    I guess security is one issue here, the ASP.NET user or Internet Guest
    account may need access to an Oracle directory and I don't know where.
    Any help will be appreciated.

    Chris Botha, Nov 9, 2005

  2. as a start - throw away Oracle and get a database that alllows
    interconnectivity............oracles awful for it...

    Failing that (not always an option sadly) - if it works from your desktop,
    try running the application as the same named account in your applications
    web.config and see what happens

    <identity impersonate="true"
    userName="domain\user"
    password="password" />

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    ASP.NET MVP
    Microsoft Regional Director

    John Timney \( MVP \), Nov 9, 2005

  3. Chris Botha

    Chris Botha Guest

    Hi John, Oracle is not my choice, I don't call it Oracle around here, but it
    is not for publication.
    Thanks for your answer, but if you read towards the end of my post, see
    that's what I did (impersonation) and that it then crashes the
    aspnet_wp.exe.
    So I was hoping ..., actually I don't know what I was hoping for, but
    thanks.

    Chris Botha, Nov 9, 2005
  4. not sure why the error text cannot be displayed..

    ASPNET account should get read and execute access to the oracle bin dir
    (where ever oci.dll is) and directory of tnsnames.ora file (? - not sure this
    is required)

    Also it is adviced to reboot the machine after oracle installation &
    changing dir permissions..

    I have had success with steps mentioned in this article.. (same for asp &
    ..net)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q255084&LN=EN-US

    =?Utf-8?B?U3JlZWppdGggUmFt?=, Nov 9, 2005
  5. Chris Botha

    Chris Botha Guest

    Hi Sreejith, I did look at the article yesterday and went through it now
    again. Unless I am missing something there it does not help :-(
    Thanks though.

    Chris Botha, Nov 9, 2005
  6. Check your impersonation works without Oracle in the loop and see what that
    does. It will at least ensure your application (or asp.net) isn't causing
    this.....

    John Timney \( MVP \), Nov 9, 2005
  7. Chris Botha

    Chris Botha Guest

    I am an old hand when it comes to impersonation :-(
    Without impersonation it seems that (or this is what I think) it is trying
    to access some file to get the error message from, hence "Error while trying
    to retrieve text for error ORA-01019".
    When impersonating it can access something, because it goes past that stage
    (I think), but then crashes the aspnet_wp.exe.
    In the Windows app it works, so it is as if the Windows app and ASP look for
    the Oracle stuff in different places (I think). As you can see, I am doing a
    lot of thinking.

    Chris Botha, Nov 9, 2005
  8. My next guess would be that your not using a system DSN as if your accessing
    it from the desktop OK it must be accessing the TNS names file OK? It might
    be that it cant access that file in your system if your not.

    John Timney \( MVP \), Nov 9, 2005
  9. Chris Botha

    Chris Botha Guest

    No, I am using the exact same code, copy and paste from the Win. app into
    the Web app.
    You got me with the TNS names file, not my area. Our Oracle "expert" is out
    of the offices for two days.
    From my research on "ORA-01019" (nice way of saying type it into Google)
    something called "ORACLE_HOME" crops up now and then. So it may be that the
    thing is set (environment variable?) when running a Win. app but that it is
    not set in the ASP environment. Or the Oracle directory is in the "path"
    environment variable for desktop apps (which it is, type "Set" on a command
    prompt) and not for ASP.
    I don't know, I was never an Oracle fan and this is not helping.

    Chris Botha, Nov 9, 2005
  10. Then I would guess thats yourt problem, as the system DSN should be able to
    access the TNS Names stuff, and the environment variables for you. I'm not
    an Oracle fan either - why they cant just always use a simple web service to
    acess an opracle DB when their integration is so complicated is beyond me.

    John Timney \( MVP \), Nov 10, 2005
  11. Chris Botha

    Paul Clement Guest

    ¤
    ¤ I guess security is one issue here, the ASP.NET user or Internet Guest
    ¤ account may need access to an Oracle directory and I don't know where.
    ¤ Any help will be appreciated.
    ¤

    I would definitely start with the security issue:

    Problem Description
    -------------------

    When running an application using the Oracle9i Release 2 (9.2.0.1.0) install
    of client software and that attempts to connect to an Oracle database with the
    Authenticated User privilege (such as when you use Microsoft's Internet
    Information Server (IIS)) through any of the following programmatic interfaces

    1. Oracle Provider for OLE DB
    2. Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle
    3. Oracle ODBC Driver
    4. Microsoft ODBC for Oracle
    5. Oracle Objects for OLE (OO4O)
    6. Microsoft .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle

    you may receive one of the following errors:

    (1) Oracle Provider for OLE DB

    (a) Error Type: Microsoft OLE DB Service Components (0x80070005)

    Access is denied.

    (b) OraOLEDB.Oracle Provider is not registered on the local machine

    (2) Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle

    (a) Error Type: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle (0x80004005)

    Oracle client and networking components were not found. These
    components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the
    Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation. Provider
    is unable to function until these components are installed.

    (b) Error Type: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle (0x80004005)

    Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved
    from Oracle.

    (3) Oracle ODBC Driver

    (a) Error Type: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)

    Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 5 (Oracle
    in OraHome92).

    (4) Microsoft ODBC for Oracle

    (a) The Oracle(tm) client and networking components were not found.
    These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part
    of the Oracle Version 7.3 (or greater) client software installation.

    You will be unable to use this driver until these components have
    been installed.

