Q: good time to buy the camel book?

David Petrou

hi. i was thinking of buying the 3rd ed. of the camel book. i peruse
my 2nd ed. copy with increasing regularity and would prefer reading
the newer edition.

however, the 3rd ed. is copyright 2000 and we're over half done with
2003, which seems like a long time for something like perl. how
likely is it that a 4th ed. will come out in the next 6 months or so?

thanks!
david, not quite another perl hacker

Bob X

David Petrou said:
hi. i was thinking of buying the 3rd ed. of the camel book. i peruse
my 2nd ed. copy with increasing regularity and would prefer reading
the newer edition.

however, the 3rd ed. is copyright 2000 and we're over half done with
2003, which seems like a long time for something like perl. how
likely is it that a 4th ed. will come out in the next 6 months or so?
You could ask the folks at O'Reilly.

David Oswald

David Petrou said:
hi. i was thinking of buying the 3rd ed. of the camel book. i peruse
my 2nd ed. copy with increasing regularity and would prefer reading
the newer edition.

however, the 3rd ed. is copyright 2000 and we're over half done with
2003, which seems like a long time for something like perl. how
likely is it that a 4th ed. will come out in the next 6 months or so?

thanks!
david, not quite another perl hacker

I still find the 2nd edition quite helpful. When I need the "final word" or
more up-to-date information I just go to the POD's. The book gets me
heading in the right direction and then the POD's fill in the blanks or
bring me up to speed on later developments.

That said, I'll probably end up getting the Camel book anyway, for its more
updated coverage of CPAN modules, core modules, more thorough description of
regexps, etc.

But don't expect to ever own a printed book that is as up to date as Perl's
PODs.