Perl lib version (v5.6.0) doesn't match executable version (v5.8.0)

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Francesco Moi, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. Hello.

    On a Linux PC, I'm trying to install libwww-perl, but I get this error
    message when 'make':

    -------------
    Perl lib version (v5.6.0) doesn't match executable version (v5.8.0) at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux/Config.pm line 21.
    Compilation failed in require at
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 10.
    ----------------

    If get my Perl version (perl -v):
    This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i386-linux

    Some hours ago, I tried to installed a module by using CPAN, and
    it suggested me to install the new Perl version (5.8.0), but it
    failed, and I supposed it wasn't installed.

    I would be extremely obliged if anybody could tell me how to solve
    this
    problem.

    Thank you very much.
    Francesco Moi, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Francesco Moi

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Francesco Moi" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > On a Linux PC, I'm trying to install libwww-perl, but I get this error
    > message when 'make':
    >
    > -------------
    > Perl lib version (v5.6.0) doesn't match executable version (v5.8.0) at
    > /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux/Config.pm line 21.
    > Compilation failed in require at
    > /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 10.
    > ----------------

    Config.pm says you've got version 5.6.0 installed, but the perl executable
    is version 5.8.0.

    > If get my Perl version (perl -v):
    > This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i386-linux

    'perl -v' derives its output from info contained in Config.pm.
    To find out what version the perl executable really is, run:
    perl -e 'print $];'

    If that produces '5.6.0', then I don't know what's going on. If it produces
    '5.8.0', then that's what I would expect, but I still don't know what's
    going on :)

    Bottom line is that you've somehow achieved a mismatched installation, and
    things won't function properly until you get it fixed.

    I recommend that you re-install your perl unless you can establish that the
    problem can be fixed by some trivial means.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Jul 27, 2003