project classpath file being edited

David McDivitt

In Websphere, I wrote an app which is supposed to use a service project.
Going through the service project worked fine on my workstation app server,
but they were unable to get the service project working on the big app
server. So I copied all the code and jars from the service project into my
app, edited the classpath file, and attempted to run it that way. Each time
I tried to run the app, I discovered that the references in the classpath
file were being deleted from the classpath file. Finally, I wrote a VB
program to open the classpath file with exclusive write, and load that
program before starting Websphere. This allowed the app to run without the
classpath file changing, and the app worked OK. I am also able to deploy to
the big app server and have the app run there, because everything needed is
deployed with the app.

We use PVCS for source code archiving. When checking files in or out of
PVCS, going back and forth from my workspace, I keep getting a nuisance
prompt asking if I want to check out the classpath file. Of course I don't
want to check out the classpath file, but whatever thing in Websphere that's
trying to edit the classpath file is causing PVCS to try and check it out.
Of course it would not succeed, because I have the classpath file locked,
but the prompt is a pain in the ass and I want it to go away.

I did a scan of files on my hard disk hoping to find what's trying to change
the classpath file. For the scan I used the word "classpath" and of course
got too many files. I found no files containing any of the text, or
references that are being deleted from the classpath file. My hope was to
change a character so ".classpath" would have a different name, or searched
for text would not be found.

Since getting my app to work, someone else upstairs was able to get service
processes to work. But I like having the stuff in the app and not going
through a service process, since I already have that working, and no one
else will be using it. Any thoughts about what program or class on my
workstation keeps trying to edit the classpath file would be appreciated.