preload audio

Andrew Poulos

I'm dynamically building a standards compliant HTML 4 Strict page
depending on how the selections a user makes. If the user chooses audio
(a non-streaming format) a custom button appears to allow the user to
start/stop the audio.

The OBJECT tag that I'm using does not cause the audio to be preloaded
in MZ. The HTML newsgroup could not suggest a way forward so I'm
wondering if there's a way to use javascript to preload the audio -
without having to add any non standard tags (like the EMBED tag).

Andrew Poulos

Erwin Moller

Andrew said:
I'm dynamically building a standards compliant HTML 4 Strict page
depending on how the selections a user makes. If the user chooses audio
(a non-streaming format) a custom button appears to allow the user to
start/stop the audio.

The OBJECT tag that I'm using does not cause the audio to be preloaded
in MZ. The HTML newsgroup could not suggest a way forward so I'm
wondering if there's a way to use javascript to preload the audio -
without having to add any non standard tags (like the EMBED tag).

Andrew Poulos

Not sure, just an idea:
Can you embed the wanted audiofiles (using OBJECT) with a volume of 0?
Only for caching purposes.

Then use another (real) OBJECT-tag to really play the sound.

Worth a shot I think, but maybe you tried already. :p

Regards,
Erwin Moller