    Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
    RWTH - Aachen University
    D 52056 Aachen, Germany
    Helmut Jarausch, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Helmut Jarausch

    Max Khesin Guest

    Answer: I think they are working on somethig that will allow perl lib usage
    in python.
    Question: Can someone in the know drop a line?

    Max Khesin, software developer -

    [check out our image compression software at www.cvisiontech.com, JBIG2-PDF
    compression @
    www.cvisiontech.com/cvistapdf.html]

    Max Khesin, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Helmut Jarausch

    Mike Rovner Guest

    "Helmut Jarausch" <> wrote in message news:3f182c9a$0$276

    > having been a Perl fan for years I have nearly converted to Python.

    I went the same way, happy with python now and never looked back.

    > Still, there are LOTS and very good modules written in Perl.
    > Is there a tool to lesson the burdon of translation of Perl to Python?

    IMHO language differences leads to different style and I found that
    rewriting is better than semi-automatic translation.

    I had a project first implemented in perl, than rewrote in python.
    Some idioms are completely different, for ex. code blocks in perl are
    natural, classes are not.
    OTOH classes are natural in python and no unnamed code blocks exists.
    The list may be continued on and on.

    Just .02

    Mike
    Mike Rovner, Jul 18, 2003
  4. Helmut Jarausch schrieb:

    > Is there a tool to lesson the burdon of translation of Perl to Python?

    You may try bridgekeeper (http://www.crazy-compilers.com/bridgekeeper/).
    But typically it' better to completly rewrite the code since Python
    offers different features.

    Regards
    Hartmut Goebel
    --
    | Hartmut Goebel | IT-Security -- effizient |
    | | www.goebel-consult.de |
    Hartmut Goebel, Jul 23, 2003