Privileges using windows API

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Adry, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. Adry

    Adry Guest

    Hi,

    I've a component (DLL COM) that retrieves Fonts system's folder by calling
    SHGetSpecialFolderLocation / SHGetPathFromIDList windows API.

    Using this component from VB 6.0 it's all OK.
    Using this component from ASP, it is not able to retrieve Fonts system's
    folder (returns an empty string).
    If I assign to the ASP application "administrator" rights (in IIS), the
    component returns the Fonts system's folder OK (c:\windows\fonts).

    I don't understand mechanisms on which privileges are based.

    Can someone help me ?

    Thanks

    Adriano

    Adry, Mar 3, 2006

  2. > If I assign to the ASP application "administrator" rights (in IIS), the
    > component returns the Fonts system's folder OK (c:\windows\fonts).

    I'm not sure what you mean by this. How can an application be given
    administrator rights?

    > I don't understand mechanisms on which privileges are based.
    >
    > Can someone help me ?

    The security token under which ASP code runs will in most cases be
    IUSR_<machinename> which is usually a Guest level account. Hence it has
    very little access to things such as the windows root folder.

    Anthony.

    Anthony Jones, Mar 3, 2006

  3. Adry

    Adry Guest

    "Anthony Jones" <> ha scritto nel messaggio

    >> If I assign to the ASP application "administrator" rights (in IIS), the
    >> component returns the Fonts system's folder OK (c:\windows\fonts).
    >>

    > I'm not sure what you mean by this. How can an application be given
    > administrator rights?

    I assign administrator rights to the ASP application by IIS:
    - properties on the virtual directory (my application)
    - select "Directory Security" tab
    - click "Edit" button on "Anonymous access and authentication control" frame
    - click "Edit" button on "Anonymous access"
    - enter the username and password for "administrator" user

    >> I don't understand mechanisms on which privileges are based.
    >>
    >> Can someone help me ?
    >>

    > The security token under which ASP code runs will in most cases be
    > IUSR_<machinename> which is usually a Guest level account. Hence it has
    > very little access to things such as the windows root folder.

    OK, but i have to call Shell32 windows API (SHGetSpecialFolderLocation /
    SHGetPathFromIDList), not "to write" on windows folder

    Thanks for any help

    Adriano

    Adry, Mar 3, 2006