Problem calling COM object

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by smoser16, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. smoser16

    smoser16 Guest

    Hi all,

    I have developed a web project in ASP.NET that uses a legacy COM object
    (developed in VB6) by creating a wrapper using TlbImp.exe. Everything works
    fine on the Web server on Windows 2000, but I've been trying to move to
    Windows 2003 and everytime a call is made to the COM object the following
    exception occurs:

    Security Exception
    by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission
    please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust
    level in the configuration file.

    Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Permission denied

    Source Error:

    I have tried too many possible solutions to list here, but nothing seems to
    work. I've seen a few other posts with the same problem but no one has
    posted a solution that works for me. Please help!

    Thanks,
    Stefan
    smoser16, Oct 20, 2005

  2. smoser16

    Venkat_KL Guest

    Dear smoser16,

    Try
    setting sufficient privileges for 'Local System Account' on the 'Identity'
    tab on the Properties dialog for the application pool (found in IIS Manager)

    because
    The problem can originate becuase of the security permissions on the
    'Network Service' account - which is the default identity for an Application
    Pool.

    To avoid the error change the identity under which the Application Pool is
    created to one that has sufficient privileges - like above

    Bye
    Venkat_KL
    Venkat_KL, Oct 21, 2005