Privileges using windows API

Adry

Hi,

I've a component (DLL COM) that retrieves Fonts system's folder by calling
SHGetSpecialFolderLocation / SHGetPathFromIDList windows API.

Using this component from VB 6.0 it's all OK.
Using this component from ASP, it is not able to retrieve Fonts system's
folder (returns an empty string).
If I assign to the ASP application "administrator" rights (in IIS), the
component returns the Fonts system's folder OK (c:\windows\fonts).

I don't understand mechanisms on which privileges are based.

Can someone help me ?

Thanks

Adriano

Anthony Jones

If I assign to the ASP application "administrator" rights (in IIS), the
component returns the Fonts system's folder OK (c:\windows\fonts).

I'm not sure what you mean by this. How can an application be given
administrator rights?

I don't understand mechanisms on which privileges are based.

Can someone help me ?

The security token under which ASP code runs will in most cases be
IUSR_<machinename> which is usually a Guest level account. Hence it has
very little access to things such as the windows root folder.

Anthony.

Adry

Anthony Jones said:
I'm not sure what you mean by this. How can an application be given
administrator rights?

I assign administrator rights to the ASP application by IIS:
- properties on the virtual directory (my application)
- select "Directory Security" tab
- click "Edit" button on "Anonymous access and authentication control" frame
- click "Edit" button on "Anonymous access"
- enter the username and password for "administrator" user
The security token under which ASP code runs will in most cases be
IUSR_<machinename> which is usually a Guest level account. Hence it has
very little access to things such as the windows root folder.

OK, but i have to call Shell32 windows API (SHGetSpecialFolderLocation /
SHGetPathFromIDList), not "to write" on windows folder

Thanks for any help

Adriano