Python IDE/text-editor

TP

I confirm :)

I normally use emacs for basic text editing, tried Komodo, Eric, and
IDLE but prefer WingIDE when writing Python code. In particular, the
debugger is really nice. (Of course I also like Visual Studio when
writing/debugging C/C++/C# so maybe I'm just weird).

A new non-free up-and-comer to consider is JetBrain's PyCharm.

And there is PyDev for Eclipse (but I personally tend to avoid Java
based programs).

John Bokma

candide said:
Le 16/04/2011 15:50, Adam Tauno Williams a écrit :

I agree, cf. this screenshot :

http://i52.tinypic.com/snj7a0.jpg

The name "Terminal" suggests something different, and that can be
achieved in Emacs as well. Just split a window vertical & horizontal,
enable tabbar-mode[1], and open a shell in the bottom one, overview of the
buffers to the left, and your hello_world.py to the top right.

[1] which is part of the Emacs version I am using, I just learned.

Westley Martínez

--
John Bokma j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/ Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/

Either way doesn't it require python be installed on the system?

Chris Angelico

Either way doesn't it require python be installed on the system?

Most Python development is going to require that...

I'm rather puzzled by this question; I think I've misunderstood it.
You can't run Python programs without a Python interpreter installed.

Chris Angelico

Wolfgang Keller

You can't run Python programs without a Python interpreter installed.

Wrong.

See e.g. http://www.portablepython.com/

BTW: Imho, the Python interpreter should be made
"portable" ("zero-install") _by default_. "Installing" it should be
purely optional.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

Chris Angelico

Uhm... how does that disprove? Whatever language you distributed code
is in, you need something on the computer that can read it. Only pure
machine code needs no interpreter (and even that's arguable, but the
interpreter is in hardware instead of software). With code that's
distributed in source form (all interpreted / shell languages, plus
most open source C/C++ code today), you need to have a
language-specific interpreter or compiler before you can run it.

Chris Angelico

Westley Martínez

Most Python development is going to require that...

I'm rather puzzled by this question; I think I've misunderstood it.
You can't run Python programs without a Python interpreter installed.

Chris Angelico

Didn't the OP ask for a portable system, i.e. you can carry everything
around on a flash drive and pop it into any computer? Or is he just
asking that the editor be portable?

Cameron Simpson

| On Sat, 2011-04-16, Alec Taylor wrote:
| > Thanks, but non of the IDEs so far suggested have an embedded python
| > interpreter AND tabs...
| > emacs having the opposite problem, missing tabs (also,
| > selecting text with my mouse is something I do often).
|
| Does it *have* to be tabs? Why? Both Emacs and Vim can have multiple
| files open, and have various powerful ways to navigate between them.

If I'm using tabs I tend to use a tabbed terminal emulator (Terminal or
iTerm on MacOSX of late), and run vi and shells and python interpreters
in various tabs. My normal programming workspace has two terminals side
by side - an editing terminal and a "running stuff" terminal.

I'm a vi/vim user, though that's just what my fingers are happy with.

I'm not an IDE person - I just make my work environment from my
preferred editor and some terminals (and, under X11, a good window
manager - I like FVWM). That way one can pick the pieces one likes
and use them together.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <[email protected]> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The more I ride the more I notice and the more fearful I become
- somebody on rec.moto

harrismh777

Terry said:
Could you exlain?
When does it do that with a file labelled .py?

.... never seen this behavior in IDLE with a .py file; not even once.

I take that back... there was the time I tried to run IDLE on the mac
mini with Apple built-in tcltk on Snow Leopard... 'till I found out that
tk on the mac is not stable with the built-in tcltk... which I found
very suspicious for Apple's part...

.... by the by, if I down-load tcltk from sources and recompile, along
with Python32 from sources, will things be stable on the mac??

kind regards,
m harris

Wolfgang Keller

You can't run Python programs without a Python interpreter
Uhm... how does that disprove?

Which part of the word "installed" don't you understand while actually
using it? >;->
Whatever language you distributed code
is in, you need something on the computer that can read it.

