    formatting in Word makes me more confident of success using html and css.
    TIA
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Jun 12, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian wrote:

    > How do I define the width of the table, and limit the content, so that it
    > will print as she wants within the printer page?

    With the "width" property.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 12, 2005

  3. "KiwiBrian" <> wrote:

    > I want to make an html page for a friend who wants it to print at a
    > specific width on her printer.

    Create the page so that it adapts to the available width, whatever it
    is.

    > It does not need to be put online, or print on any other PC setup.

    It's still simplest to design it as if you were designing it for the
    Web. Abandon this idea only when it has been _proven_ impossible or
    suboptimal. Don't assume anything you don't need to assume.

    > It will use a table to contain the content which is predominantly
    > tabular.

    Fine. Write a table without any attempt at controlling the appearance,
    check (in Print Preview) how it looks like on printing, and ask your
    friend to do the same. _Then_ you may observe something you would like
    to affect. You cannot know, at this point, and still less can we.

    > How do I define the width of the table, and limit the
    > content, so that it will print as she wants within the printer
    > page?

    You don't.

    Of course you want to make the best possible use of the entire
    available width. Browsers generally do this better than you, except in
    special circumstances. Note that the width depends on the printer _and_
    its settings, especially margin settings, which may vary. This is yet
    another reason _not_ to set widths.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 13, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > "KiwiBrian" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I want to make an html page for a friend who wants it to print at a
    >> specific width on her printer.

    > Create the page so that it adapts to the available width, whatever it
    > is.
    >
    >> It does not need to be put online, or print on any other PC setup.

    > It's still simplest to design it as if you were designing it for the
    > Web. Abandon this idea only when it has been _proven_ impossible or
    > suboptimal. Don't assume anything you don't need to assume.
    >
    >> It will use a table to contain the content which is predominantly
    >> tabular.

    > Fine. Write a table without any attempt at controlling the appearance,
    > check (in Print Preview) how it looks like on printing, and ask your
    > friend to do the same. _Then_ you may observe something you would like
    > to affect. You cannot know, at this point, and still less can we.
    >
    >> How do I define the width of the table, and limit the
    >> content, so that it will print as she wants within the printer
    >> page?

    > You don't.
    >
    > Of course you want to make the best possible use of the entire
    > available width. Browsers generally do this better than you, except in
    > special circumstances. Note that the width depends on the printer _and_
    > its settings, especially margin settings, which may vary. This is yet
    > another reason _not_ to set widths.

    Thanks Jukka.
    Subsequent to writing my query I found that there was an option in my
    computer's print preview settings to make the page fit the paper, and
    thought this might be a universal option in all/most printer driver options,
    but my friend says that she does not have such an option.
    Hence it seems to me that the only way that I can make it fit the paper in
    her printer is to modify/specify the width of the table in the HTML/CSS.
    Presumably empirically.
    I know how to do this, but can't help feeling that I am missing something
    somewhere.
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Jun 13, 2005