Persisting DataSet through DataGrid

Daz

I want to make changes to a dataset that is bound to a datagrid.
Rather than store the dataset in session between page calls I've found
that I can cast the DataSource of the grid back to a DataSet and pass
this to the Update on the DataAdapter...

I've got this working OK with paging so it seems to fit what I want.
Is there any problem with doing this as I've seen many people talking
about how to persist datasets using session but this seems to give me
persistence for "free" through viewstate on the grid. I know that
there is overhead of passing the data back and forth from the client
but I'm doing this anyway as I'm displaying the data in the grid each
time.

Is my thinking correct?

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

It's not entirely scalable which is why a dataset is recommended. It works
for you so use it.