OT: IE in the news

Tim Greer

Jonathan said:
My customers wouldn't agree. That is how they get to preview their
commissions!

To each their own. Certainly there are valid and good reasons for it.
I guess my circle of people prefer viewing HTML and images via a web
browser overall (including reports, graphs, invoices, etc.) I prefer
that and text based emails for data such as the previously listed
things. Again, preference.

Adrienne Boswell

That sounds like the single one feature I'm missing in both OE and
Mailsmith.

Too bad Eudora doesn't have the other options I want: 3 pane view (not
a slide out drawer on the wrong side of the window), separate email
accounts without having to make a bunch of personalities for each of
which you need to check email separately, and which open in separate
windows. Maybe I've missed settings that would give me the ordinary
system of automatically checking multiple email accounts, and having a
single window with a hierarchical set of folders in a 3rd pane (on the
left! ;-))?

My favorite is Pegasus. Yes, I know it's old, but I think that's what I
really like.

The things I like best are trays and folders. I have one tray for
clients, and separate folders in each tray for each client, and
subfolders under those for sent mail/issues/hosting, etc. I also have a
separate tray for property management, and that tray has sub trays for
each property, etc.

I also like the fact that I can have several idenities, but not have to
change identities to get/send mail for each one. Composing under
different identities is easy to do on the fly.

Excellent filtering, easy list management, merge and templates, even a
special thing for phone messages.

And yes, three pane view.

Have a look, you might like it.

Blinky the Shark

Els said:
No, I wasn't aware of that. But really - I'd need TB, *and* install
extensions to get what I already have in OE? Granted, I use OE also with
"extension" Quotefix, but I already have that installed, so it's zero
effort to keep using it.

I was only saying that as with FF there are lots of customizations
available for TB. I didn't want to leave what you mentinoed as
there's-no-way-to-fix-it when there is, and it's not difficult.

Blinky the Shark

Jonathan said:
Have to take that up with the developers. Maybe they thought the color
bars are easier to keep track of the level of quoting...in TB the color
changes with the level sometimes

It's just more dumbing-down. Remember, TB is pretty much an
entry-level only-better-than-OE client.

Tim Streater

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Oh, sure you can direct copies of composed messages to sent or any other
folder that you choose or create. All account can go to a single
destination or different, whatever you choose. It's under "Account
settings > Copies & Folders"

I'm talking about on an individual, message-by-message,
not-related-to-any-account basis. Not a global setting for an account of
"Send messages for this account to this folder".

Jonathan N. Little

Tim said:
I'm talking about on an individual, message-by-message,
not-related-to-any-account basis. Not a global setting for an account of
"Send messages for this account to this folder".

Okay if it is NOT

"send any messages meeting this criteria to specific folder"

NOR

"send any messages sent from this account to specific folder"

NOR

"send any messages sent from any account to specific folder"

NOR

"send any messages received by this account to specific folder"

NOR

"send any messages received by any account to specific folder"

Then what pray tell are you talking about? What else is left, "any
messages neither sent nor received from any account send to specific
folder!"

Jonathan N. Little

Tim said:
To each their own. Certainly there are valid and good reasons for it.
I guess my circle of people prefer viewing HTML and images via a web
browser overall (including reports, graphs, invoices, etc.) I prefer
that and text based emails for data such as the previously listed
things. Again, preference.

I do for LARGE media. Even if one has broadband the encoding required to
allow binary data to be transmitted via mail servers nearly doubles the
byte size of any image. But for small preview images with remarks on
projects for my customers' review. I one time affair, it is silly to
have to compose, upload, and link to avoid a 50-150 Kb email!

Bergamot

Adrienne said:
My favorite is Pegasus.

My favorite is any mail system that integrates my email adressbooks with
Open Office. TB/Seamonkey addressbooks do. Will Eudora or Pegasus,
without an LDAP server?
Have a look, you might like it.

It does otherwise have a nice feature set.

Tim Streater

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Okay if it is NOT

"send any messages meeting this criteria to specific folder"

"criterion". "criteria" is plural.
NOR

"send any messages sent from this account to specific folder"

NOR

"send any messages sent from any account to specific folder"

NOR

"send any messages received by this account to specific folder"

NOR

"send any messages received by any account to specific folder"

Then what pray tell are you talking about? What else is left, "any
messages neither sent nor received from any account send to specific
folder!"

What *you* are talking about involves, when you set up the filter,
choosing which folder is involved. So that is fixed, pre-defined.

What I am talking about is choosing the folder ON THE FLY when I am
composing the message. Since I can choose any folder at that moment, the
selection is unrelated to the account I am using to send the mail from.

Actually the selection is *loosely* related. I have four accounts I use,
one being personal and the other three work-related. For the work
related ones I have about 20 or so mailboxes where I might want sent
copies to go. Only for one account is there a strict account-mailbox
relation. For the other three, I need to choose where I want it to go on
a mail by mail basis.

The only way it could be done with filters would be if a filter had the
ability to interact with the user (which I have never seen, but not to
say it can't exist). So, rather than choosing a mailbox when you set up
the filter, you can have a filter statement such as "Now ask user to
choose a mailbox". That would allow you to build a filter to do what
Eudora does.

Jonathan N. Little

Tim said:
"criterion". "criteria" is plural.

