OT Opera 7.54 Buggy

Barbara de Zoete

Op Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:33:01 +1000, schreef Mark Parnell
When they should be designed to work in all browsers, not just IE. :-(

I agree with this. As a rule of thumb one designs for the www, which
includes all sorts of possible browsers.
One thing though. If I have a layout problem and I cannot get my layout to
look okay in browsers as IE6, FF0.9 and OP7.54 at the same time (mind you:
okay, not being pixel design equal to each other), I tend to choose the
IE6 layout as my best option. For the exact reason Kat posted.

Don't you just love Lynx? It gets all of my pages right whithout any
trouble ;-)

Barbara

Davmagic .Com

From: (e-mail address removed)
(Toby Inkster)
<snip>
Opera gets it right. (So do the others!)

"Right" in the sense of what I want... No... Opera may interpret the
code the way it does, but the other browsers interpret it the way I
intended...
The reason in this case is your <center>
element. The XHTML spec (you are using
XHTML 1.0 Transitional) defers to HTML
for the definition of <center>.
The HTML 4.01 spec says <center> is
exactly equivalent to <div align="center">
(the end of part 15.1.2).
The HTML spec explains (beginning of
15.1.2) how align="center" effects text:
| center: text lines are centered.
However, the HTML spec declines to
mention what should happen to block
elements within an aligned area. So quite
simply any behaviour is correct!

True... by the Spec's definition... which could bring up the argument,
that designing _strictly_ by the Spec _could_ be a bad decision... in
certain situations...
Opera's behaviour is more consistant with
the CSS "text-align:center" than the
others.

Your reply in this thread, seems to be the _most_ benificial.... Thank
You

But I am still concerned about the "others".... who seemingly have
failed to recognize the simple fact that the example page that I gave,
does infact Validate by the W3C for XHTML 1.0 Transitional...

So, where do we go from here? I choose to support browsers that render a
Valid page the way the author intended, instead of browsers that render
it otherwise...

Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
http://www.davmagic.com/
Paint A House
http://www.paintahouse.com/
NOTE: This emailbox is CLOSED do NOT reply!!!

Steve Pugh

"Right" in the sense of what I want... No... Opera may interpret the
code the way it does, but the other browsers interpret it the way I
intended...

Well I'm sure Opera are very sorry that their software cam't read you
mind...
True... by the Spec's definition... which could bring up the argument,
that designing _strictly_ by the Spec _could_ be a bad decision... in
certain situations...

Sure. The spec is ambiguous in places. You chose to use one those
ambiguous parts in your code. So how can you blame the browsers for
rendering it differently? If you wanted it to be one particular way then
you should have used something less ambiguous.
Your reply in this thread, seems to be the _most_ benificial.... Thank
You

But I am still concerned about the "others".... who seemingly have
failed to recognize the simple fact that the example page that I gave,
does infact Validate by the W3C for XHTML 1.0 Transitional...

So what? Just because something passes validation doesn't mean that it
will appear the same way in every browser - HTML is not about that.

So, where do we go from here? I choose to support browsers that render a
Valid page the way the author intended, instead of browsers that render
it otherwise...

Opera renders your page just fine. You don't need to do anything to
support it.

If the minor details of presentation keep you awake at night then change
the code to one of the many other techniques that will center the tables
in Opera.

Steve

Neal

But I am still concerned about the "others".... who seemingly have
failed to recognize the simple fact that the example page that I gave,
does infact Validate by the W3C for XHTML 1.0 Transitional..

Valid page != working page.
So, where do we go from here? I choose to support browsers that render a
Valid page the way the author intended, instead of browsers that render
it otherwise...

Then improve the instructions you give the browser. The reason some
browsers do what you expect and others do not is a fault in your
authoring, not in the browsers.

Look at it this way. A teacher gives a test to the class. Half the kids
pass, the other half fail. A poor teacher says half the kids are dumb or
lazy or both. A good teacher says they didn't do their job well enough. If
they had, MOST kids will pass.

