Problems deleting from the GAC

MATTK

I have a number of different versions of the same assembly in the GAC
that I cannot seem to remove. I got them in there by using:

gacutil /i emailAuth.dll.

I have tried to following methods to remove them:

1. gacutil /u emailAuth
2. gacutil /uf emailAuth - both generate the following message:

Assembly: emailAuth, Version=1.0.1392.30905, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=8a5
cef3d65da2af8, Custom=null
Assembly could not be uninstalled because it is required by Windows
Installer
Unable to uninstall: assembly is required by one or more applications
Pending references: SCHEME: <WINDOWS_INSTALLER> ID: <MSI>
DESCRIPTION : <Windows Installer>

3. Opening Windows/assembly, right clicking and selecting delete. This
generates the following error message:

Assembly 'emailAuth' could not be uninstalled because it is required
by other applications.

4. I have tried seaching the following registry keys, but no reference
of my assembly can be found:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Assemblies
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Assemblies
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Assemblies

Anyone else got any ideas, or had problems similar to this?

Alvin Bruney

The gac is an ordinary directory. Drink some decaf and head in there with
explorer and delete them manually. I'm not really recommending this
approach, I'm saying it is an avenue. It doesn't do anything to leave them
in there by the way. Why don't you just forget about it rather than risk
introducing subtle problems later on.