    want to have a form for seeing the photos at a different size, and that
    would be meaningless to a blind person. What would be the most
    accessible way to put the form?
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Leif K-Brooks

    m Guest

    Leif K-Brooks may have written:

    > I'm adding a photo album to my website. The photos have decent
    > descriptions, so that isn't an accessibility problem. The thing is, I
    > want to have a form for seeing the photos at a different size, and that
    > would be meaningless to a blind person. What would be the most
    > accessible way to put the form?

    Usually forms are not used -- you make the image a link, or
    put a normal text link near the image. The alt information
    gives the accessibility, so it should be filled
    out meaningfully.
    http://www.mbstevens.com/howtothumb/index.html
    --
    Cheers, m
    m, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Leif K-Brooks

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:7xlEb.1207$>
    Leif K-Brooks said:

    > I'm adding a photo album to my website. The photos have decent
    > descriptions, so that isn't an accessibility problem. The thing is, I
    > want to have a form for seeing the photos at a different size,

    whats wrong with links to the different sizes?

    --
    brucie
    19/December/2003 06:43:33 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 18, 2003
  4. brucie wrote:
    >>I'm adding a photo album to my website. The photos have decent
    >>descriptions, so that isn't an accessibility problem. The thing is, I
    >>want to have a form for seeing the photos at a different size,

    > whats wrong with links to the different sizes?

    I have a script resizing the image, and I would like the user to be able
    to choose any size.
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Leif K-Brooks

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:VQpEb.1225$>
    Leif K-Brooks said:

    >> whats wrong with links to the different sizes?

    > I have a script resizing the image,

    i'd like to see that, all the resizing scripts i've seen do a very poor
    job.

    > and I would like the user to be able to choose any size.

    i don't understand what this has to do with accessibility.

    --
    brucie
    19/December/2003 08:46:59 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 18, 2003
  6. Leif K-Brooks

    Cameron Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > in post <news:VQpEb.1225$>
    > Leif K-Brooks said:
    >

    >>>whats wrong with links to the different sizes?

    >>I have a script resizing the image,

    > i'd like to see that, all the resizing scripts i've seen do a very poor
    > job.

    I have seen a couple using the GD Lib I think, they seem to do it fairly
    well.

    >>and I would like the user to be able to choose any size.

    > i don't understand what this has to do with accessibility.

    Small image = less bandwidth yet people with poor eyesight may have
    trouble seeing it

    Big image = LOTS of bandwidth and would be pointless for all people,
    like poor dialup users (me) ;)

    ~Cameron
    Cameron, Dec 18, 2003
  7. Leif K-Brooks

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:brtbsj$b5s$>
    Cameron said:

    >>>and I would like the user to be able to choose any size.

    >> i don't understand what this has to do with accessibility.

    > Small image = less bandwidth yet people with poor eyesight may have
    > trouble seeing it
    >
    > Big image = LOTS of bandwidth and would be pointless for all people,
    > like poor dialup users (me) ;)

    the initial image would just need to be a balance between the two. a
    reasonable quality image of about 600x400 is only about 30k (depending
    on what the image is). as well as the image size allow the quality level
    to be adjusted. simple.

    --
    brucie
    19/December/2003 09:07:38 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 18, 2003
  8. brucie wrote:
    >>and I would like the user to be able to choose any size.

    > i don't understand what this has to do with accessibility.

    A blind person would be able to hear the description, but a size
    selection form would be meaningles to them.
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 18, 2003
  9. Leif K-Brooks

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:AWqEb.886$7%>
    Leif K-Brooks said:

    >> i don't understand what this has to do with accessibility.

    > A blind person would be able to hear the description, but a size
    > selection form would be meaningles to them.

    no it wouldn't. they just wouldn't bother using the form and there is
    nothing stopping them sending the pic to a sighted person and would want
    to select a size. disabled does not necessarily mean stupid.

    --
    brucie
    19/December/2003 09:44:13 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 18, 2003
  10. brucie wrote:
    > no it wouldn't. they just wouldn't bother using the form and there is
    > nothing stopping them sending the pic to a sighted person and would want
    > to select a size. disabled does not necessarily mean stupid.

    I'm not sure about that. Wouldn't you be a bit confused by, say, a
    volume control when you aren't hearing any audio?
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 19, 2003
  11. Leif K-Brooks

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:08:54 GMT, Leif K-Brooks declared in alt.html:
    > brucie wrote:
    >> no it wouldn't. they just wouldn't bother using the form and there is
    >> nothing stopping them sending the pic to a sighted person and would want
    >> to select a size. disabled does not necessarily mean stupid.

    > I'm not sure about that.

    What, that disabled doesn't mean stupid? :p

    > Wouldn't you be a bit confused by, say, a
    > volume control when you aren't hearing any audio?

