OT: IE in the news

Will

Els said:
That sounds like the single one feature I'm missing in both OE and
Mailsmith.

Too bad Eudora doesn't have the other options I want: 3 pane view (not
a slide out drawer on the wrong side of the window), separate email
accounts without having to make a bunch of personalities for each of
which you need to check email separately, and which open in separate
windows. Maybe I've missed settings that would give me the ordinary
system of automatically checking multiple email accounts, and having a
single window with a hierarchical set of folders in a 3rd pane (on the
left! ;-))?

I use Eudora, and have exactly the setup that you wish for :)

Tim Streater

[QUOTE="Will said:
That sounds like the single one feature I'm missing in both OE and
Mailsmith.

Too bad Eudora doesn't have the other options I want: 3 pane view (not
a slide out drawer on the wrong side of the window), separate email
accounts without having to make a bunch of personalities for each of
which you need to check email separately, and which open in separate
windows. Maybe I've missed settings that would give me the ordinary
system of automatically checking multiple email accounts, and having a
single window with a hierarchical set of folders in a 3rd pane (on the
left! ;-))?

I use Eudora, and have exactly the setup that you wish for :)[/QUOTE]

I imagine you're using the Windows version? I think Els must be using
the Mac version which I (as a Mac user) consider to be inferior
precisely because the Windows version allows you to dock the various
components into a single window. And it has tabs, too, which means I
could have five mailboxes open, be in the process of reading ten emails
and replying to five of them, with only a single application window to
manage.

Els

Tim said:
[QUOTE="Will said:
Tim Streater wrote:

I'm not talking about filters, Eudora has those too. I'm talking about,
as you compose a mail, being able to choose a destination folder there
and then for the sent mail. I'm talking about, as I compose a reply
mail, knowing that after it has been sent, a copy will be in the
original folder regardless of which one the original mail was in,and
without having to set up a filter for that particular folder.

[...]

manage.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up :)
I did indeed check out the Mac version, when I was searching for a
good Mac email client. (found one in Mailsmith btw)

I don't understand why a single app would have different features in
different OSes though, especially when they really make a difference.

Tim Streater

Els said:
Tim said:
[snip]
I imagine you're using the Windows version? I think Els must be using
the Mac version which I (as a Mac user) consider to be inferior
precisely because the Windows version allows you to dock the various
components into a single window. And it has tabs, too, which means I
could have five mailboxes open, be in the process of reading ten emails
and replying to five of them, with only a single application window to
manage.

Thanks for clearing that up :)
I did indeed check out the Mac version, when I was searching for a
good Mac email client. (found one in Mailsmith btw)

I don't understand why a single app would have different features in
different OSes though, especially when they really make a difference.

I think Qualcomm must have got cold feet about the project around the
time they were working on Eudora 7 for the Mac. Shame really, especially
given that it was a Mac app for quite a few years before the Windows
development started.

I tried running the Win version under Crossover, but it fails.

Els

Tim Streater wrote:

[Eudora]
I tried running the Win version under Crossover, but it fails.

I tried to use TextPad under Crossover, but that didn't work properly
either. I just figured it was me, but maybe it's Crossover then..

Jonathan N. Little

Els said:
Tim Streater wrote:

[Eudora]
I tried running the Win version under Crossover, but it fails.

I tried to use TextPad under Crossover, but that didn't work properly
either. I just figured it was me, but maybe it's Crossover then..
Hmm I been able to get all kinds of stuff to run in Wine on Linux. Even
an old CorelDraw bundled version Ray Dream Designer which fails
miserably in XP!

Bergamot

Els said:
Apparently only possible with an extension.

No need for an extension. Add this to your user.js file:
user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);

You may also need to disable format-flowed for reading plain text
messages (maybe not):
user_pref("mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support", true);

You can style the quoting colors in userContent.css, located in the
chrome directory, e.g. for 3rd level quotes:
blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #660 ! important;
color: #660 ! important;
}

Been working for me for many years now.

Els

Bergamot said:
No need for an extension. Add this to your user.js file:
user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);

And "my user.js file" would be where exactly? Have browsed around the
TB folder, but can't find that one. I reckon installing an extension
is easier, as I did see the 'Add-ons' option in the menu.

Bergamot

Els said:
And "my user.js file" would be where exactly?

It's just a plain text file that goes in your profile directory, same
place where prefs.js is. If you don't already have a user.js file, make
one using the editor of your choice. No special headers or anything are
needed, just the above line.
I reckon installing an extension
is easier, as I did see the 'Add-ons' option in the menu.

I find user prefs better, myself, because they aren't dependent on some
3rd party keeping up with new releases. I've had those mail-news rules
in there for eons, even before Thunderbird and Firefox split off from
mozilla, and they are still working beautifully.

Els

Bergamot said:
It's just a plain text file that goes in your profile directory, same
place where prefs.js is. If you don't already have a user.js file, make
one using the editor of your choice. No special headers or anything are
needed, just the above line.

Thanks. I may do that at some point. (Can't do it without first going
into the admin account of XP)
I find user prefs better, myself, because they aren't dependent on some
3rd party keeping up with new releases. I've had those mail-news rules
in there for eons, even before Thunderbird and Firefox split off from
mozilla, and they are still working beautifully.

There's that of course.