True, but where is it said there was more than one rule in the selection?
What *you* are talking about involves, when you set up the filter,
choosing which folder is involved. So that is fixed, pre-defined.

What I am talking about is choosing the folder ON THE FLY when I am
composing the message. Since I can choose any folder at that moment, the
selection is unrelated to the account I am using to send the mail from.

Okay...personally I would find this of limited value, I in such a case I
just drag a copy to whatever folder desired. I typically sort and drag
to folders when archiving. I have archive folders dating back to the 90's.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Tim Streater
What I am talking about is choosing the folder ON THE FLY when I am
composing the message. Since I can choose any folder at that moment, the
selection is unrelated to the account I am using to send the mail from.

Pegasus does this. I can set up filters that automatically place copies,
or the program will ask me where I want to put the copy if there is no
filter available, or it will just put it into a sent folder if I have not
set up the program to ask me.

Tim Greer

Jonathan said:
I do for LARGE media. Even if one has broadband the encoding required
to allow binary data to be transmitted via mail servers nearly doubles
the byte size of any image. But for small preview images with remarks
on projects for my customers' review. I one time affair, it is silly
to have to compose, upload, and link to avoid a 50-150 Kb email!

I didn't mean to insinuate anyone should have to upload anything. I
actually meant that in those cases, for even small images, it is often
auto-generated on the server, so this is why we link to it and send a
text equivalent via email. It's all preferences, but if you have to
compose it, upload, etc. and it's all email based, I'd do the same
myself, I'm sure.

Tim Greer

Ben said:
Also the news is full of much worse scare stories all the time than
computer security exploits so I think most people just filter it out.

Maybe. However, I think the main sites like CNN have their sections
with the 2-4 primary story titles, and it is pretty targeted. I don't
pay attention to them since I don't use OE or IE, but I do read them
for the sake of our clients and any questions they might have (somehow
people think their web host is their personal computer support team as
well -- we don't mind helping them, so we try and keep up on that stuff
to some point, even if it's not related to our service). So, I see it
often enough where I'd assume people get notified that way as well, but
that's not to say people do.

Tim Greer

Tim said:
it is often
auto-generated on the server,

To be clear (in _our_ cases, it is often generated), which is why we
link to it and send a text copy over email.

Jonathan N. Little

Tim said:
To be clear (in _our_ cases, it is often generated), which is why we
link to it and send a text copy over email.

Sure as would I if it were a bulk mailing, newsletter, announcement and
such. But I was talking about a one-off message to a client. It would
make no sense. But here is no excuse for the multi-megabyte emails! I am
stuck with dialup (here in the third-world USA) and these whoppers
appear and clog my Inbox far to often!

Tim Greer

Jonathan said:
Sure as would I if it were a bulk mailing, newsletter, announcement
and such. But I was talking about a one-off message to a client. It
would make no sense. But here is no excuse for the multi-megabyte
emails! I am stuck with dialup (here in the third-world USA) and these
whoppers appear and clog my Inbox far to often!

Pardon, I just assumed you were talking about some invoice type of
thing, where it might be generated on the server. A personalized email
to a client, indeed would be best just emailed.

Blinky the Shark

Andrew said:
It's actually quite a powerful feature. Thunderbird treats indented quotes
as nested blockquote elements (even for plain text posts) which can be
styled with a user CSS file. The default coloured bars are left borders. I
changed mine so that older and more deeply nested quotes fade more and
more to grey. I'm sure Els would have no trouble coming up with something
appealing if she wanted. I was sufficiently pleased with this feature that
I never did find out how to revert to plain angle-bracket quoting.

The color bars is an attempt to fix something that was not broken. For
more visual separation between quote levels, many news clients - including
ones I have - allow the user to set a distinctive color for all of the
text in a level. Been that way for years.

Els

Adrienne said:
My favorite is Pegasus. Yes, I know it's old, but I think that's what I
really like.

The things I like best are trays and folders. I have one tray for
clients, and separate folders in each tray for each client, and
subfolders under those for sent mail/issues/hosting, etc. I also have a
separate tray for property management, and that tray has sub trays for
each property, etc.

I also like the fact that I can have several idenities, but not have to
change identities to get/send mail for each one. Composing under
different identities is easy to do on the fly.

Excellent filtering, easy list management, merge and templates, even a
special thing for phone messages.

And yes, three pane view.

Have a look, you might like it.

Sounds quite good actually, I may give it a try - thanks.

Els

Andrew wrote:

[coloured bars in Thunderbird]
It's actually quite a powerful feature. Thunderbird treats indented
quotes as nested blockquote elements (even for plain text posts) which
can be styled with a user CSS file. The default coloured bars are left
borders. I changed mine so that older and more deeply nested quotes fade
more and more to grey. I'm sure Els would have no trouble coming up with
something appealing if she wanted.

True. I've already come up with that: regular ">" markers :)
Really, it's not colours that bother me - it's the bars themselves.
I was sufficiently pleased with this
feature that I never did find out how to revert to plain angle-bracket
quoting.

Apparently only possible with an extension. Strange enough it does
revert to plain angle-bracket quoting for composing in plain text.

Bergamot

Adrienne said:
Pegasus does this.

FYI, one thing Pegasus does not do is honor my Windows system display
settings. The type size in the UI is uncomfortably small to me, making
it unusable. I poked around their forums and found this is a known
problem with no work around at this time. Too bad, coz it sounded pretty
good.