post windowsupdate VS.net problems

Maurice Walmsley

hi

after installing all (yes, official) patches to my windows2003 server
OS, Visual Studio seems broken.

symptoms;
1. there is no longer a build menu, and ctrl+shift+b does not compile
my files.
2. outlining does not work anymore (expanding and collapsing of
codeblocks).

also

I get a http 404 error when trying to access these files.

I tried reinstalling and regging (regsvr32
c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll) .net
again, but with no luck.

I'm damn sure I noticed these errors after the first reboot post
patches. Any clues?

IIS permissions look normal. I can view html files in same location.
It's asp.net that seems broken, but I've got no idea why the vs.net
problems have happened!

tar

Steve C. Orr, MCSD

See the earlier thread titled "Windows Update Break ASP.NET 1.0 on WinXP
Pro"

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Yup, it is bad. Here's what an MS person posted:

If you are running ASP.NET 1.0 on Windows XP Professional and you install
the latest critical updates from Windows Update (specifically the 822925
cumulative IE patch), ASP.NET will no longer function.

Symptom:
"Server Application Unavailable" when browsing to ASP.NET applications.

We are currently researching this issue and I will post information here as
soon as it is available. In the interim, you can set the userName
attribute in your machine.config's <processModel> element to "SYSTEM" and
then restart IIS. Note that running the ASP.NET process under the SYSTEM
account grants it a high privilege level.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET

--
Microsoft MVPs have a question for *you*: Are you patched against the Worm?
http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp