Perl - Absolute min. environment required.

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Prabh, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Prabh

    Prabh Guest

    Hi,
    What is the absolute minimum required environment to execute a Perl
    program?

    I want to execute a .pl on a PC which doesnt have Perl installed.
    I was thinking of copying the Perl .exes on to a network drive and
    invoke the intepreter from there.
    Something along the lines,

    <%> <path-to-network-drive>\perl.exe C:\foo.pl

    Could anyone, please tell me what all do I need to copy to the
    network?
    If the Perl install changes the registry, how do I ensure they still
    work on User PC?

    If this is not possible, is there any Perl-LITE that can be installed
    locally?

    Thanks,
    Prabh

    Prabh, Sep 5, 2003

  2. On 5 Sep 2003 11:29:05 -0700
    (Prabh) wrote:
    > Hi,
    > What is the absolute minimum required environment to execute a Perl
    > program?

    This is covered several places on the 'Net:
    http://www.perl.com/
    http://www.activestate.com/
    http://perldoc.com/

    > I want to execute a .pl on a PC which doesnt have Perl installed.
    > I was thinking of copying the Perl .exes on to a network drive and
    > invoke the intepreter from there.
    > Something along the lines,
    >
    > <%> <path-to-network-drive>\perl.exe C:\foo.pl

    Do _NOT_ just copy files. If you are a long time Windows user, you
    should know better.

    > Could anyone, please tell me what all do I need to copy to the
    > network?

    Go to the places listed above that offer documentation.

    > If the Perl install changes the registry, how do I ensure they still
    > work on User PC?

    Which is why you _don't_ just copy files on a Windows platform :)

    > If this is not possible, is there any Perl-LITE that can be
    > installed locally?

    Yes - go to the places where the documentation is located to find out
    how to install Perl.

    > Thanks,
    > Prabh

    I will thank you _after_ you do some more research :)

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    All I can think of is a platter of organic PRUNE CRISPS being
    trampled by an army of swarthy, Italian LOUNGE SINGERS ...

    James Willmore, Sep 6, 2003

  3. Prabh

    Peter Cooper Guest

    "James Willmore" <> wrote in message:
    > If you are a long time Windows user, you should know better.

    I'd argue that if you /are/ a long time Windows user, you clearly don't know
    better ;-)

    Pete

    Peter Cooper, Sep 6, 2003