It's that attitude that if it works here, it should work everywhere, that
separates the wannabes from the pros.

Davmagic .Com

From: (e-mail address removed) (Neal)
<snip>
Then improve the instructions you give the
browser. The reason some browsers do
what you expect and others do not is a
fault in your authoring, not in the
browsers.

You seem to imply that browsers are omnipotent.... very wrong
thinking... why do you suppose browsers go thru constant upgrades...
because they have bugs that need fixing... that's why!
Look at it this way. A teacher gives a test
to the class. Half the kids pass, the other
half fail. A poor teacher says half the kids
are dumb or lazy or both. A good teacher
says they didn't do their job well enough.
If they had, MOST kids will pass.

So you're saying the difference is in the "teacher's" quality (poor or
good) which is analogous here to the browser software quality not to the
author's design quality... you lose again... it's a futile argument!

Again if an author writes valid code irregardless of whether or not it
pleases certain individual's tastes, then that author upon comparing
various browser renderings, should decide which browsers are better or
worse... and if a great majority of browsers render the code the same
way, and only one excepts to the rest, then most logical thinking
individuals should find that it is the browser, not the code that needs
refining!

Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
http://www.davmagic.com/
Paint A House
http://www.paintahouse.com/
NOTE: This emailbox is CLOSED do NOT reply!!!

Neal

You seem to imply that browsers are omnipotent... very wrong
thinking... why do you suppose browsers go thru constant upgrades...
because they have bugs that need fixing... that's why!

I never said browsers are omnipotent, that's insane.

What I said - and I'll try to use small words - is that the browser is the
browser. You do not know what browser the user will have. It is not their
job to pick the browser you want them to. It is your job to make a page
that works on their browser.

If you can't do that job, try knitting instead.
So you're saying the difference is in the "teacher's" quality (poor or
good) which is analogous here to the browser software quality not to the
author's design quality... you lose again... it's a futile argument!

Nope. The teacher and the author provide the content. The student's
ability to exhibit a behavior (such as, pass a test) which demonstrates
mastery of the content is analogous to the browser's ability to render the
content.

I do not 'lose'. You are either intentionally trolling or incorrigibly
dense.

If you provide content in a faulty manner, the browsers will fail to
render it. If you provide the content in a thoughtful and sensible manner,
the browsers will render it fine.

What in the above statement do you not get?
Again if an author writes valid code

Valid page != working page.
irregardless

head {action: bang; object: wall;}

I hate that word, sorry.
of whether or not it
pleases certain individual's tastes, then that author upon comparing
various browser renderings, should decide which browsers are better or
worse... and if a great majority of browsers render the code the same
way, and only one excepts to the rest, then most logical thinking
individuals should find that it is the browser, not the code that needs
refining!

Perhaps. You're saying, if I get you correctly, that all browsers ought to
render according to the recommendations. I agree, in an ideal world this
would be true.

1) This is not an ideal world. Some browsers - most notably IE - do not
follow the recommendations very strictly. The author must design around
the flaws.

2) The recommendations do not always define precisely what should happen.
This is often intentional, and sometimes (IMO) sloppiness on the part of
the rec's editors. The various browsers will do different things from time
to time, and be totally compliant with the recommendations. The competent
author will account for this.

3) I remember a Saturday Night Live routine when Ed Asner was the guest
host. They did a skit where he was retiring as the manager of a nuclear
facility. His parting words were:

"You can't put too much water in a nuclear reactor."

The joke was some people thought that meant you should never add more
water than it can handle, it's better to err on the less-water side.
Others thought it meant that there's no way you could add so much water
that it would be a problem. As they argued, the plant melted down.

The fault is not with the people, they were given ambiguous instructions.
The fault is with the person who gave the instructions.

If you use HTML which can be ambiguously understood, you are going to have
to expect a large variation in rendering. If you stick to markup that is
less ambiguous, your renderings on various browsers will not differ
problematicaly.

Be a man and take responsibility for the way your page renders. It's a
very small person who blames the machine for the problem when countless
others can avoid the problem with good practice.