    Not if my speakers were turned off (or I didn't have any). It would only be
    confusing if I thought I should be hearing audio and wasn't. Or I was
    hearing it but the volume control didn't have any effect. I doubt blind
    people think they should be seeing the pictures. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Dec 19, 2003
  12. Leif K-Brooks

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:qkrEb.888$7%>
    Leif K-Brooks said:

    >> no it wouldn't. they just wouldn't bother using the form and there is
    >> nothing stopping them sending the pic to a sighted person and would want
    >> to select a size. disabled does not necessarily mean stupid.

    > I'm not sure about that. Wouldn't you be a bit confused by, say, a
    > volume control when you aren't hearing any audio?

    no! from asking or past experience if the volume control is over half
    way or past number "3" they know they'll get a smack in the head because
    its too loud.

    from asking or past experience when sending an image to someone perhaps
    for them to describe it they would know sally doesn't like images over
    200x200px or over 200kb.

    you're assuming a blind person is stupid. stop it.

    --
    brucie
    19/December/2003 10:19:19 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 19, 2003
  13. Hi Leif,
    Go have a talk to the guy who runs www.pbase.com (Gallery site) Their
    software does dynamic resizing which remembers the users last used setting
    as they browse the photos. When an image is displayed there is a short list
    of size options displayed below it which you can click to change the size
    of the image and the browing mode.

    cio
    Derek.

    Derek Clarkson, Dec 19, 2003
  14. Leif K-Brooks

    m Guest

    Leif K-Brooks may have written:

    > I have a script resizing the image, and I would like the user to be able
    > to choose any size.

    Scripts are good for lots of things,
    but image resizing on the fly is too
    time consuming. The set of images
    you're going to use should be done
    in advance.

    If you had been preprocessing the images with
    a script, well, OK --
    if the images are not required to be of
    a very high quality.

    There is no replacement for personal attention
    if the images need to be very good.

    A lot of visual aspects
    of an image change when it is resized.
    No script can replace
    your eye.
    --
    Cheers, m http://www.mbstevens.com/howtothumb/
    m, Dec 19, 2003
  15. Derek Clarkson wrote:
    > Go have a talk to the guy who runs www.pbase.com (Gallery site) Their
    > software does dynamic resizing which remembers the users last used setting
    > as they browse the photos. When an image is displayed there is a short list
    > of size options displayed below it which you can click to change the size
    > of the image and the browing mode.

    Did you actually read my message? I said that I was wondering about some
    accessibility issues with _my_ photo script, which I've already written
    most of. What makes you think I need a photo host?
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 19, 2003
  16. m wrote:
    > Scripts are good for lots of things,
    > but image resizing on the fly is too
    > time consuming. The set of images
    > you're going to use should be done
    > in advance.

    The script caches resized photos when resizing them the first time, so
    there shouldn't be too much of a performance hit.

    > A lot of visual aspects
    > of an image change when it is resized.
    > No script can replace
    > your eye.

    True, but they have looked pretty good so far.
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 19, 2003
  17. Leif K-Brooks

    Richard Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > I'm adding a photo album to my website. The photos have decent
    > descriptions, so that isn't an accessibility problem. The thing is, I
    > want to have a form for seeing the photos at a different size, and that
    > would be meaningless to a blind person. What would be the most
    > accessible way to put the form?

    Why on earth do you need instructions for a blind person to "see" the
    images?
    <bangs head against wall>
    Do you not understand what "blind" means, grasshopper?
    Richard, Dec 19, 2003
  18. Actually I did,
    Seeing as what you described didn't make much sense I justed elected to
    think that you knew what you where doing. I suggested pbase because it
    sounded like you where not sure about how to implement a form for multiple
    dynamic sizing of photo. Pbase does this so I thought they might be able to
    give you some pointers. As with other people posting here, I cannot see why
    you are so concerned about supporting people on brail terminals browsing a
    graphics document. All they would need is a brief piece of text saying
    something like "Picture of x here". Issues of resolution are a waste of
    time.

    Perhaps you should redefine you request in clearer terms with a bit more
    detail.

    cio
    Derek.

    Derek Clarkson, Dec 19, 2003
  19. Leif K-Brooks

    SteW Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    >
    > > I'm adding a photo album to my website. The photos have decent
    > > descriptions, so that isn't an accessibility problem. The thing is, I
    > > want to have a form for seeing the photos at a different size, and that
    > > would be meaningless to a blind person. What would be the most
    > > accessible way to put the form?

    > Why on earth do you need instructions for a blind person to "see" the
    > images?
    > <bangs head against wall>
    > Do you not understand what "blind" means, grasshopper?

    Many blind people have some ability to see - some may only distinguish
    light and dark, some can read if the text is sufficiently large, people
    with 'tunnel vision' may be registered blind but can see well within a
    limited angle.

    Ste W
    SteW, Dec 19, 2003