Oracle 9i XML schema modification

Discussion in 'XML' started by John, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I realize this may be too Oracle specific for this forum-- but I've
    seen a fair amount of postings related to ORacle 9i's XML capabilites
    so I thought I'd give it a shot.

    So, I've read in Oracle's documentatino for 9iR2 that if you want to
    store schema based XML documents in Oracle, you first have to register
    the schema. The problem is that if you want to modify the schema, and
    then subsequently re-register it Oracle will force you to drop the
    existing schema and delete all of the objects/tables/data associated
    with it. Ok, fair enough, I can see how it would be hard to support
    the ability to make any change to an XML schema and have Oracle
    automagically mirgate the data to the new format.

    But what if I just want to make relatively simple changes-- like
    adding an additional text attribute to the schema? Could I "get
    around" this limitation by manually doing an alter type on the
    underlying objects and then changing then carefully updating Oracle's
    copy of the schema to be in synch w/ this new underlying attribute
    (but not re-registering the schema)? I can't think of why not-- but
    what are your thoughts on this?

    John, Dec 4, 2003