problem with tk, no tcltklib

Daniel Schüle

Hello all,

I previously used Tk with Python, now I wanted to write some simple Tk
program in Ruby
I am not 100% familiar with the build process of Ruby sources on my
Linux box, on configure you usually see what header/tools has been found
in the system and the Makefile is generated
I can imagine that this search process affects what Ruby libraries gets
build in the process later. Thus I installed tcl with configure
--prefix=/some-hidden-directory and tk sources with
configure --prefix=/usr/local/bin
make
make install
So the tk libraries should be included in the INC/LIB search path
when Ruby's configure is running(?)
Then I got Ruby 1.8.3 sources and configured-make-ed them.

rb(main):004:0* require "tk"
LoadError: No such file to load -- tcltklib
from /pool/installed/ruby//lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:7:in `require'
from /pool/installed/ruby//lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:7
from (irb):4:in `require'
from (irb):4
irb(main):005:0>

this is the error message
I tried to find "tcltklib" without success
find /pool/installed -iname "tcltklib"
find /usr/local/ -iname "tcltklib"
find /usr/lib/ -iname "tcltklib"
nothing ..

I notieced the double // in the path

irb(main):024:0> $:.map! {|path| path.sub("//", "/")}

irb(main):029:0* require 'tk'
=> false

still nothing, I am running out of ideas :)
where is the chain broken, thankfull for all suggestions

Regards ,Daniel

Hidetoshi NAGAI

From: Daniel Sch=FCle <[email protected]>
Subject: problem with tk, no tcltklib
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 02:17:30 +0900

Probably, 'configure' failed to find Tcl/Tk headers and libraries.
Please read ext/tcltklib/README.1st on your ruby-1.8.3 source tree, =

and give options to tell the paths of Tcl/Tk headers and libraries. =

# Or fail to pthread check.
-- =

Hidetoshi NAGAI ([email protected])

ara.t.howard

From: Daniel Schüle <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 02:17:30 +0900

Probably, 'configure' failed to find Tcl/Tk headers and libraries.
Please read ext/tcltklib/README.1st on your ruby-1.8.3 source tree,
and give options to tell the paths of Tcl/Tk headers and libraries.

# Or fail to pthread check.

hidetoshi-

you've got to be the most vigilant package maintainer out there. thank you.

-a