OT: Internet Explorer version 7.x

Discussion in 'HTML' started by SpaceGirl, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. SpaceGirl

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Steve MacLellan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I guess ol' Bill is guaranteed to make at least a few million from the
    > next OS release code named Longhorn. Since the next version of Windows
    > will be the only way to get Internet Explorer version 7, millions of
    > web developers will have to have it just to check their web pages.
    >
    > That doesn't seem right to me.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Steve MacLellan

    Wont happen. IE is hopelessly behind all other browsers right now, and
    Longhorn (Windows 6.0) is at least 2 years away. Imagine how much
    further along other browsers will be by the time MS release another
    version of IE? Bear in mind, the award winning Open Source browser
    FireFox was created in not much more than a year... IE lost 10% of it's
    share in the last 18 months. Imagine how few people will be using it by
    2007! (I pray!)

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 5, 2004

  2. SpaceGirl

    mark | r Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message
    > Steve MacLellan wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I guess ol' Bill is guaranteed to make at least a few million from the
    >> next OS release code named Longhorn. Since the next version of Windows
    >> will be the only way to get Internet Explorer version 7, millions of
    >> web developers will have to have it just to check their web pages.
    >>
    >> That doesn't seem right to me.
    >>
    >> Best Regards,
    >> Steve MacLellan
    >>

    > Wont happen. IE is hopelessly behind all other browsers right now, and
    > Longhorn (Windows 6.0) is at least 2 years away. Imagine how much further
    > along other browsers will be by the time MS release another version of IE?
    > Bear in mind, the award winning Open Source browser FireFox was created in
    > not much more than a year... IE lost 10% of it's share in the last 18
    > months. Imagine how few people will be using it by 2007! (I pray!)

    Hi miranda,

    dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs traffic from
    millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.

    http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php

    i dont know where 10% came from - if its from your own stats then maybe
    youre being hit by loads of mac users :)

    mark
    mark | r, Oct 5, 2004

  3. SpaceGirl

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html mark | r said:

    > dont believe the hype

    exactly

    > according to thecounter.com which logs traffic from millions of sites
    > - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.

    remember to take into account:
    a) the small sample size.
    b) the type of sites thecounter is used on (i.e. clueless newbie).
    c) the type of people who visit those sites (i.e. clueless newbie).
    d) how the "stats" are collected.
    e) use of filtering software.

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s m a k e m e
    brucie, Oct 5, 2004
  4. SpaceGirl

    SpaceGirl Guest

    mark | r wrote:
    > "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Steve MacLellan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I guess ol' Bill is guaranteed to make at least a few million from the
    >>>next OS release code named Longhorn. Since the next version of Windows
    >>>will be the only way to get Internet Explorer version 7, millions of
    >>>web developers will have to have it just to check their web pages.
    >>>
    >>>That doesn't seem right to me.
    >>>
    >>>Best Regards,
    >>>Steve MacLellan
    >>>

    >>Wont happen. IE is hopelessly behind all other browsers right now, and
    >>Longhorn (Windows 6.0) is at least 2 years away. Imagine how much further
    >>along other browsers will be by the time MS release another version of IE?
    >>Bear in mind, the award winning Open Source browser FireFox was created in
    >>not much more than a year... IE lost 10% of it's share in the last 18
    >>months. Imagine how few people will be using it by 2007! (I pray!)

    > Hi miranda,
    >
    > dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs traffic from
    > millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.
    >
    > http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php
    >
    > i dont know where 10% came from - if its from your own stats then maybe
    > youre being hit by loads of mac users :)
    >
    > mark

    Hmm not sure where I read it - but I think it was global (not just
    Firefox). Even theregister.com was reporting the slide a few months ago.
    It was mostly driven by all the virus and security scares earlier in the
    year. My own stats do NOT reflect this though - my busiest server gets
    about 95% IE, and 5% the rest.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 5, 2004
  5. SpaceGirl schreef:
    > Steve MacLellan wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I guess ol' Bill is guaranteed to make at least a few million from the
    >> next OS release code named Longhorn. Since the next version of Windows
    >> will be the only way to get Internet Explorer version 7, millions of
    >> web developers will have to have it just to check their web pages.
    >>
    >> That doesn't seem right to me.
    >>
    >> Best Regards,
    >> Steve MacLellan
    >>

    > Wont happen. IE is hopelessly behind all other browsers right now, and
    > Longhorn (Windows 6.0) is at least 2 years away. Imagine how much
    > further along other browsers will be by the time MS release another
    > version of IE? Bear in mind, the award winning Open Source browser
    > FireFox was created in not much more than a year... IE lost 10% of it's
    > share in the last 18 months. Imagine how few people will be using it by
    > 2007! (I pray!)

    The same amount of people how don't know much about pc's.
    The only thing they know is MSN and OE.

    Or perhaps Billy implement Mozilla as browser and email prog. instead of
    IE and OE in 2007.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 5, 2004
  6. SpaceGirl

    mark | r Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.html mark | r said:
    >> dont believe the hype

    > exactly
    >> according to thecounter.com which logs traffic from millions of sites
    >> - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.

