Q. How to dynamically update a web page, from user's input?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jim Jones, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Jim Jones

    Jim Jones Guest

    Hi,

    I wantt o make a simple web pae, as an advertisement for a car repair
    service. This is more of a friend to friend thing, rather than a paid
    work assignment.

    I want to know how or what would be the best tool(s) to use, in this
    scenario:

    OK, he has a busy auto shop, repairing cars, and other equipment.
    On some days, he may be so busy, he has to schedule his breathing.

    How, by logging in to the net, could he fill out a simple form and
    submit it to the net, and have it update a simple schedule on the
    simple web page I'll create for him, to indicate something to the
    effect of:

    On a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being busiest, John's shop for this week
    looks like this:

    Monday 3
    Tuesday 2
    Wednesday 5
    Thursday 6
    Friday 7

    Customers, for this week, please note the lower numbers would be
    better days for you to bring your car in for service.

    I hope I've explained myself clearly enough, if not, I'd be delighted
    to expand further, but let's keep this thread here, for others who may
    possible wonder about such a task.

    Thanks for any help,

    Jim
    Jim Jones, Sep 14, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    says...

    http://www.php.net/
    http://www.mysql.com/

    --
    Hywel
    Hywel Jenkins, Sep 14, 2003

  3. > I want to know how or what would be the best tool(s) to use, in this
    > scenario:

    There are so many different tools available to you, the fact you need to ask
    this sort f question quite possibly means you've not got that much
    experience so I'd stick to something simple.

    Why not just upload different pages for busy, not so busy etc ...

    If you want to get more complicated and use forms you will need to add a
    database of some description.

    Using a simple database and ASP code you could achieve this task quite
    easily and with little code but you need to know how to write ASP code and
    get it to create an on-the-fly web page. You will also need to set up your
    friends site with a host etc etc ....

    If this guy is so busy why doesn't he pay someone to do the work for him ?

    If you really want to do this start by making the HTML pages with some nice
    graphics on and then get someone to host these pages for you. When you're
    happy with this code and you can access it on the net then try making a form
    and using an ASP page to translate this form. When you've done this then go
    for the database.
    Chris Leonard, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Jim Jones

    Jim Jones Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:14:34 +0000 (UTC), "Chris Leonard"
    <> wrote:

    >> I want to know how or what would be the best tool(s) to use, in this
    >> scenario:

    >There are so many different tools available to you, the fact you need to ask
    >this sort f question quite possibly means you've not got that much
    >experience

    gee, you think that's why i may have posted such an inquiry?
    wild guess, but i'd say it is.

    >so I'd stick to something simple.
    >
    >Why not just upload different pages for busy, not so busy etc ...
    >
    >If you want to get more complicated and use forms you will need to add a
    >database of some description.
    >
    >Using a simple database and ASP code you could achieve this task quite
    >easily and with little code but you need to know how to write ASP code and
    >get it to create an on-the-fly web page. You will also need to set up your
    >friends site with a host etc etc ....
    >
    >If this guy is so busy why doesn't he pay someone to do the work for him ?

    Now, why would you ask something totally non-related to what I posted
    in the original thread?

    >If you really want to do this start by making the HTML pages with some nice
    >graphics on and then get someone to host these pages for you. When you're
    >happy with this code and you can access it on the net then try making a form
    >and using an ASP page to translate this form. When you've done this then go
    >for the database.

    Chris, I kindly ask you not to bother with future questions I post
    here.

    Jim
    Jim Jones, Sep 14, 2003
  5. Jim Jones

    Jim Jones Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:00:09 +0100, Hywel Jenkins
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I wantt o make a simple web pae, as an advertisement for a car repair
    >> service. This is more of a friend to friend thing, rather than a paid
    >> work assignment.
    >>
    >> I want to know how or what would be the best tool(s) to use, in this
    >> scenario:
    >>
    >> OK, he has a busy auto shop, repairing cars, and other equipment.
    >> On some days, he may be so busy, he has to schedule his breathing.
    >>
    >> How, by logging in to the net, could he fill out a simple form and
    >> submit it to the net, and have it update a simple schedule on the
    >> simple web page I'll create for him, to indicate something to the
    >> effect of:

    >http://www.php.net/
    >http://www.mysql.com/

    Thank You. They seem like interesting options for what I venture.
    Now I have a decent clue.

    Jim
    Jim Jones, Sep 14, 2003
  6. Jim Jones wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:14:34 +0000 (UTC), "Chris Leonard"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I want to know how or what would be the best tool(s) to use, in this
    >>> scenario:

    >> If this guy is so busy why doesn't he pay someone to do the work for
    >> him ?

    > Now, why would you ask something totally non-related to what I posted
    > in the original thread?

    This is usenet, not your personal helpdesk. Things get discussed, chewed
    over and sapt out on news groups. Live with it.

    > Chris, I kindly ask you not to bother with future questions I post
    > here.

    Please leave your ego at the door. Don't be so sensitive.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Sep 15, 2003