    anyone been able to connect to a different ORB using the naming service?

    Thanks
    Melissa

    Melissa Wallis, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Melissa Wallis

    Noah Guest

    "Melissa Wallis" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am using python and omniORB for a client program. The server is on
    > another machine using an ACE TAO orb. I have been unable to figure out how
    > to talk to a different naming service without using the IOR. I will not
    > always have the IOR available so I need to use the naming service. Has
    > anyone been able to connect to a different ORB using the naming service?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Melissa

    It's been a while since I worked with CORBA, but
    I seem to remember that you have to connect
    by IP or hostname and the port.
    Maybe they have something more magical now.

    Yours,
    Noah

    Noah, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Noah wrote:

    > It's been a while since I worked with CORBA, but
    > I seem to remember that you have to connect
    > by IP or hostname and the port.
    > Maybe they have something more magical now.

    They have the corbaloc: and corbaname: IORs.
    See the COSNaming spec, ftp://ftp.omg.org/pub/docs/ptc/00-08-07.pdf

    (haven't used them so I don't know more about this...)

    --IRmen

    Irmen de Jong, Feb 24, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    Melissa Wallis <> wrote:

    >I am using python and omniORB for a client program. The server is on
    >another machine using an ACE TAO orb. I have been unable to figure out how
    >to talk to a different naming service without using the IOR. I will not
    >always have the IOR available so I need to use the naming service. Has
    >anyone been able to connect to a different ORB using the naming service?

    Configure omniORB with a line like this in its config file:

    InitRef = NameService=corbaname::my.host.name:port

    putting in the right host name and port for TAO's naming service. If
    TAO uses the default port of 2809, you can miss out the port number.

    Then you can just get hold of the name service with code like:

    orb = CORBA.ORB_init()
    obj = orb.resolve_initial_references("NameService")
    ns = obj._narrow(CosNaming.NamingContext)

    Cheers,

    Duncan.

    --
    -- Duncan Grisby --