Problems sending web services request from WAS 6 to WAS 5.1

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrey, Jan 31, 2007.

  1. Andrey

    Andrey Guest

    Hello,

    We are having trouble sending webservices requests from our client
    application to an existing server over SSL. We recently upgraded our
    WAS to 6.0.x, but the webservice provider's server is still running
    5.1.x. Ever since we upgraded, we haven't been able to invoke the
    webservice.

    Initially, we got this SOAP response from the server:

    <soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/
    envelope/" xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
    xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://
    www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <soapenv:Header/>
    <soapenv:Body>
    <soapenv:Fault>
    <faultcode>soapenv:Server.generalException</faultcode>
    <faultstring><![CDATA[WSWS3713E: Connection to the remote host
    host.host.com failed.Received the following error: Handshake
    terminated SSL engine: CLOSED]]>
    </faultstring>
    </soapenv:Fault>
    </soapenv:Body>
    </soapenv:Envelope>

    We opened a ticket with IBM, and they told us that secure webservices
    calls don't work between WAS 6 and WAS 5.1. However, from reading
    documentation, I understand that this only applies if you use WS-I
    protocol. We don't use that, we simply use the SOAPConnection API, and
    send it over SSL. So from my understanding, this should work even
    between 6.0 and 5.1, after all SSL is a standard, it should work
    between any two app servers. Has anybody experienced a similar
    problem?

    We decided to also try a different approach to get around this
    problem. We changed the code to send the SOAP message over a simple
    HTTP Post to the webservice endpoint (using Apache HttpClient). This
    works for unsecured endpoints (HTTP) but does not work for HTTPS
    endpoints. When we tried this on an HTTPS endpoint, we got this
    exception:

    javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
    java.security.cert.CertificateException: Certificate not Trusted
    at com.ibm.jsse2.bx.a(bx.java:53)
    at com.ibm.jsse2.by.a(by.java:346)
    at com.ibm.jsse2.by.a(by.java:412)
    at com.ibm.jsse2.w.a(w.java:80)
    at com.ibm.jsse2.w.a(w.java(Compiled Code))
    at com.ibm.jsse2.v.a(v.java(Compiled Code))
    at com.ibm.jsse2.by.a(by.java(Compiled Code))
    at com.ibm.jsse2.by.l(by.java(Inlined Compiled Code))
    at com.ibm.jsse2.by.a(by.java(Compiled Code))
    at com.ibm.jsse2.f.write(f.java(Compiled Code))
    at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:
    86)
    at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(BufferedOutputStream.java:144)
    at
    org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.StringRequestEntity.writeRequest(StringRequestEntity.java:
    150)
    at
    org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.EntityEnclosingMethod.writeRequestBody(EntityEnclosingMethod.java:
    495)
    at
    org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.writeRequest(HttpMethodBase.java:
    1973)
    at
    org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpMethodBase.java:
    993)
    at
    org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(HttpMethodDirector.java:
    397)
    at
    org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMethodDirector.java:
    170)
    at
    org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:
    396)
    at
    org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:
    324)
    at
    com.usps.fast.web.security.AbstractBaseExternalAuthenticationDAO.callSoapEndpoint(AbstractBaseExternalAuthenticationDAO.java:
    369)
    at
    com.usps.fast.web.security.AbstractBaseExternalAuthenticationDAO.sendSOAPCall(AbstractBaseExternalAuthenticationDAO.java:
    278)
    ... 39 more
    Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateException: Certificate not
    Trusted
    at com.ibm.jsse.bi.a(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.jsse.bi.checkServerTrusted(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.jsse2.ba.checkServerTrusted(ba.java:8)
    at com.ibm.jsse2.w.a(w.java:2)

    It sounds like the certificate is not installed correctly, but our
    middleware people assure us that it is. Could it be anything else? Is
    there some new configuration in WAS 6 that needs to be fixed?

    Thanks for any suggestions!

    Andrey, Jan 31, 2007