    likely is it that a 4th ed. will come out in the next 6 months or so?

    thanks!
    david, not quite another perl hacker
    David Petrou, Oct 13, 2003

  2. David Petrou

    Bob X Guest

    Re: good time to buy the camel book?

    "David Petrou" <> wrote in message
    news:bmcuuf$cam$...
    > hi. i was thinking of buying the 3rd ed. of the camel book. i peruse
    > my 2nd ed. copy with increasing regularity and would prefer reading
    > the newer edition.
    >
    > however, the 3rd ed. is copyright 2000 and we're over half done with
    > 2003, which seems like a long time for something like perl. how
    > likely is it that a 4th ed. will come out in the next 6 months or so?

    You could ask the folks at O'Reilly.
    Bob X, Oct 13, 2003

  3. David Petrou

    David Oswald Guest

    > hi. i was thinking of buying the 3rd ed. of the camel book. i peruse
    > my 2nd ed. copy with increasing regularity and would prefer reading
    > the newer edition.
    >
    > however, the 3rd ed. is copyright 2000 and we're over half done with
    > 2003, which seems like a long time for something like perl. how
    > likely is it that a 4th ed. will come out in the next 6 months or so?
    >
    > thanks!
    > david, not quite another perl hacker

    I still find the 2nd edition quite helpful. When I need the "final word" or
    more up-to-date information I just go to the POD's. The book gets me
    heading in the right direction and then the POD's fill in the blanks or
    bring me up to speed on later developments.

    That said, I'll probably end up getting the Camel book anyway, for its more
    updated coverage of CPAN modules, core modules, more thorough description of
    regexps, etc.

    But don't expect to ever own a printed book that is as up to date as Perl's
    PODs.
    David Oswald, Oct 13, 2003