    ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
    parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '

    Anyone know what's going wrong?
    subimage, Jul 18, 2006

  2. subimage

    Guest

    subimage wrote:
    > I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
    > rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:
    >
    > -> sudo gem install rubyzip
    > Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
    > Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
    > Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
    > ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
    > parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '
    >
    > Anyone know what's going wrong?

    col 31 is at the end of that line. What's that blank space there?

    BTW. Is rubyzip a pure Ruby lib or does it use a backend of some sort?

    T.
    , Jul 18, 2006

  3. On Jul 18, 2006, at 8:00 AM, subimage wrote:

    > I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
    > rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:
    >
    > -> sudo gem install rubyzip
    > Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
    > Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
    > Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
    > ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
    > parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '
    >
    > Anyone know what's going wrong?

    Maybe you ran into this problem: http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/
    Tech/Ruby/DeleteYourCache.red

    -- Daniel
    Daniel Harple, Jul 18, 2006
  4. subimage

    subimage Guest

    Thanks I tried that, but it's still giving me the same damn error.

    subimage, Jul 18, 2006
  5. subimage

    Dan Bernier Guest

    subimage, any luck with this? I'm getting the same thing, on a WinXP
    box. I tried clearing the cache, too, and still no luck...

    Dan Bernier, Jul 26, 2006
  6. subimage

    stu Guest

    subimage wrote:
    > I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
    > rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:
    >
    > -> sudo gem install rubyzip
    > Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
    > Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
    > Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
    > ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
    > parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '
    >
    > Anyone know what's going wrong?

    i ran into this with ruby 1.8.2 but 1.8.4 worked fine installing it!
    (tested with rubygems 8.whatever-last-versio and 9.0) under 1.8.2.
    as soon as i put 1.8.4 on, the gem installed no problems.

    -stu
    stu, Jul 26, 2006
  7. subimage

    subimage Guest

    I never did get it working, and I'm kind of locked into 1.8.2 as I'm
    using it on all my Debian production servers :/

    Anyone know a good way to upgrade to 1.8.4 when installed from apt-get?

    subimage, Jul 27, 2006
  8. On 7/26/06, subimage <> wrote:
    > I never did get it working, and I'm kind of locked into 1.8.2 as I'm
    > using it on all my Debian production servers :/
    >
    > Anyone know a good way to upgrade to 1.8.4 when installed from apt-get?

    Well, you might just install 1.8.4 into someplace like
    /opt/ruby-1.8.4, and then use the equivs package to convince apt that
    you indeed do have Ruby installed and don't need the default Ruby
    available via apt-get.

    Or you might just 'apt-get remove' everything Ruby on your system and
    then manually install Ruby from source. Add RubyGems, and then 'gem
    install' the rest of the stuff you need. Although this is a manual
    process, it's pretty quick, so may be an option for you if you don't
    have too many servers to worry about.

    ---John
    John Gabriele, Jul 27, 2006
  9. stu wrote:

    > i ran into this with ruby 1.8.2 but 1.8.4 worked fine installing it!
    > (tested with rubygems 8.whatever-last-versio and 9.0) under 1.8.2.
    > as soon as i put 1.8.4 on, the gem installed no problems.
    >
    > -stu

    Odd. I just tried installing the gem myself (I'm the author) on an older
    1.8.2 system and got the same error. I have no clue what the problem is,
    but now I've rebuild the gem on the 1.8.2 system and uploaded it to
    sourceforge.

    Sorry about the inconvenience

    Thomas
    Thomas Sondergaard, Jul 29, 2006
  10. Thomas Sondergaard wrote:
    > ... and uploaded it to sourceforge.

    and rubyforge so you should be able to get it with gem install rubyzip.

    Cheers,

    Thomas
    Thomas Sondergaard, Jul 29, 2006