Playing MP3 server side

TimB

Hi,

Does anyone know a way to play an MP3 on the server? My server is
connected to the stereo, and I'd like to have a web page that I can
connect to with my iPaq as a remote control.

Obviously, ASP isn't going to let me start a process that'll last 3-4
minutes per track without getting very annoyed. So far, I have a few
possibles:

1. Find a command-line MP3 player that I can get to run as a service,
and ideally which I can poll for feedback on it's status. No idea if
this'll work, or if such a player exists.

2. Have ASP call a batch file, which launches the file then quits.
Should work in theory....I think.

3. Learn ActiveX and see if there's a way to do it in that. Will
probably work, but sounds like a lot of work.

4. Use Linux. Will definitely work, but will also involve getting
another box, since this server's doing enough work that I'd rather
keep it on Windows. Last resort unless Linux will talk to the sound
card via VMware and keep the quality. (I know, OT for this group, just
throwing it in as a possible).

5. Find a ready-made solution which one of the geniuses (geniii?) in
this group has already done, and be forever grateful to said genius
:)

Any ideas?