The point is that you don't need to _install_ it. If the developer has
a brain.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

Chris Angelico

Which part of the word "installed" don't you understand while actually
using it? >;->

I have various programs which I distribute in zip/tgz format, and also
as a self-extracting executable on Windows. Does this mean they need
to be "installed" only under Windows? No. They need to be installed to
be run, it's just that the installer is unzip or tar.

(FYI, we "installed" a new minister in the church's manse a few weeks
ago. Didn't involve anything more than a mv.)

Chris Angelico

flebber

I have various programs which I distribute in zip/tgz format, and also
as a self-extracting executable on Windows. Does this mean they need
to be "installed" only under Windows? No. They need to be installed to
be run, it's just that the installer is unzip or tar.

(FYI, we "installed" a new minister in the church's manse a few weeks
ago. Didn't involve anything more than a mv.)

Chris Angelico
WTF
it's just that the installer is unzip or tar.
If I take my clothes out of my luggage bag have i just installed them?
Don't think so unless your new minister is wearing them lol.

Sayth

Ton van Vliet

Good Afternoon,

I'm looking for an IDE which offers syntax-highlighting,
code-completion, tabs, an embedded interpreter and which is portable
(for running from USB on Windows).

Here's a mockup of the app I'm looking for: http://i52.tinypic.com/2uojswz.png

Which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Alec Taylor

For the record, do have a look at the Python Toolkit (PTK) project at
http://pythontoolkit.sourceforge.net/

There is a platform independant source (.zip), however wxPython is a
requirement (so possibly not 'exactly' what you are looking for)

Alec Taylor

Geany I've tried in the past, it's really buggy on my home computer
and at Uni... however from my phone it works wonderfully! (Use it for
C++ projects on Rhobuntu)

Eric 4 was suggested to me on the #python channel on Freenode...
however I've never been able to get it compiled/working. Too many
dependencies I'm guessing...

PTK looks great, and does everything I want (from screenshots).
Unfortunately, it doesn't run on my system; Win7 x64, Python 2.7.1
x64, WxPython 2.8 x64. Install ran as admin.

Emacs and vim still seem like good alternatives, when I get the time.
However, currently have 3 assignments to start and finish so would
like a simple Notepad2 with python interpreter attached (and keyboard
shortcut to run script) type program.

Please continue recommending

Thanks,

Alec Taylor

Didn't the OP ask for a portable system, i.e. you can carry everything
around on a flash drive and pop it into any computer? Or is he just
asking that the editor be portable?

Yep, flash-drive portable if you please =]

Andrea Crotti

Alec Taylor said:
Emacs and vim still seem like good alternatives, when I get the time.
However, currently have 3 assignments to start and finish so would
like a simple Notepad2 with python interpreter attached (and keyboard
shortcut to run script) type program.

Please continue recommending

I warmly recommend to change posting style, this time you top-posted
*and* also posted below some quoted text.

If you really have to top post (which is normally bad) at least don't
also post below other text, otherwise people will not see what you wrote
below, because they assume that you wrote everything on top.

About the editor keep in mind that if you continue to change program
you'll not surely be faster or more productive ;)

Alec Taylor

The current finalists:

Editra with PyShell in Shelf

Pros: Syntax highlighting, tabs, ¿portable? and embedded python
interpreter (PyShell 0.8)
Cons: No run button or keyboard shortcut for quick running of script
(made issue: http://code.google.com/p/editra/issues/detail?id=641) and
doesn't save settings changes for editor

PyScripter

Pros: Syntax highlighting, tabs, ¿portable?, embedded python
interpreter, keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+F9 [though would prefer single
key...]) and run button
Cons: Unmaintained, so doesn't support x64 and has a few bugs

UliPad

Pros: Syntax highlighting, tabs, ¿portable?, embedded python
interpreter, keyboard shortcut (F5) and run button
Cons: Command-prompt window appears whenever script is run (could be
admin issues at Uni) and is unmaintained, so can expect bugs and
non-modern interfaces for length of use

Please continue suggesting Python IDEs and/or fixes for the above Cons.

Thanks,

Alec Taylor

FYI: I can't test Kate, as all the mirrors I've tried have no files on them..