Pattern recommendation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Derek Fountain, Oct 4, 2009.

  1. I have a basic website requirement which I'm looking to implement using
    a suitable pattern. The website can be seen as a set of 'wizards' - the
    user chooses the wizard they want, then are presented with sequence of
    fairly straightforward web pages each of which fetches a small amount of
    information from the backing data model. They click next, next, next,
    occasionally offering additional input via a radio button selection or
    some such. The final page will have an 'exit' button or link.

    So, all rather straightforward, but I need to do a lot of these
    'wizards'. Many dozens, probably, with each one having between 3 and 30
    steps. I therefore want to keep this as efficient as possible. Speed of
    the website execution is irrelevant; what matters is the speed of
    development and ease of testing. I need to be able to add pages to the
    wizards quickly and easily. The less code I have to write the better.

    Just looking through the pattern pages on MSDN, they seem to concern
    themselves with supporting full featured web applications. I don't
    really need that, and MVC seems overkill for my requirements.

    Can anyone such any patterns that might point me the right direction?

    --
    Aches and pains at your desk? Try a little exercise:
    http://www.daily-exercise.com/

    Derek Fountain, Oct 4, 2009

  2. Derek Fountain

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Derek Fountain" <> wrote in message
    >I have a basic website requirement which I'm looking to implement using a
    >suitable pattern. The website can be seen as a set of 'wizards' - the user
    >chooses the wizard they want, then are presented with sequence of fairly
    >straightforward web pages each of which fetches a small amount of
    >information from the backing data model. They click next, next, next,
    >occasionally offering additional input via a radio button selection or some
    >such. The final page will have an 'exit' button or link.
    >
    > So, all rather straightforward, but I need to do a lot of these 'wizards'.
    > Many dozens, probably, with each one having between 3 and 30 steps. I
    > therefore want to keep this as efficient as possible. Speed of the website
    > execution is irrelevant; what matters is the speed of development and ease
    > of testing. I need to be able to add pages to the wizards quickly and
    > easily. The less code I have to write the better.
    >
    > Just looking through the pattern pages on MSDN, they seem to concern
    > themselves with supporting full featured web applications. I don't really
    > need that, and MVC seems overkill for my requirements.
    >
    > Can anyone such any patterns that might point me the right direction?

    I did the wizard thing using MVP and with a session object between the UI
    and presenter and passing the session object between pages. I like MVP as
    it's light and flexible. You can even use a MVP pattern for a Web client non
    UI with a presenter for a Web service as an example, since an interface is
    being used.

    The key here I like is to keep the UI as dumb as possible and let the
    presenter control the UI and make the decisions.

    What is Model -View- Presenter?

    MVP is a software pattern considered a derivative of the
    Model-view-controller.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_View_Presenter

    MODEL-VIEW-PRESENTER

    http://www.polymorphicpodcast.com/

    click 'Shows' and located at page 6

    click 'Design Patterns Bootcamp: Model View * Patterns*

    view parts 1-5

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4479 (20091004) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Mr. Arnold, Oct 4, 2009

  3. Derek Fountain

    Patrice Guest

    You could also check the Wizard control :
    http://www.15seconds.com/Issue/060706.htm
    (though 30 seems quite a lot)

    --
    Patrice