Question about Java applets and web servers

Dave Rathnow

We've recently started embedding Java Applets in our web pages
and have hit some problems that I'm sure others have hit and solved.
I was wondering if people could share solutions with me.

The obvious problem is the restriction on where the browser allows
the applet to open a network connection to. We have an application
that the applets needs to connect to but it is behind a firewall. We can
open a socket back to the web server but that doesn't do much for
us. How do others solve this problem? Is there a way around this?
What are the steps to get the browser to allow my applet to connect
to a host other than the host it loaded from?

Paul Lutus

Dave said:
We've recently started embedding Java Applets in our web pages
and have hit some problems that I'm sure others have hit and solved.
I was wondering if people could share solutions with me.

The obvious problem is the restriction on where the browser allows
the applet to open a network connection to. We have an application
that the applets needs to connect to but it is behind a firewall. We can
open a socket back to the web server but that doesn't do much for
us. How do others solve this problem? Is there a way around this?
What are the steps to get the browser to allow my applet to connect
to a host other than the host it loaded from?

Assuming the other reply was not crystal clear, this is a fundamental
limitation of applets. It is called the "security sandbox". To get around
it, you must use signed applets, in essence applets whose special
privileges the user understands and accepts.

Without signing the applet, the applet can only make contact with the server
that launched it.

JScoobyCed

Dave said:
We've recently started embedding Java Applets in our web pages
and have hit some problems that I'm sure others have hit and solved.
I was wondering if people could share solutions with me.

The obvious problem is the restriction on where the browser allows
the applet to open a network connection to. We have an application
that the applets needs to connect to but it is behind a firewall. We can
open a socket back to the web server but that doesn't do much for
us. How do others solve this problem? Is there a way around this?
What are the steps to get the browser to allow my applet to connect
to a host other than the host it loaded from?

This question is often posted here, reading the history from google
groups, or just the regulary posted Java Network Programming FAQ
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=a...roup=comp.lang.java.programmer&sa=G&scoring=d
and
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&rnum=2

marcus

c'mon paul -- I was just pointing him in the right direction. Since he
admitted the question had already been answered, I figured he only
needed the keywords for a search.

Paul Lutus

marcus said:
c'mon paul -- I was just pointing him in the right direction. Since he
admitted the question had already been answered, I figured he only
needed the keywords for a search.

Just posting a clarification, I saw nothing at all wrong with your post.

Dave Rathnow

I know I'm being lazy but could someone explain the processes of "signing an
applet"?

Thanks,
Dave.