passing session variables frm ASP to JSP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jason Us, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. Jason Us

    Jason Us Guest

    Does anyone have experience with passing variables from an ASP page to
    a JSP page.

    The way it currently works in passing the SSN in the URL. This cannot
    be good.

    I thought that storing a unique session ID in a cookie and referencing
    the SSN from the Session ID would be the correct way to do this. But
    since we have two separate servers, IIS and Websphere, how do we
    coordinate the session ID?

    Perhaps I could write the session ID to a database table in the ASP
    page, then requery it with the JSP page.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Jason

    Jason Us, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Jason Us

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Jason Us wrote:
    > Does anyone have experience with passing variables from an ASP page to
    > a JSP page.
    >
    > The way it currently works in passing the SSN in the URL. This cannot
    > be good.
    >
    > I thought that storing a unique session ID in a cookie and referencing
    > the SSN from the Session ID would be the correct way to do this. But
    > since we have two separate servers, IIS and Websphere, how do we
    > coordinate the session ID?
    >
    > Perhaps I could write the session ID to a database table in the ASP
    > page, then requery it with the JSP page.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Jason

    You will need to use a database for this.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Jason Us

    jason us Guest

    As I thought.

    Thanks much,

    Jason

    jason us, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Jason Us

    jason us Guest

    As I thought.

    Thanks Bob.

    jason

    jason us, Dec 31, 2003
  5. "Jason Us" wrote:

    > Does anyone have experience with passing variables from an
    > ASP page to a JSP page.

    I'm not even aware of a way to pass variables from one ASP page to another
    ASP page.

    You can certainly pass information in Forms, QueryStrings and Cookies from
    browsers to ASP scripts, and can pass a Response from a script to a browser.
    In neither case is a variable passed from one script to another. Even
    Server.Execute() does not allow the passing of variables (though Request and
    Session objects are shared).

    There is always the possibility of using a proxy for the browser to allow
    two scripts to interact. For example, one script can use the ServerXMLHTTP
    object to send a Request and receive a Response from another script. That
    interaction is still limited to the same restrictions as a browser-server
    one, however.

    What about session variables? There is still no script-to-script
    interaction. IIS generates a unique session ID and passes it to the browser
    as a transient cookie. Every time a Request arrives with an ASP session
    cookie, IIS looks to see if there is a matching active session, and if so,
    exposes the corresponding session variables to the script.

    As Bob suggested, you can use a DB as a temporary store that is available to
    both web servers, but unavailable to the public. It is a good idea to
    generate unique IDs to identify these "sessions", and if you are using SQL
    Server, you can just generate a GUID with NEWID(). Send the GUID back to the
    browser in a cookie, then redirect him to the other server.

    This is, of course, a simplification. But you get the idea.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Dec 31, 2003