    > remember to take into account:
    > a) the small sample size.
    > b) the type of sites thecounter is used on (i.e. clueless newbie).
    > c) the type of people who visit those sites (i.e. clueless newbie).
    > d) how the "stats" are collected.
    > e) use of filtering software.

    id trust these independent stats over anything proclaimed by a software
    development company

    mark
    mark | r, Oct 5, 2004
  7. SpaceGirl

    mark | r Guest

    "Edwin van der Vaart" <> wrote in message
    > SpaceGirl schreef:
    >> Steve MacLellan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I guess ol' Bill is guaranteed to make at least a few million from the
    >>> next OS release code named Longhorn. Since the next version of Windows
    >>> will be the only way to get Internet Explorer version 7, millions of
    >>> web developers will have to have it just to check their web pages.
    >>>
    >>> That doesn't seem right to me.
    >>>
    >>> Best Regards,
    >>> Steve MacLellan
    >>>

    >> Wont happen. IE is hopelessly behind all other browsers right now, and
    >> Longhorn (Windows 6.0) is at least 2 years away. Imagine how much further
    >> along other browsers will be by the time MS release another version of
    >> IE? Bear in mind, the award winning Open Source browser FireFox was
    >> created in not much more than a year... IE lost 10% of it's share in the
    >> last 18 months. Imagine how few people will be using it by 2007! (I
    >> pray!)

    > The same amount of people how don't know much about pc's.
    > The only thing they know is MSN and OE.
    >
    > Or perhaps Billy implement Mozilla as browser and email prog. instead of
    > IE and OE in 2007.

    I like firefox - its just quirky as hell - for some reason I cant manually
    edit urls in the location box - I have to click at the end of the url and
    use the arrow keys to get to the bit I want to edit - why cant I just place
    the caret within the string - grrr

    there's other stuff but this is the most reoccurring.

    It was published back in April that there would be an incrimental update of
    IE prior to Longhorn - i hope they didnt mean the sp2 update.

    mark
    mark | r, Oct 5, 2004
  8. ark | r schreef:

    [snip]

    > I like firefox - its just quirky as hell - for some reason I cant manually
    > edit urls in the location box - I have to click at the end of the url and
    > use the arrow keys to get to the bit I want to edit - why cant I just place
    > the caret within the string - grrr

    No problems with Firefox 0.9.3 on a Linux/Mandrake 9.2 and Firefox 1.0PR
    on Windows 2000 sp4.

    > there's other stuff but this is the most reoccurring.
    >
    > It was published back in April that there would be an incrimental update of
    > IE prior to Longhorn - i hope they didnt mean the sp2 update.

    What do you think...
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 5, 2004
  9. SpaceGirl

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <41628db0$0$15840$>, mark | r
    <> writes

    >I like firefox - its just quirky as hell - for some reason I cant manually
    >edit urls in the location box - I have to click at the end of the url and
    >use the arrow keys to get to the bit I want to edit - why cant I just place
    >the caret within the string - grrr

    Internet Explorer certainly has some quirks of its own. :)

    When I click on a URL in the location box the whole thing is
    highlighted. I can then click a second time at a particular point in
    the string and edit it from there. The same happens in Internet
    Explorer.

    I think it's a Windows feature. One click highlights whatever is in the
    box, two quick clicks highlights a 'word' and one click, pause, then
    another click places the cursor.
    --
    Martin Jay
    Martin Jay, Oct 5, 2004
  10. Hi,

    I guess ol' Bill is guaranteed to make at least a few million from the
    next OS release code named Longhorn. Since the next version of Windows
    will be the only way to get Internet Explorer version 7, millions of
    web developers will have to have it just to check their web pages.

    That doesn't seem right to me.

    Best Regards,
    Steve MacLellan

    Build a Used Car Website

    How to build, promote and sell advertising on
    a used car website....
    http://carsite-marketing.com
    Steve MacLellan, Oct 5, 2004
  11. SpaceGirl

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "mark | r" <> wrote in message

    > dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs traffic
    > from millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet
    > users.
    >
    > http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php
    >
    > i dont know where 10% came from - if its from your own stats then maybe
    > youre being hit by loads of mac users :)

    Wrong. TheCounter says that 4.3% are from Gecko-based browsers. Some sites
    attract fewer people, but some attract many more: for my site, 36% use
    Gecko-based browsers.
    C A Upsdell, Oct 5, 2004
  12. SpaceGirl

    C A Upsdell Guest

    C A Upsdell, Oct 5, 2004
  13. On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:57:54 +0100, mark | r wrote:

    > Hi miranda,
    >
    > dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs traffic from
    > millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.
    >
    > http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php
    >
    > i dont know where 10% came from - if its from your own stats then maybe
    > youre being hit by loads of mac users :)
    >
    > mark

    Hmm...

    Well, w3schools sets gecko browsers at over 15%:

    The problems with these browser stat pages, of course, are many.