Jonathan N. Little

Els said:
Thanks. I may do that at some point. (Can't do it without first going
into the admin account of XP)

That would be in the *current* profile that you are now using, not the
program folder. From "Start > Run..." enter

%APPDATA%\Thunderbird

Your profile will be [random-chars].Default User if no other profiles
created, in the folder you should add user.js

Els

Jonathan said:
Els said:
Thanks. I may do that at some point. (Can't do it without first going
into the admin account of XP)

That would be in the *current* profile that you are now using, not the
program folder. From "Start > Run..." enter

%APPDATA%\Thunderbird

Your profile will be [random-chars].Default User if no other profiles
created, in the folder you should add user.js

Thanks, did that.
Result is funny though: regular > markers *and* coloured bars... <g>

Els

Andrew said:
Els said:
Jonathan said:
That would be in the *current* profile that you are now using, not the
program folder. From "Start > Run..." enter

%APPDATA%\Thunderbird

Your profile will be [random-chars].Default User if no other profiles
created, in the folder you should add user.js

Thanks, did that.
Result is funny though: regular > markers *and* coloured bars... <g>

Untested, but you could try:

In the folder Jonathan describes, there is a folder called "chrome".

No, that one *is* in the programs folder. I can only edit in there
when I'm in my admin account.
In the chrome folder, create a file called "userContent.css".

That file should contain the rule

blockquote {border-left-width: 0 !important;}

I'll try that tomorrow, thanks :)

Blinky the Shark

Andrew said:
Blinky said:
The color bars is an attempt to fix something that was not broken.

I'm guessing it was an attempt at familiarity in order to appeal to
Outlook users - I'm sure I've seen it doing something similar.
For more visual separation between quote levels, many news clients -
including ones I have - allow the user to set a distinctive color
for all of the text in a level. Been that way for years.

Sure - I was using one like that last millennium. But are there any others
which allow full CSS styling? Or at least full enough to include color,
background-color, border, margin and padding that I know of. I haven't
tested what else it supports.

Not that I'm claiming that this is a worthwhile feature or that everyone
should flock[*] to Thunderbird because of it. I just happen to like it.

[*] School, or possibly shiver, in your case.

ThunderBIRD. I'd say it involves flocking. And that is also fitting in
that I don't really like that flocking program.

Jonathan N. Little

Els said:
Andrew said:
Els said:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
That would be in the *current* profile that you are now using, not the
program folder. From "Start > Run..." enter

%APPDATA%\Thunderbird

Your profile will be [random-chars].Default User if no other profiles
created, in the folder you should add user.js
Thanks, did that.
Result is funny though: regular > markers *and* coloured bars... <g>
Untested, but you could try:

In the folder Jonathan describes, there is a folder called "chrome".

No, that one *is* in the programs folder. I can only edit in there
when I'm in my admin account.

No that is is the program defaults, you want the one in *your profile*
to make *user customizations*. There may not be a chrome folder at first

%APPDATA%\Thunderbird\[random-chars].Default User\chrome

create one and create a useContent.css file. There is also
userChrome.css for chrome customizations...

Els

Jonathan said:
No that is is the program defaults, you want the one in *your profile*
to make *user customizations*. There may not be a chrome folder at first

Indeed there isn't.
%APPDATA%\Thunderbird\[random-chars].Default User\chrome

create one and create a useContent.css file. There is also
userChrome.css for chrome customizations...

And by "there is" you mean "there will be after you make it". Should
have guessed ;-)

I still think this is all a lot of work for something that should be
the default in the app. (where "a lot of work" is entirely subjective
and relative of course)

Jonathan N. Little

Els said:
Jonathan said:
No that is is the program defaults, you want the one in *your profile*
to make *user customizations*. There may not be a chrome folder at first

Indeed there isn't.
%APPDATA%\Thunderbird\[random-chars].Default User\chrome

create one and create a useContent.css file. There is also
userChrome.css for chrome customizations...

Just an experiment to see how pastels could possibly assist on these
monster postings...

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite],
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] {
border-width: thin ! important; border-color: #880000 ! important;
background-color: #ffeeee ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote {
border-color: #008800 ! important; background-color: #eeffee ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #000088 ! important; background-color: #eeeeff ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #008888 ! important; background-color: #eeffff ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote {
border-color: #880088 ! important; background-color: #ffeeff ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #880055 ! important; background-color: #ffeedd ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #550088 ! important; background-color: #ddeeff ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #008855 ! important; background-color: #eeffdd ! important;
}

..moz-text-plain blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote,
..moz-text-flowed blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #558800 ! important; background-color: #ddffee ! important;

Jonathan N. Little

Jonathan said:
Just an experiment to see how pastels could possibly assist on these
monster postings...

I like this a little better, less tooty fruity

blockquote[type=cite] {
border-width: thin ! important; border-color: #880000 ! important;
background-color: #fff8f8 ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote {
border-color: #008800 ! important; background-color: #f8fff8 ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #000088 ! important; background-color: #f8f8ff ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #888800 ! important; background-color: #fffff8 ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #008888 ! important; background-color: #f8ffff ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote {
border-color: #880088 ! important; background-color: #fff8ff ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #880055 ! important; background-color: #fff8e8 ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #550088 ! important; background-color: #e8f8ff ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #008855 ! important; background-color: #f8ffe8 ! important;
}

blockquote[type=cite] blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote
blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote blockquote {
border-color: #558800 ! important; background-color: #e8fff8 ! important;