    (b) Error number: -2147467259

    Error Description: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's
    SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed

    (5) Oracle Objects for OLE

    (a) while using a GLOBAL.ASA file

    Error Type: Active Server Pages (0x0)

    An error occurred while creating object 'OraSession'.

    (b) not using a GLOBAL.ASA file

    Error Type: Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A0046)

    Permission denied: 'CreateObject'

    (6) Microsoft .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle

    (a) System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL (oci.dll).
    at System.Data.OracleClient.DBObjectPool.GetObject(Boolean&
    isInTransaction)
    at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnectionPoolManager.
    GetPooledConnection(String encryptedConnectionString,
    OracleConnectionString options, Boolean& isInTransaction)
    at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnection.OpenInternal
    (OracleConnectionString parsedConnectionString, Object transact)
    at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnection.Open()
    at WCWSItemAvailability.ETAAvailability.SingleAvailability(String
    ItemNumber, String BusinessUnit, Int32 OrderQty, Int32&
    AvailableQty, Int32& OnHandQty, String& ETADate, Int32& Error)
    at WCWSItemAvailability.ETAAvailability.XMLAvailability(String
    XMLInput)

    (7) Other miscellaneous errors

    (a) The Specified Module Could Not Be Found

    (b) ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
    ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified

    (c) Unable to load DLL (OraOps9.dll):
    [DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL (OraOps9.dll).]

    (d) System Error 998 trying to run ASP page

    Solution Description
    --------------------

    Oracle 9.2 Client software requires that you give the Authenticated User
    privilege to the Oracle Home by following these steps:

    1. Log on to Windows as a user with Administrator privileges.

    2. Launch Windows Explorer from the Start Menu and navigate to the
    ORACLE_HOME folder. This is typically the "Ora92" folder under the
    "Oracle" folder (i.e. D:\Oracle\Ora92).

    3. Right-click on the ORACLE_HOME folder and choose the "Properties" option
    from the drop down list. A "Properties" window should appear.

    4. Click on the "Security" tab of the "Properties" window.

    5. Click on "Authenticated Users" item in the "Name" list (on Windows XP
    the "Name" list is called "Group or user names").

    6. Uncheck the "Read and Execute" box in the "Permissions" list under the
    "Allow" column (on Windows XP the "Permissions" list is called
    "Permissions for Authenticated Users").

    7. Re-check the "Read and Execute" box under the "Allow" column (this is
    the box you just unchecked).

    8. Click the "Advanced" button and in the "Permission Entries" list make
    sure you see the "Authenticated Users" listed there with:

    Permission = Read & Execute
    Apply To = This folder, subfolders and files

    If this is NOT the case, edit that line and make sure the "Apply onto"
    drop-down box is set to "This folder, subfolders and files". This
    should already be set properly but it is important that you verify this.

    9. Click the "Ok" button until you close out all of the security properties
    windows. The cursor may present the hour glass for a few seconds as it
    applies the permissions you just changed to all subfolders and files.

    10. Reboot your computer to assure that these changes have taken effect.

    Re-execute the application and it should now work.

    Explanation
    -----------

    If you install Oracle9i Release 2 (9.2.0.1.0) on a computer running Windows
    with an NTFS partition, the contents of ORACLE_HOME directory will not be
    visible to users who are authenticated on that machine. These permissions
    were not set properly when the software was installed.

    Applications that were working fine with previous versions of Oracle software
    will stop working when they upgrade to Oracle 9.2.

    NOTE: The application will continue to work if the user has logged onto the
    machine as an Administrator.

    Any application that is using the Authenticated User privilege will not work.
    A notable example would be IIS which might service some of the requests based
    on the Authenticated User privileges.

    To demonstrate the problem in further detail, you can log on to the operating
    system as an authenticated machine user. You won't be able browse the contents
    of the ORACLE_HOME directory demonstrating your inability to load any Oracle DLLs
    or make a connection.

    Additional Information
    ----------------------

    The above error messages may not only be encountered when using Oracle 9.2
    client software but may also exists when running into general permissions
    issues using third party products on a Windows platform.

    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

    Paul Clement, Nov 16, 2005
  12. Chris Botha

    Chris Botha Guest

    Hi Paul, thanks a lot for the comprehensive reply.
    I re-installed the Oracle stuff a few days ago and am still not there, I was
    getting the "Oracle client and networking components were not found..."
    error, but am applying the security settings as per the article (ran out of
    time today).

    Thanks again.

    Chris.

    Chris Botha, Nov 17, 2005
  13. Chris Botha

    Chris Botha Guest

    No, no joy, definitely not security now any more. From the Web app I can
    physically write a test text file into the Oracle directories. Works from a
    WinApp, problem is IIS does not know where the stupid Oracle stuff is
    installed, giving the error:
    Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are
    supplied by Oracle Corporation .....

    Thanks in any case.

    Chris Botha, Nov 17, 2005
  14. Chris Botha

    Paul Clement Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:55:34 -0500, "Chris Botha" <> wrote:

    ¤ No, no joy, definitely not security now any more. From the Web app I can
    ¤ physically write a test text file into the Oracle directories. Works from a
    ¤ WinApp, problem is IIS does not know where the stupid Oracle stuff is
    ¤ installed, giving the error:
    ¤ Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are
    ¤ supplied by Oracle Corporation .....
    ¤

    OK, if you've configured your system according to the Oracle information try some suggestions from
    the Microsoft KB article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;Q255084

    Paul
    ~~~~