Problems with Running .Net v1.1 and v2.0 on Single Server?

Guest

Here's my scenario:

I have several ASP.NET applications built on .Net 1.1.x running on a Win2K3
IIS6.0 app/web server. Most of these are in-house, but one is purchased,
meaning I do not have a full grasp of its internal architecture/functioning.

I am currently looking to deploy an ASP.NET app built with v2.0 - hopefully
to this same server. I have not yet installed the .NET 2.0 redistributabe on
this server, but I'm concerned about the potential impact on my existing
applications. A test server would be optimal, but I do not have the
available resources (or frankly the time), to get a reasonably approximate
simulation up and running.

My Questions:
1. If I install the v2.0 redistributable on my production server, will it
reset all of the aspnet_isapi.dll's on the server to the 2.0 version? Also,
are there other places such as Environment Variables, etc where the .Net
versions or "default version" are defined in the OS?

NOTE: I have checked the "Configuration" tab of an application in IIS on my
old workstation (Win2K, IIS 5.0) with both versions installed, and I can
manually reset this, but it would be a considerable task to do on the
production server, and I guess I'm asking about anything else I might need to
change.

2. Are there any issues running both versions 1.1 and 2.0 of .Net in
parallel on the same server?

3. After I install v2.0, will this be the default for new
Applications/Virtual Directories and WebSites created on that machine?

4. Are there other "X-Factor" issues I'd need to be aware of or careful
about in considering the install of v2.0?

Obviously, only the developers of my purchased application can provide me
with specifics for their code, but I guess I'm looking for any general
"landmines" people would be nice enough to point out.

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

Regards,

Chris Frohlich

Guest

They run fine on our servers side-by-side, but you do have to be aware of the
little things.
1) as you note, the asp.net tab must point to the correct version of the
framework. This is something you always want to verify. Nothing in the
defaults should change, meaning your new sites will all be targeted to 1.1.
As I said, always verify.
2) you MUST run the 1.1 and 2.0 apps in different app pools. Before we
understood this we continually hung IIS.

Our production sites are all standalone. I dont have any sites with both
1.1 and 2.0 virtuals; someone else will have to answer that.