PAR, PAR::Packer

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by smueller@cpan.org, Dec 1, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi comp.lang.perl.misc,

    since people regularly ask about "compiling" Perl or, if they're a
    little more educated about dynamic languages, about packaging Perl, I'm
    quickly dropping by to announce that PAR will soon be split up into two
    distributions.

    The reason for this is that PAR has various use cases: One of those is
    packaging applications and that feature requires a C build environment
    to set up. Another use case is just using a .par file as a library to
    load modules from. You wouldn't need a C compiler for that.

    So, soon, there will be the PAR distribution itself and a separate
    PAR-Packer distribution which contains the venerable "pp" utility for
    packaging Perl applications. If questions about packaging Perl apps
    arise, please don't just mention PAR but also PAR-Packer (or
    PAR::packer).

    In fact, once I make a release, you will be able to install the pp
    utility and thus PAR::packer from the CPAN shell as

    install pp

    or, of course,

    install PAR::packer

    Cheers,
    Steffen
    , Dec 1, 2006

  2. John Bokma Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi comp.lang.perl.misc,
    >
    > since people regularly ask about "compiling" Perl or, if they're a
    > little more educated about dynamic languages

    Does being a dynamic language stop a language from being compiled? The
    only thing I can see is that for some cases the compiler needs to be
    included to do run time compilation :-D.

    John Bokma, Dec 1, 2006