passing session variables frm ASP to JSP

Jason Us

Does anyone have experience with passing variables from an ASP page to
a JSP page.

The way it currently works in passing the SSN in the URL. This cannot
be good.

I thought that storing a unique session ID in a cookie and referencing
the SSN from the Session ID would be the correct way to do this. But
since we have two separate servers, IIS and Websphere, how do we
coordinate the session ID?

Perhaps I could write the session ID to a database table in the ASP
page, then requery it with the JSP page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Bob Barrows

Jason said:
Does anyone have experience with passing variables from an ASP page to
a JSP page.

The way it currently works in passing the SSN in the URL. This cannot
be good.

I thought that storing a unique session ID in a cookie and referencing
the SSN from the Session ID would be the correct way to do this. But
since we have two separate servers, IIS and Websphere, how do we
coordinate the session ID?

Perhaps I could write the session ID to a database table in the ASP
page, then requery it with the JSP page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

You will need to use a database for this.

Bob Barrows

Dave Anderson

Jason Us said:
Does anyone have experience with passing variables from an
ASP page to a JSP page.

I'm not even aware of a way to pass variables from one ASP page to another
ASP page.

You can certainly pass information in Forms, QueryStrings and Cookies from
browsers to ASP scripts, and can pass a Response from a script to a browser.
In neither case is a variable passed from one script to another. Even
Server.Execute() does not allow the passing of variables (though Request and
Session objects are shared).

There is always the possibility of using a proxy for the browser to allow
two scripts to interact. For example, one script can use the ServerXMLHTTP
object to send a Request and receive a Response from another script. That
interaction is still limited to the same restrictions as a browser-server
one, however.

What about session variables? There is still no script-to-script
interaction. IIS generates a unique session ID and passes it to the browser
as a transient cookie. Every time a Request arrives with an ASP session
cookie, IIS looks to see if there is a matching active session, and if so,
exposes the corresponding session variables to the script.

As Bob suggested, you can use a DB as a temporary store that is available to
both web servers, but unavailable to the public. It is a good idea to
generate unique IDs to identify these "sessions", and if you are using SQL
Server, you can just generate a GUID with NEWID(). Send the GUID back to the
browser in a cookie, then redirect him to the other server.

This is, of course, a simplification. But you get the idea.

--
Dave Anderson