Python, CORBA and Naming Service

Melissa Wallis

I am using python and omniORB for a client program. The server is on
another machine using an ACE TAO orb. I have been unable to figure out how
to talk to a different naming service without using the IOR. I will not
always have the IOR available so I need to use the naming service. Has
anyone been able to connect to a different ORB using the naming service?

Thanks
Melissa

Noah

Melissa Wallis said:
I am using python and omniORB for a client program. The server is on
another machine using an ACE TAO orb. I have been unable to figure out how
to talk to a different naming service without using the IOR. I will not
always have the IOR available so I need to use the naming service. Has
anyone been able to connect to a different ORB using the naming service?

Thanks
Melissa

It's been a while since I worked with CORBA, but
I seem to remember that you have to connect
by IP or hostname and the port.
Maybe they have something more magical now.

Yours,
Noah

Irmen de Jong

Noah said:
It's been a while since I worked with CORBA, but
I seem to remember that you have to connect
by IP or hostname and the port.
Maybe they have something more magical now.

They have the corbaloc: and corbaname: IORs.
See the COSNaming spec, ftp://ftp.omg.org/pub/docs/ptc/00-08-07.pdf

(haven't used them so I don't know more about this...)

--IRmen

Duncan Grisby

Melissa Wallis said:
I am using python and omniORB for a client program. The server is on
another machine using an ACE TAO orb. I have been unable to figure out how
to talk to a different naming service without using the IOR. I will not
always have the IOR available so I need to use the naming service. Has
anyone been able to connect to a different ORB using the naming service?

Configure omniORB with a line like this in its config file:

InitRef = NameService=corbaname::my.host.name:port

putting in the right host name and port for TAO's naming service. If
TAO uses the default port of 2809, you can miss out the port number.

Then you can just get hold of the name service with code like:

orb = CORBA.ORB_init()
obj = orb.resolve_initial_references("NameService")
ns = obj._narrow(CosNaming.NamingContext)

Cheers,

Duncan.