positive means, rather
than negative, has begun to bear fruit. Let Kenny McCormack and Richard
Riley take note.

AT has been posting a few articles with technical content, but I don't
believe I've yet seen him post anything that wouldn't be more
appropriate in a different newsgroup. And even if he suddenly started
posting good topical material, I wouldn't personally be inclined to
forgive or forget his past abuses.

Kenny McCormack

Keith Thompson said:
AT has been posting a few articles with technical content, but I don't
believe I've yet seen him post anything that wouldn't be more
appropriate in a different newsgroup. And even if he suddenly started
posting good topical material, I wouldn't personally be inclined to
forgive or forget his past abuses.

Pompous bag of air.

You are not the baby Jesus.

Kenny McCormack

Keith Thompson said:

Forget? No. But the problem with a policy of non-forgiveness is that it is
a downward spiral into bitterness all round. If you won't let a guy off
the hook, you're still hooked to him, and that damages *you*, not him.

<Rolls eyes towards heaven...>

Keith Thompson

Richard Heathfield said:
Keith Thompson said:

Forget? No. But the problem with a policy of non-forgiveness is that
it is a downward spiral into bitterness all round. If you won't let
a guy off the hook, you're still hooked to him, and that damages
*you*, not him.

That's a very valid point, but in this case my lack of forgiveness
would extend only to ignoring anything he has to say. I see no point
in offering forgiveness to this particular person who shows no signs
of wanting it.

I have no expectation that he'll apologize for his past abuses, and no
great desire for him to do so. If he did, it might be a different
story. If he's on a hook, it's one of his own making.

Chad

[...]

I think this has to qualify as the dumbest thread of the year.

spinoza1111

Joachim Schmitz said:
Antoninus said:
[...]

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

Richard, how do you have any time to program? I mean, you're always
here!

When I program, I have to leave off posting. That's because I write
documentation before code and this is time-consuming.

Anyway, I better desist. It has been most illuminating to learn that
you have hounded and harassed two other people (Schildt and Navia)
that actually sat down and wrote compilers, as I have. Do I sense
resentment? Do I detect a pattern? Do I smell a rat? Nawwww...

I gotta get back to spinoza as well as preparing my classes. This is
called "a life". Get one.

Clever Monkey

spinoza1111 said:
Joachim Schmitz said:
Antoninus Twink wrote:
[...]

Yay. Another compiler. Just what we need.

soscpd

With 23 years working on this field, I have never seen a place like
this one. To be honest? I like it! (troll's and sockpuppet's embedded.
Why should one use int, anyway?) :]

Rafael
Yeah, I was kind of in a cave.

Nick Keighley

When I program, I have to leave off posting. That's because I write
documentation before code and this is time-consuming.

have you tried Test driven Development?

It has been most illuminating to learn that
you have hounded and harassed two other people (Schildt and Navia)
that actually sat down and wrote compilers [...]

Schildt wrote a compiler!?
How come the universe didn't implode?

<snip>

--
Nick Keighley

Quantum Boggum Sort:
Q1. use a source of quantum noise (eg. radioactive decay) to
randomly permutate an array.
Q2. if the array is not ordered, destroy the universe (*)
Q3. if you reached this step your universe has sorted the array
in O(n) time.
(*) [100] this is left as an exercise