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 5, 2004
  14. "mark | r" <> wrote in message news:<41627e3a$0$15884$>...
    > dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs traffic from
    > millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.
    >
    > http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php

    That site's stats includes an entry for "Netscape 5.x", which doesn't
    actually exist, so it takes guesswork to figure out what it really
    means; my best guess is that it encompasses all user agent strings
    starting with "Mozilla 5/" that aren't otherwise itemized, so it
    probably encompasses some Mozilla-based projects as well as others
    that are "faking it" with similar UA strings.

    > i dont know where 10% came from - if its from your own stats then maybe
    > youre being hit by loads of mac users :)

    Stats can vary wildly based on the sort of audience a site is getting.
    Sites drawing a more technically-clueful crowd tend to have a higher
    Mozilla, Opera, and Konqueror presence.

    --
    Dan
    Daniel R. Tobias, Oct 5, 2004
  15. On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:40:45 +0100, SpaceGirl wrote:

    > version of IE? Bear in mind, the award winning Open Source browser
    > FireFox was created in not much more than a year... IE lost 10% of it's

    Less than a year? I'm not so sure about that. Not that
    Mozilla/Gecko/Firefox hasn't jumped ahead of MSIE as far as quality and
    feature set and everything else, but it has taken a bit more than a year
    to get to the Firefox browser in its current state.

    Netscape's source code was open-sourced in 1998!

    The Firefox project dates back to 2002.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Firefox#Release_history

    (Wikipedia kicks ass, BTW)

    But the Gecko renderer started with the opening of Netscape. The overview
    of the project was written in 1998:
    http://www.mozilla.org/newlayout/overview.html

    I realize that this is all nitpicking, splitting hairs, whatever, but this
    thread is off-topic to begin with, and I'm waiting for Apache and PHP to
    finish compiling.

    later...

    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 5, 2004
  16. SpaceGirl

    mark | r Guest

    "Martin Jay" <> wrote in message
    > In message <41628db0$0$15840$>, mark | r
    > <> writes
    >
    >>I like firefox - its just quirky as hell - for some reason I cant manually
    >>edit urls in the location box - I have to click at the end of the url and
    >>use the arrow keys to get to the bit I want to edit - why cant I just
    >>place
    >>the caret within the string - grrr

    > Internet Explorer certainly has some quirks of its own. :)
    >
    > When I click on a URL in the location box the whole thing is highlighted.
    > I can then click a second time at a particular point in the string and
    > edit it from there. The same happens in Internet Explorer.
    >
    > I think it's a Windows feature. One click highlights whatever is in the
    > box, two quick clicks highlights a 'word' and one click, pause, then
    > another click places the cursor.
    > --
    > Martin Jay

    but at least you dont have to resort to arrowkey movement

    mark
    mark | r, Oct 5, 2004
  17. SpaceGirl

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:02:01 +1000, brucie <> wrote:

    > In alt.html mark | r said:
    > - Geko browsers still represent only 2% of internet users.
    >
    > remember to take into account:
    > a) the small sample size.
    > b) the type of sites thecounter is used on (i.e. clueless newbie).
    > c) the type of people who visit those sites (i.e. clueless newbie).
    > d) how the "stats" are collected.
    > e) use of filtering software.

    Then again, in fairness, the "clueless newbie" is in most cases the target
    market, for obvious reasons.

    Where've ya been, brucie?
    Neal, Oct 5, 2004
  18. While the city slept, Daniel R. Tobias () feverishly typed...

    > "mark | r" <> wrote in message
    >> dont believe the hype - according to thecounter.com which logs
    >> traffic from millions of sites - Geko browsers still represent only
    >> 2% of internet users.
    >>
    >> http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/September/browser.php

    > That site's stats includes an entry for "Netscape 5.x", which doesn't
    > actually exist,

    I remember Netscape 6 coming out at a similar time to IE5 (or 5.5, can't
    remember exactly), and thinking "what happened to version 5?", then thinking
    "Aahh... shrewd business move!" ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    nice.guy.nige, Oct 5, 2004
  19. On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:03:35 +0100, mark | r wrote:

    > I like firefox - its just quirky as hell - for some reason I cant manually
    > edit urls in the location box - I have to click at the end of the url and
    > use the arrow keys to get to the bit I want to edit - why cant I just place
    > the caret within the string - grrr

    You may have already done this, but it is often helpful to search for your
    problem to see if anybody else has had it and has a solution.

    If you don't find anything then I'm sure the Firefox developers would
    appreciate you reporting the bug at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
    They can't fix a problem that nobody knows exists.
    Brendan Taylor, Oct 5, 2004
  20. SpaceGirl

    Toby Inkster Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > [A dominant IE 7] Wont happen. IE is hopelessly behind all other
    > browsers right now, and Longhorn (Windows 6.0) is at least 2 years away.
    > Imagine how much further along other browsers will be by the time MS
    > release another version of IE?

    The more important impact to IE's market share will occur *after* IE 7 has
    been released.

    A whole bunch of sites will get written "for IE 7" that won't work or will
    degrade poorly in IE 6, but will work in standards-compliant browsers.

    Users on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and 2003 will have a choice if
    they want to view those sites: pay to upgrade to Longhorn, or download a
    competing browser for free.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Oct 5, 2004