PDF API for password encryption?

AlainS

Selling an e-book in pdf-format, I want to secure the pdf with a
password encryption. In Adobe you can do that by hand through "Secure-
Password Encrypt", but I want to do this automatically by writing a
perl-script. I discovered a PDF::API2 module, but I can't discover if
that module also offers a password encrypt-functionality.

Is there anybody having experience with this module or having an
alternative for PDF::API2 that can do the job?

Thanks a lot!

Alain

Finster

Selling an e-book inpdf-format, I want to secure thepdfwith a
password encryption. In Adobe you can do that by hand through "Secure-
PasswordEncrypt", but I want to do this automatically by writing aperl-script. I discovered aPDF::API2 module, but I can't discover if
that module also offers a passwordencrypt-functionality.

Is there anybody having experience with this module or having an
alternative forPDF::API2 that can do the job?

Thanks a lot!

Alain

There is CAM::pDF, unfortunately this module has the mind-numbing
security hole that the owner password and user password must be
identical in order to correctly output an encrypted PDF. So, someone
with the user password could completely remove the encryption just by

If there is a secure implementation that allows the the passwords to
be different, I'd sure like to know about it.

Michele Dondi

There is CAM::pDF, unfortunately this module has the mind-numbing
security hole that the owner password and user password must be
identical in order to correctly output an encrypted PDF. So, someone
with the user password could completely remove the encryption just by

If there is a secure implementation that allows the the passwords to
be different, I'd sure like to know about it.

You may try the pdfcrypt utility,
<http://www.sanface.com/pdfcrypt.html>, which claims to be written in
"PERL" (this is not a good sign) and although it is not free software,
I suppose it is not prohibited to look at its source. It simply says:
"You can't modify directly it."

Michele