    someone's familiar with this issue or is aware of a workaround.

    Thanks in advance,
    Jacob.

    Jacob JKW, Jan 24, 2008

  2. Jacob JKW

    Jacob JKW Guest

    On Jan 24, 4:23 am, Jacob JKW <> wrote:
    > I'm using Parallel::ForkManager to periodically run a number of tasks
    > in parallel. It seems to work about 90% of the time. What I'm finding
    > the remaining 10% of the time, however, is that the while the forked
    > off process disappears from the windows process list, it never seems
    > to register as completed with the waitpid ()within Perl nor does it
    > decrement the parent process's thread count in the process list.

    I described this poorly.

    I should have mentioned that each forked child runs a system command
    from which the standard out is being captured. These are the PIDs I'm
    seeing on the process list and that are then (correctly)
    disappearing. It's the child processes that call them that aren't
    terminating (about 10% of the time).

    It would appear that if the children don't capture any stdout the
    problem I goes away -- the system commands terminate as do the child
    processes that called them.

    Whatever caused this problem it seems to have something to do with
    multiple children all reading from the STDOUT of opened pipes. I can
    only assume that this is a known issue with the Windows implementation
    of fork.

    Jacob JKW, Jan 24, 2008