Problem with XMLHTTP component

Julian Roberts

This has been driving me mad for a few days now. I've got a page called
test.asp that contains some simple code:

<%
if Request.Form("find")<> "" then
url=cstr(Request.Form("find"))
Set objXML = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")
' Call the remote machine the request
objXML.open "POST", url, False
objXML.SetRequestHeader "Content-Type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
objXML.send()
Response.write objXML.responsetext
end if
%>

and I've uploaded it to 2 servers:

http://www.barrowhillsschool.co.uk/test.asp
http://www.charon.co.uk/test.asp

If one clicks the submit button one each page, the content from my homepage
is correctly shown. Now, here comes the problem. Type this URL into the
textbox on both pages and click submit.

http://www.barrowhillsschool.co.uk/index.asp

It works OK on my server, but gives an error on the other:

msxml3.dll error '80072efd' A connection with the server could not be
established

So, it seems that the specific issue is that on the Barrowhills server, when
using a Barrowhills URL the XML component throws an error. Anyone got any
ideas on this? Smells like a firewall issue to me.

Manohar Kamath [MVP]

See if you can ping the address on your server. I think it is most likely a
firewall/routine issue on the server.