Trouble starting TOMCAT

Prabh

Hello all,
I've just downloaded TOMCAT 4.1.29 on WIN XP and trying to start it
up.
From the bin folder of TOMCAT, I tried running the .bat file,
"startup".
Nothing much seemed to happen. I ran "shutdown" .bat and it fails
complaining:

C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29-src\catalina\src\bin>shutdown
Using CATALINA_BASE:
C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29-src\catalina\src
Using CATALINA_HOME:
C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29-src\catalina\src
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR:
C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29-src\catalina\src\temp
Using JAVA_HOME: C:\JBuilder7\jdk1.3.1
org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap

I made sure to add "CATALINA_HOME" to my CLASSPATH.
The CATALINA_HOME, JAVA_HOME is all set, but it isnt able to find the
BootStrap. Within C:\tomcat, I tried to search for "BootStrap.jar",
"BootStrap.class"...nope, I cant find any.

I do find a BootStrap.java, does that mean I've to compile the .java
src code in the standard distribution?

2) Also, a lot of posts on comp.lang.java.* groups talk about
tomcat.bat and tomcat.sh, I'm not able to find these shell scripts.
Arent they distributed with the newer versions of Tomcat?

Thanks for your time,
Prab

Wendy S

Prabh said:
I've just downloaded TOMCAT 4.1.29 on WIN XP and trying to start it
up.

How did you install it? The Windows Installer, or just unzipping the
_binary_ distribution? It looks like you downloaded the source, probably
not what you want.

Try this page to find the link and download it again:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi

Just download the jakarta-tomcat-4.1.29.zip file, unzip it wherever you
prefer (in a path with NO SPACES preferably). Then put yourself in the
'bin' directory and try the startup.bat file again. (I start with:
'catalina.bat jpda start' for debugging.)

Shane Mingins

Prabh said:
Hello all,
I've just downloaded TOMCAT 4.1.29 on WIN XP and trying to start it
up.
From the bin folder of TOMCAT, I tried running the .bat file,
"startup".
Nothing much seemed to happen. I ran "shutdown" .bat and it fails
complaining:

Not sure if of any help. When I installed Tomcat on Windows 2000 it created
all the shortcuts for me ... did this not happen for you? Did you download
the .exe and run it?

The start icon runs
"C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\bin\java.exe -jar -Duser.dir="C:\tomcat"
"C:\tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar" start"

Cheers
Shane