    Every site owner likes keep his site alive by paying the fees for it. But sometimes he just cannot, due to a variety of reasons. Actually he has to stop the payment eventually when he dies. What would happen to the pages on the site then?

    Thanks for the information.
    fulio pen
    fulio pen, Jul 21, 2012

  2. On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 06:09:49 -0700, fulio pen wrote:

    > What will happen if he stops the payment?

    If a customer stops paying a service provider for a service, the service
    provider usually stops providing the service.

    A commercially operated web host provides a hosting service for payment,
    this often includes (a) the ability to upload files / edit your website
    using the ftp protocol, (b) the ability to download / display your
    website using the http protocol, and may include other related abilities.
    Usually you would not expect any part of the service to be provided in
    the event of non payment.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
    Denis McMahon, Jul 21, 2012

  3. On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 06:09:49 -0700 (PDT), fulio pen
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >A web site owner pays a monthly or annual fee to the hosting service for his site. He thus can upload pages to it. And other people can visit it.
    >
    >What will happen if he stops the payment? Of course he will not be able to update the site by uploading new pages. Can other people continue to view the old pages? Or will all the pages be deleted?
    >
    >Every site owner likes keep his site alive by paying the fees for it. But sometimes he just cannot, due to a variety of reasons. Actually he has to stop the payment eventually when he dies. What would happen to the pages on the site then?
    >
    >Thanks for the information.
    >fulio pen

    It depends on the hosting arrangement. Some companies will take down
    the site very quickly, others give months of warning emails before
    removing sites.

    Steve

    --
    Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com
    Stephen Wolstenholme, Jul 21, 2012
  4. Denis McMahon wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 06:09:49 -0700, fulio pen wrote:
    >
    >> What will happen if he stops the payment?

    > If a customer stops paying a service provider for a service, the service
    > provider usually stops providing the service.
    >
    > A commercially operated web host provides a hosting service for payment,
    > this often includes (a) the ability to upload files / edit your website
    > using the ftp protocol, (b) the ability to download / display your
    > website using the http protocol, and may include other related abilities.
    > Usually you would not expect any part of the service to be provided in
    > the event of non payment.

    On Debian it's a one-liner

    sudo a2dissite deadbeat.site && sudo apache2ctl restart

    or non-macro old fashion way

    sudo rm /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/deadbeat.site && sudo
    /etc/init.d/apache2 reload

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 21, 2012
  5. fulio pen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <juecvh$51j$>,
    Denis McMahon <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 06:09:49 -0700, fulio pen wrote:
    >
    > > What will happen if he stops the payment?

    > If a customer stops paying a service provider for a service, the service
    > provider usually stops providing the service.
    >
    > A commercially operated web host provides a hosting service for payment,
    > this often includes (a) the ability to upload files / edit your website
    > using the ftp protocol, (b) the ability to download / display your
    > website using the http protocol, and may include other related abilities.
    > Usually you would not expect any part of the service to be provided in
    > the event of non payment.
    >
    > Rgds
    >
    > Denis McMahon

    You don't say! I gather that motherhood on this planet are regarded in
    a sympathetic way.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 21, 2012
  6. fulio pen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    fulio pen <> wrote:

    > A web site owner pays ... the hosting service for his
    > site.
    >
    > What will happen if he stops the payment?

    Sometimes, at least, various pages stay up for years, I had a case of
    this the other day. But mostly, commercial hosts delete all your files
    fairly quickly.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 21, 2012
  7. fulio pen

    Gordon Levi Guest

    fulio pen <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >A web site owner pays a monthly or annual fee to the hosting service for his site. He thus can upload pages to it. And other people can visit it.
    >
    >What will happen if he stops the payment? Of course he will not be able to update the site by uploading new pages. Can other people continue to view the old pages? Or will all the pages be deleted?
    >
    >Every site owner likes keep his site alive by paying the fees for it. But sometimes he just cannot, due to a variety of reasons. Actually he has to stop the payment eventually when he dies. What would happen to the pages on the site then?
    >
    >Thanks for the information.
    >fulio pen

    My only experience is with a free web site at <http://000Webhost.com>
    but I am reasonably confident that other hosts would do something
    similar. When they terminate the service, in my case because no one
    had visited for a period that they had specified, there was no remote
    access to the site by FTP or HTTP. However, I could log in to my
    account and reinstate the site. In your case I assume you would need
    to pay first. I don't know how long a hosting service would keep a
    dead site but the time is probably fairly arbitrary depending on their
    current disk capacity.
    Gordon Levi, Jul 22, 2012
  8. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Sunday, July 22, 2012 11:24:24 AM UTC-4, Gordon Levi wrote:
    > fulio pen &lt;&gt; wrote:
    >
    > &gt;Hello,
    > &gt;
    > &gt;A web site owner pays a monthly or annual fee to the hosting service for his site. He thus can upload pages to it. And other people can visit it.
    > &gt;
    > &gt;What will happen if he stops the payment? Of course he will not be able to update the site by uploading new pages. Can other people continue toview the old pages? Or will all the pages be deleted?
    > &gt;
    > &gt;Every site owner likes keep his site alive by paying the fees for it.But sometimes he just cannot, due to a variety of reasons. Actually he has to stop the payment eventually when he dies. What would happen to the pages on the site then?
    > &gt;
    > &gt;Thanks for the information.
    > &gt;fulio pen
    >
    > My only experience is with a free web site at &lt;http://000Webhost.com&gt;
    > but I am reasonably confident that other hosts would do something
    > similar. When they terminate the service, in my case because no one
    > had visited for a period that they had specified, there was no remote
    > access to the site by FTP or HTTP. However, I could log in to my
    > account and reinstate the site. In your case I assume you would need
    > to pay first. I don't know how long a hosting service would keep a
    > dead site but the time is probably fairly arbitrary depending on their
    > current disk capacity.

    Fairly sad. As an old man, I wish my site would continue to be online for some time, three years for instance, after I die. Other people of same interest will have a chance to visit it. They may get some revelations from my ideas, which will help their own work. Hope web sites can stay online as books on the shelf.

    Thanks for your information.

    fulio pen
    fulio pen, Jul 22, 2012
  9. fulio pen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    fulio pen <> wrote:

    > As an old man, I wish my site would continue to be online for some time,
    > three years for instance, after I die.

    No need to merely wish, pay three years in advance to a one or two
    very reputable hosts. It is will be like nothing compared to the cost
    of the funeral and headstone.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 22, 2012