PHP guy turned ASP needs pointers

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Lee Marsh, Jun 17, 2005.

  1. Lee Marsh

    Lee Marsh Guest

    I am used to programming with PHP, but recently my employer has requested
    that I make some webapps for him in ASP.NET since that's what they run on
    their intranet server, and that's all they're willing to run. Soooo...as a
    result, I am learning ASP.NET now. I'm used to using many of my PHP tricks
    and was hoping that many of them have ASP counterparts. A few main things
    stick out in my mind:

    1. Can you do code include's. Like in php you can use the include command
    and then specify a script file and it will include all the code in the
    included script file.

    2. The explode function. Anyone that has PHP knows what I'm talking about.
    Anythign like that in asp?

    3. Any of the image functions. In php it's really easy to manipulate and
    create jpeg photos. Does asp have similar capabilities?

    TIA for any advice!

    --
    <=============>
    --Lee

    Goodbye, adios, bis bald, see ya later, wiedersehen, and everything in
    between
    Lee Marsh, Jun 17, 2005

  2. Lee Marsh

    Patrice Guest

    1. You could (#include directive) but in ASP.NET it' likely considered as
    legacy and it's preferred to use classes, user controls or web controls.
    Depends the exact need of runs include files...
    2. Not sure, looks like System.String.Split
    3. Use System.Drawing.Windows Graphics is available from ASP.NET application

    Patrice

    Patrice, Jun 17, 2005

  3. Hi Lee,

    Don't forget to check this out:

    PHP to ASP.NET Migration Whitepapers

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/migration/phpmig/whitepapers/default.aspx

    Phalanger the PHP Language Compiler for .NET Framework

    http://www.php-compiler.net/

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jun 18, 2005