problems starting up Jakarta-Tomcat

John Shepard

I am trying to get Tomcat running and am having problems. I have
installed both Java and Tomcat, and I have set up the environmental
vars. When I run java programs, I have no dificulties, but when I run
Tomcat's startup.sh I get an erro mesage indicating that JAVA_HOME is
not defined correctly. Does anyone have a theory?

Thanks in advance
John Shepard

Software
Red Hat Linux 9.0
java enterprise edition 1.4 beta 2
Tomcat 1.4.27

Lines in /etc/profile
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/sun/j2eesdk1.4_beta2
export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27
export
PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/jdk/bin:$PATH:$HOME/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
export
CLASSPATH=./:$JAVA_HOME:$JAVA_HOME/lib/:$CATALINA_HOME/bin/:$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/

Error message
The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program

Jeff

Are you sure j2eesdk1.4_beta2 is a full Java SDK or is it
just the j2ee bits. Make sure the bin directory has 'java'
and 'javac' executables. The tomcat startup script messages
are vague here, what it really should say is that your JAVA_HOME
is not pointing to a proper JDK.

Lee Fesperman

John said:
I am trying to get Tomcat running and am having problems. I have
installed both Java and Tomcat, and I have set up the environmental
vars. When I run java programs, I have no dificulties, but when I run
Tomcat's startup.sh I get an erro mesage indicating that JAVA_HOME is
not defined correctly. Does anyone have a theory?

Error message
The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program

IIRC, Tomcat usually displays some error information above that message.

Can you post that if there is?

John Shepard

John Shepard wrote:

Problem solved. I added "/jdk" to the JAVA_HOME var, due to the fact
that I am using j2ee.