performance evaluation

luca

Hallo, I am developing a JSP tag-library. I would like to have a framework
to measure how performance varies as I take different implementation
decisions (such as syncronized vs unsyncronhized HashMaps and the like).

My problem is that I have no idea where to start.

Can anyone point me in the right direction wrt
reading and software to actually set up such a framework?

Also, over time, I heard people mention that the way Java manages Strings
can be the source of bottlenecks in the system. Any reading I can do
about that specific problem?

thank you

Luca

Christophe Vanfleteren

luca said:
Hallo, I am developing a JSP tag-library. I would like to have a framework
to measure how performance varies as I take different implementation
decisions (such as syncronized vs unsyncronhized HashMaps and the like).

My problem is that I have no idea where to start.

Can anyone point me in the right direction wrt
reading and software to actually set up such a framework?

Jmeter might help:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/index.html

luca

Christophe said:
I googled for the magic keywords "Java String performance". You could have
too.

498,000 hits. I was hoping that someone here could be more specific :)

luca

Christophe Vanfleteren

luca said:
498,000 hits. I was hoping that someone here could be more specific :)

luca

It is a generally expected that a search engine returns the most relevant
pages first. So I suggest you look at some of them.

Learning how to use a search engine will get you further than having to ask
a newsgroup everytime. Especially on wide known/debated issues like the
performance of String concatenation in Java.