problems starting up Jakarta-Tomcat

Discussion in 'Java' started by John Shepard, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. John Shepard

    John Shepard Guest

    I am trying to get Tomcat running and am having problems. I have
    installed both Java and Tomcat, and I have set up the environmental
    vars. When I run java programs, I have no dificulties, but when I run
    Tomcat's startup.sh I get an erro mesage indicating that JAVA_HOME is
    not defined correctly. Does anyone have a theory?

    Thanks in advance
    John Shepard

    Software
    Red Hat Linux 9.0
    java enterprise edition 1.4 beta 2
    Tomcat 1.4.27

    Lines in /etc/profile
    export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/sun/j2eesdk1.4_beta2
    export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27
    export
    PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/jdk/bin:$PATH:$HOME/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
    export
    CLASSPATH=./:$JAVA_HOME:$JAVA_HOME/lib/:$CATALINA_HOME/bin/:$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/

    Error message
    The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
    This environment variable is needed to run this program
    John Shepard, Sep 29, 2003

  2. John Shepard

    Jeff Guest

    Are you sure j2eesdk1.4_beta2 is a full Java SDK or is it
    just the j2ee bits. Make sure the bin directory has 'java'
    and 'javac' executables. The tomcat startup script messages
    are vague here, what it really should say is that your JAVA_HOME
    is not pointing to a proper JDK.
    --
    Jeff
    jlar310 at yahoo

    Jeff, Sep 29, 2003

  3. John Shepard wrote:

    > I am trying to get Tomcat running and am having problems. I have
    > installed both Java and Tomcat, and I have set up the environmental
    > vars. When I run java programs, I have no dificulties, but when I run
    > Tomcat's startup.sh I get an erro mesage indicating that JAVA_HOME is
    > not defined correctly. Does anyone have a theory?
    >
    > Error message
    > The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
    > This environment variable is needed to run this program

    IIRC, Tomcat usually displays some error information above that message.

    Can you post that if there is?

    --
    Lee Fesperman, FirstSQL, Inc. (http://www.firstsql.com)
    * The Ultimate DBMS is here!
    Lee Fesperman, Sep 29, 2003
  4. John Shepard

    John Shepard Guest

    John Shepard wrote:

    Problem solved. I added "/jdk" to the JAVA_HOME var, due to the fact
    that I am using j2ee.

    John Shepard, Sep 29, 2003