Trouble starting TOMCAT

Discussion in 'Java' started by Prabh, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Prabh

    Prabh Guest

    Hello all,
    I've just downloaded TOMCAT 4.1.29 on WIN XP and trying to start it
    up.
    From the bin folder of TOMCAT, I tried running the .bat file,
    "startup".
    Nothing much seemed to happen. I ran "shutdown" .bat and it fails
    complaining:

    C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29-src\catalina\src\bin>shutdown
    Using CATALINA_BASE:
    C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29-src\catalina\src
    Using CATALINA_HOME:
    C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29-src\catalina\src
    Using CATALINA_TMPDIR:
    C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29-src\catalina\src\temp
    Using JAVA_HOME: C:\JBuilder7\jdk1.3.1
    org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap

    I made sure to add "CATALINA_HOME" to my CLASSPATH.
    The CATALINA_HOME, JAVA_HOME is all set, but it isnt able to find the
    BootStrap. Within C:\tomcat, I tried to search for "BootStrap.jar",
    "BootStrap.class"...nope, I cant find any.

    I do find a BootStrap.java, does that mean I've to compile the .java
    src code in the standard distribution?

    2) Also, a lot of posts on comp.lang.java.* groups talk about
    tomcat.bat and tomcat.sh, I'm not able to find these shell scripts.
    Arent they distributed with the newer versions of Tomcat?

    Thanks for your time,
    Prab

    Prabh, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Prabh

    Wendy S Guest

    "Prabh" <> wrote in message
    > I've just downloaded TOMCAT 4.1.29 on WIN XP and trying to start it
    > up.

    How did you install it? The Windows Installer, or just unzipping the
    _binary_ distribution? It looks like you downloaded the source, probably
    not what you want.

    Try this page to find the link and download it again:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi

    Just download the jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29.zip file, unzip it wherever you
    prefer (in a path with NO SPACES preferably). Then put yourself in the
    'bin' directory and try the startup.bat file again. (I start with:
    'catalina.bat jpda start' for debugging.)

    --
    Wendy in Chandler, AZ

    Wendy S, Feb 11, 2004

  3. "Prabh" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    > I've just downloaded TOMCAT 4.1.29 on WIN XP and trying to start it
    > up.
    > From the bin folder of TOMCAT, I tried running the .bat file,
    > "startup".
    > Nothing much seemed to happen. I ran "shutdown" .bat and it fails
    > complaining:

    Not sure if of any help. When I installed Tomcat on Windows 2000 it created
    all the shortcuts for me ... did this not happen for you? Did you download
    the .exe and run it?

    The start icon runs
    "C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\bin\java.exe -jar -Duser.dir="C:\tomcat"
    "C:\tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar" start"

    Cheers
    Shane

    Shane Mingins, Feb 11, 2004