OT: Atkins diet

Whitecrest

The Atkins diet doesn't mean you stay off of glucose
forever, as Whitecrest stated, it's only for a short period
that fruits aren't in the diet, it's reintroduced, and you
can eat lots of it for the rest of your life.

The misinformation about Atkins (and other low carb diets) is people
think you have to stay in the induction phase (< 20 carbs a day) your
entire life. in reality that lasts about 2 weeks. After that you start
eating fruit and vegies. In the maintenance phase you get (it varies
person to person) is between 60 and 90 carbs a day. Thats quite a few
bananas...

Karl Groves

Lois said:
:
: Weightloss is so simple, I'm not sure why people make such a big deal out
of
: it.
:
: A calorie is a measurement of energy.
: To lose weight, you only need to expend more energy than you take in.

It isn't that simple. People with faster metabolisms burn calories faster,
and people with slow metabolisms burn calories more slowly. People respond
differently to different types of food too. Some people gain weight a lot
faster when they eat simple carbs, while others don't. If a person's body
goes into starvation mode from a restricted diet, the body will struggle to
hang onto every ounce of fat. People in that situation have a better chance
of losing weight if they eat *more.* When you eat also affects how calories
are burned. And so on.

While it is true that simple sugars (i.e. fructose) will cause insulin
spikes and therefore increased absorbtion, the premise is the same:
Once a calorie is stored, it doesn't matter where the calorie came from.
Eating *too much[1]* of anything will cause it to be stored as fat. Eat too
much fat and it gets stored as fat. Eat too much carbohydrate and it gets
stored as fat. Eat too much protein and it gets stored as fat.

For the general populace all it takes to lose weight, is to expend more
energy therefore burning calories. There are things[2] people can do that
have been found to use fat as the energy source rather than glucose, but all
it often takes for most people to lose weight is to just get off of their
fat asses and do *something* active

[1] - "Too Much" being defined as more than the body requires to meet the
demand for its quest toward homeostasis
[2] - As part of an exercise regimen, it has been reported that extended
periods (>45mins) of low intensity aerobics will utilize fat as its source
of energy.

PW

Whitecrest said:
Well, after 1 year on a low carb lifestyle I am now 100 pounds lighter
than I was a year ago!

I started Atkins 2 weeks ago and have lost 5kg so far. Want to loose
another 15.

Hywel

Hmm... weight watchers... 9 weeks, lost 22 pounds thus far... only 15 to go
until I'm at my ideal 195 lbs. Never tried Atkins but the people I work
with that are on it struggle and I, well quite frankly, don't struggle --
but the nature of the diets are different and mine is more a change of
eating habbits than it is a diet.

I went trekking in North Africa two years ago. On day 6 of the trek I
fell ill due to heat exhaustion and could only manage to eat a Mars or
Snickers, and five or six litres of water, a day, while continuing with
the trek. It's quite strange, walking in 40 celcius heat, drinking
loads of water, and not sweating at all.

I managed to lose 11 pounds in 15 days, dropping a further 9 pounds over
the next 11 days. 10% weight loss in that space of time isn't
particularly healthy, but the method was far quicker than WeighWatchers,
and a shed load cheaper (cost of holiday + kit + spends - about £1,400).

Whitecrest

I went trekking in North Africa two years ago.

I did the same with the Military in 77. Awesome trip (actually it was
just Egypt, but that is still Northern Africa)

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Hywel said:
I went trekking in North Africa two years ago. On day 6 of the trek I
fell ill due to heat exhaustion and could only manage to eat a Mars or
Snickers, and five or six litres of water, a day, while continuing with
the trek. It's quite strange, walking in 40 celcius heat, drinking
loads of water, and not sweating at all.

I managed to lose 11 pounds in 15 days, dropping a further 9 pounds over
the next 11 days. 10% weight loss in that space of time isn't
particularly healthy, but the method was far quicker than WeighWatchers,
and a shed load cheaper (cost of holiday + kit + spends - about £1,400).

I was anorexic once. Eating nothing but saltine crackers and apple juice
for 9 months will really take off the weight. :p"

--Tina

Whitecrest

I was anorexic once. Eating nothing but saltine crackers and apple juice
for 9 months will really take off the weight. :p"

I did the Crack and exlax diet for a while....

Neal

I went trekking in North Africa two years ago. On day 6 of the trek I
fell ill due to heat exhaustion and could only manage to eat a Mars or
Snickers, and five or six litres of water, a day, while continuing with
the trek. It's quite strange, walking in 40 celcius heat, drinking
loads of water, and not sweating at all.

I managed to lose 11 pounds in 15 days, dropping a further 9 pounds over
the next 11 days. 10% weight loss in that space of time isn't
particularly healthy, but the method was far quicker than WeighWatchers,
and a shed load cheaper (cost of holiday + kit + spends - about £1,400).

I got laid off once and spent months looking for work. In the process I
lost about 25 pounds by eating less food. So mine was cheaper :p