Project naming suggestions?

miller.paul.w

I'm considering writing a little interpreter for a python-like
language and I'm looking for name suggestions. :)

Basically, I don't want to change a whole lot about Python. In fact,
I see myself starting with the compiler module from Python 2.5 and
building from there.

This language would be more or less "Python modulo a few
(incompatible) changes, but it'd be recognizable by Python
programmers. I'm talking about stuff like "allowing the character '?'
in identifier names," and "a better way to express 'for dummy in
xrange (n):' when the index isn't needed." I'd also like to
implement most of the planned Python 3000 changes.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking "Ophidian," for the snake connection,
or, possibly, "Circus," from "Monty Python's Flying Circus."

Thanks :)

miller.paul.w

How about "Whython"?

/W

I like it. :p

If you were wondering why I was thinking of doing this project, the
reason is basically that I want to tinker with a programming language,
and Python is the one I know best. The fact that there is a compiler
module written in Python that I can modify is a huge plus. I don't
necessarily intend for anything in the language to be incorporated in
Python. I just see it as a playground type project.

Stefan Behnel

I'm considering writing a little interpreter for a python-like
language [...]
I'd also like to implement most of the planned Python 3000 changes.

In case you're interested in a real project, consider taking a look at Cython,
which is a Python-to-C compiler for writing C extension modules in a
Python-like language.

http://cython.org

Stefan

alex23

I really like the Whython suggestion :)

Phil Hassey is currently working on a small python derivative called
tinypy. It's so recent I don't think he's gotten a project page up for
it, so you'd need to backtrack through his blog posts for an overview.
But as he's just done a _lot_ of what you're about to do, it would
make a great basis for prototyping your ideas.

Hope this helps.

-alex23

Kay Schluehr

I'm considering writing a little interpreter for a python-like
language and I'm looking for name suggestions. :)

Basically, I don't want to change a whole lot about Python. In fact,
I see myself starting with the compiler module from Python 2.5 and
building from there.

This language would be more or less "Python modulo a few
(incompatible) changes, but it'd be recognizable by Python
programmers. I'm talking about stuff like "allowing the character '?'
in identifier names," and "a better way to express 'for dummy in
xrange (n):' when the index isn't needed." I'd also like to
implement most of the planned Python 3000 changes.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking "Ophidian," for the snake connection,
or, possibly, "Circus," from "Monty Python's Flying Circus."

Thanks :)

What about "Argh!". Sounds like Paul Grahams Arc but is more Monty
Pythonesque than "Circus".

Neil Cerutti

I'm considering writing a little interpreter for a python-like
language and I'm looking for name suggestions. :)

Basically, I don't want to change a whole lot about Python. In fact,
I see myself starting with the compiler module from Python 2.5 and
building from there.

This language would be more or less "Python modulo a few
(incompatible) changes, but it'd be recognizable by Python
programmers. I'm talking about stuff like "allowing the character '?'
in identifier names," and "a better way to express 'for dummy in
xrange (n):' when the index isn't needed." I'd also like to
implement most of the planned Python 3000 changes.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking "Ophidian," for the snake connection,
or, possibly, "Circus," from "Monty Python's Flying Circus."

Given your stated goals, I like "Phyton."