Problems installing rubyzip gem on Debian...can someone help?

subimage

I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:

-> sudo gem install rubyzip
Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '

Anyone know what's going wrong?

transfire

subimage said:
I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:

-> sudo gem install rubyzip
Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '

Anyone know what's going wrong?

col 31 is at the end of that line. What's that blank space there?

BTW. Is rubyzip a pure Ruby lib or does it use a backend of some sort?

T.

Daniel Harple

I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:

-> sudo gem install rubyzip
Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '

Anyone know what's going wrong?

Maybe you ran into this problem: http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/
Tech/Ruby/DeleteYourCache.red

-- Daniel

Dan Bernier

subimage, any luck with this? I'm getting the same thing, on a WinXP
box. I tried clearing the cache, too, and still no luck...

stu

subimage said:
I haven't had issues with it before, but now I am...I go to install
rubyzip via gems and I'm getting this on a fresh Debian box:

-> sudo gem install rubyzip
Attempting local installation of 'rubyzip'
Local gem file not found: rubyzip*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rubyzip'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
parse error on line 0, col 31: `!ruby/object:Gem::Specification '

Anyone know what's going wrong?

i ran into this with ruby 1.8.2 but 1.8.4 worked fine installing it!
(tested with rubygems 8.whatever-last-versio and 9.0) under 1.8.2.
as soon as i put 1.8.4 on, the gem installed no problems.

-stu

subimage

I never did get it working, and I'm kind of locked into 1.8.2 as I'm
using it on all my Debian production servers :/

Anyone know a good way to upgrade to 1.8.4 when installed from apt-get?

John Gabriele

I never did get it working, and I'm kind of locked into 1.8.2 as I'm
using it on all my Debian production servers :/

Anyone know a good way to upgrade to 1.8.4 when installed from apt-get?

Well, you might just install 1.8.4 into someplace like
/opt/ruby-1.8.4, and then use the equivs package to convince apt that
you indeed do have Ruby installed and don't need the default Ruby
available via apt-get.

Or you might just 'apt-get remove' everything Ruby on your system and
then manually install Ruby from source. Add RubyGems, and then 'gem
install' the rest of the stuff you need. Although this is a manual
process, it's pretty quick, so may be an option for you if you don't
have too many servers to worry about.

---John

Thomas Sondergaard

stu said:
i ran into this with ruby 1.8.2 but 1.8.4 worked fine installing it!
(tested with rubygems 8.whatever-last-versio and 9.0) under 1.8.2.
as soon as i put 1.8.4 on, the gem installed no problems.

-stu

Odd. I just tried installing the gem myself (I'm the author) on an older
1.8.2 system and got the same error. I have no clue what the problem is,
but now I've rebuild the gem on the 1.8.2 system and uploaded it to
sourceforge.

Sorry about the inconvenience

Thomas