Davmagic .Com

From: (e-mail address removed) (Neal)
<snip crap>

It's all bull....
Be a man and take responsibility for the
way your page renders. It's a very small
person who blames the machine for the
problem when countless others can avoid
the problem with good practice.

It's all bull.... crap! Wait till Opera upgrades again, and if they show
any common sense, you'll see the page renders exactly like it does in
all the rest of the browsers... just wait... I have watched their
previous levels and they keep getting better, but are still not near
what Mozilla, or Firefox are at! Or even IE!

It's all C R A P that you speel....

Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
http://www.davmagic.com/
Paint A House
http://www.paintahouse.com/
NOTE: This emailbox is CLOSED do NOT reply!!!

Neal

It's all C R A P that you speel....

Difference between you and I - I'm agreeing where you make sense. You're
saying everything I'm saying is crap.

If everything I know about the subject is crap, why aren't others calling
me on it? Believe me, if I get something wrong others do not hesitate to
correct me.

The fact that your voice alone expresses that you fail to see sensibility
in what I say suggests to me that the problem here may be in your
inability to understand how the WWW really works.

If Opera improves their conformity to the recommendations, I'm glad. But I
don't want to see them go against the recommendations in order to match
other equally or more broken browsers.

And you totally didn't acknowledge the point I'm making. Regardless if
Opera is a piece of crap or the best browser out there, if you want to
ignore it and design things just for IE and Mozilla, then you're NOT
designing for the WWW. The WWW is viewed through many agents, and to
ignore a browser like Opera (used by a noticable percentage of users,
great conformity to the recommendations) by doing things an old, busted
way that doesn't work on that browser is to show great ignorance toward
what designing for the WWW really is.

If we were talking about NN4 screwing the page up, ok, that's one thing.
We're not, though. This is a major browser, and you write it off as if
it's not used by anyone worth reaching. If you're not accomodating the few
abnormalities in Opera, you're sure not a WWW author.

Michael Winter

Before I continue, it seems a very bad idea to name files, PAGES<n>.html,
where n is some arbitrary number. Surely learn.html and glossary.html are
better names than PAGES22.html and PAGES48.html, respectively.
It's all bull....

Such intransigence says something quite important.

[snip]
Wait till Opera upgrades again, and if they show any common sense,
you'll see the page renders exactly like it does in all the rest of the
browsers...

And why is it in their interest to do that? As you've already been told,
according to the Recommendation, there is nothing incorrect with regard to
Opera's behaviour.
I have watched their previous levels and they keep getting better, but
are still not near [...] even IE!

You're fucking kidding me, right?

Rather than bitch that an excellent browser doesn't quite fit your
misguided ideas of "conformance", why don't you write with Strict HTML,
thereby skipping this entire debate. The Transitional DTD is, as suggested
by its name, an intermediate phase. Clearly its intent was to allow legacy
documents to use presentational HTML and keep them valid, whilst new
documents forge ahead with CSS.

[snip]

Mike

C A Upsdell

Davmagic .Com said:
Again if an author writes valid code irregardless of whether or not it
pleases certain individual's tastes, then that author upon comparing
various browser renderings, should decide which browsers are better or
worse... and if a great majority of browsers render the code the same
way, and only one excepts to the rest, then most logical thinking
individuals should find that it is the browser, not the code that needs
refining!

I hope your code is not as muddy as your English. (Hmm, just checked your
site, and your code IS just as muddy!)

If I understand you correctly, you are asserting that, if most browsers
render code a certain way, then there are bugs in the browsers that don't.
If you truly believe this, then be prepared for future shock: the future
will have many surprises for you.

Toby Inkster

Davmagic said:
"Right" in the sense of what I want... No... Opera may interpret the
code the way it does, but the other browsers interpret it the way I
intended...

Do what I want, don't do what I tell you to do?

Dylan Parry

As an authority on the subject, Lemming proclaimed:
What the heck *is* that thing?

Isn't it one of those magic things that girls use to make our shirts smell
of flowers?